Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 179010 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »
Is the language that the bonus is every 12 months, or that there is no bonus if the product was open within the last 12 months?

Let me google that for ya.

ETA:

Here ya go, from plat application:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »

ETA:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days."
In reference to that.. the lady on the fone told me today i wasnt eligible for the gold MR bonus points because once in the last year i had a zinc card- which i never got bonus points from- just the fact i HAD the card in the past year makes it ineligible for the bonus.. such nonsense!

Offline compddd

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:24 AM »
Looks like maybe the best practice for Amex now is to get your cards, get your points, then cancel everything and wait 12 months lol

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »
Looks like maybe the best practice for Amex now is to get your cards, get your points, then cancel everything and wait 12 months lol

Not looks like --it is the way to do it--maybe later others will find away around , but since we will not have a card we can partiapte

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »
Response      11/02/2012 02:13 PM

Dear Mr.xxxxx

Thank you for your reply and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I would like to inform you that if you apply for a new Card within the same product family in 12 months, you will not receive the welcome bonus again.

The following Cards are in the same product family in OPEN Cards:

-   Business Green Card
-   Business Green Rewards Card
-   Business Gold Card
-   Business Gold Rewards Card
-   Business Platinum Card

As you already have a Business Gold Rewards Card, you will not receive welcome bonus on Business Platinum Card now.

I appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,             

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2012, 03:19:26 AM »
Response (Singh)     11/01/2012 03:21 PM
Dear Mr.xxxxxxxxx,
Thank you for the information provided.
I have consulted with my supervisor and confirmed that you will not receive the bonus points if you apply this month.
This is because Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card was cancelled on 01/30/2012. This Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card is considered as one of the Platinum card product.
So, as the terms "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days"Please reply if you need further clarifications.
Sincerely,                                   

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2012, 04:03:14 AM »
But then you have to know where to transfer them. The nice part is having the flexibility.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2012, 04:12:03 AM »
But then you have to know where to transfer them. The nice part is having the flexibility.

for me not a prblm -- will transfer to delta  they have the only none stop from ath-ny -- or any other partner that fits my needs at the time -- i will give up the flex so that i can re-get card-- can not have our cake and eat it too

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »

ETA:

According to the intentionally vague T & Cs Amex has closed every loophole if they choose to interpret
the T & Cs as they like , for anyone who has had one of each family of cards within the last year and more.

Tell me which card you want and what you had in the past , and a case could be made to turn down
bonus eligibility for every one of them !

Intentional 6 degrees of separation to grant them bonus denial rights, to every pre existing card holder  IMHO
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:40:33 AM by PETERP »

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
So have we figured out if the 12 months rule starts from the date of approval or the date of closure for a card yet?

I would think/hope it would be 12 months from date of approval. Just make sure to cancel it 90 days before you apply for a new product right?

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
So have we figured out if the 12 months rule starts from the date of approval or the date of closure for a card yet?

I would think/hope it would be 12 months from date of approval. Just make sure to cancel it 90 days before you apply for a new product right?

LOL.  Its as clear as Mud isn't it  :)

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »
yeah Amex sucks royally now.

I'm sure Dan will still be able to churn cards whenever he wants to though because he's related to Harry Potter
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:37:45 AM by compddd »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
t&c (as well as certain SMs) indicate is date of closure.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
t&c (as well as certain SMs) indicate is date of closure.

If that's true then we are all screwed for Starwood 30k because they run that promo every August

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how I churned both SPG cards and the PRG with the new rules and got the points last month?
Are you telling me nobody else been able to do that??
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
because you're magical Dan. Expecto Patronum!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »

That implies closure, but the below, actually, implies application or awarding of points:

Hi Tzadik,
I have checked our records and see that on 06/05/2012 you have received 50,000 bonus points on another Platinum Card ending in *****. I also see that you cancelled this Card in June 2012.

As you have received 50,000 bonus points within 12 months, therefore, as per the standard policies of the company you are not eligible to earn another 50,000 bonus points on your Platinum Card ending in *****.

I hope you understand that we are bound by certain policies of the company.
Sincerely,
Indrani Shah
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

Response      11/02/2012 02:13 PM

Dear Mr.xxxxx

Thank you for your reply and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I would like to inform you that if you apply for a new Card within the same product family in 12 months, you will not receive the welcome bonus again.

The following Cards are in the same product family in OPEN Cards:

-   Business Green Card
-   Business Green Rewards Card
-   Business Gold Card
-   Business Gold Rewards Card
-   Business Platinum Card

As you already have a Business Gold Rewards Card, you will not receive welcome bonus on Business Platinum Card now.

I appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,             

I thought I saw somewhere that an SM implied otherwise, but no time to look further.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how I churned both SPG cards and the PRG with the new rules and got the points last month?
Are you telling me nobody else been able to do that??
And can you explain me why you're the only one her with red stars?
Are you telling me nobody else been able to do have that??
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
So if I have a Zync card right now I should cancel it and wait 90 days before applying for a gold or plat?

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
I got a response in an SM with a date for next year when I would be eligible for a p3ticular card. Then in a subsequent email it said having a plat mb would disqualify me from getting a bonus for that family of cards 
The Amex people don't fully understand their own terms and conditions yet
What chance do you think we have