Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 179057 times)

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #320 on: January 01, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
If you have an open green card within the last 3 months when you applied you won't get the bonus on the PRG or plat
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 01, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »
When you apply and find out I am right you can send through a coffee bean gift card as atonement. I'm always down for some coffee.
:D how could i turn down a challenge like that - btw i already applied and was approved  and it worked for my wife in the past so we'll find out soon enough for me

Offline CholentTheTraveler

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, United, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
« Reply #322 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
:D how could i turn down a challenge like that - btw i already applied and was approved  and it worked for my wife in the past so we'll find out soon enough for me
This is one of the rare times I hope I am wrong. You can post or drop it off in person either or works for me  8)

Offline nutcase

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 02, 2013, 01:31:57 AM »
I tried to call amex I have had good experience with them in the past, but they are giving me the run around transferred to supervisor then manager who says he will resolve it then I get disconnected when he put me on hold for over an hour... I just shot off a complaint via the bbb. does anyone have experience with amex and a bbb complaint?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 02, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »
I tried to call amex I have had good experience with them in the past, but they are giving me the run around transferred to supervisor then manager who says he will resolve it then I get disconnected when he put me on hold for over an hour... I just shot off a complaint via the bbb. does anyone have experience with amex and a bbb complaint?
WOW! I would have never done that.

Offline nutcase

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 02, 2013, 09:59:40 AM »
WOW! I would have never done that.
why not?????

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #326 on: January 02, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »
Because they did nothing wrong.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline nutcase

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 02, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
Because they did nothing wrong.
in your opinion. I disagree When I signed up in September only restriction I was aware of you can't get same bonus within 12 months. That said I think it is unfair to not give a promotion if the green card never had a bonus even first year i payed af. Never received any sign bonus ever

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »
I just find it difficult to file a compliant on a company that always goes above and beyond to please their costumers.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 02, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »
in your opinion. I disagree When I signed up in September only restriction I was aware of you can't get same bonus within 12 months. That said I think it is unfair to not give a promotion if the green card never had a bonus even first year i payed af. Never received any sign bonus ever
I still would not go to the BBB before explicitly saying that I will do so. I do not recall anyone here ever being wronged by Aemx.

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
Thats not their fault

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
I think he does have somewhat of a point.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #332 on: January 02, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
Thats not their fault
True, I have still managed to get a sign up bonus on a card, even though I had a different one.

I have the Green Biz card, and I got 75k for the Gold Biz.
I told them I didnt know. They did it as a courtesy for me. I actually spend a lot on my Business cards, and they told me I am a valuable customer.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
I just find it difficult to file a compliant on a company that always goes above and beyond to please their costumers.
that was the old amex.  these days it seems they hardly know they have customers.        any issue relating to not getting a bonus, even ones you're fully eligible for, they refuse to deal with it. rather they relay it to their "concerned/research department" whom you're unable to contact, and who might post the points in 2 months if they decide you're eligible.  cloak and dagger garbage.       

Offline isramen

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
the wont take back ur points as long as u havew another amex card that gives u the same type of miles link to ur account.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 02, 2013, 02:22:48 PM »
I received one of those pre approved offers in the mail for an amex gold card with 50k point bonus after spending 5k. I spent 5k and called amex to see when it will post. They said since I got the same gold card a few months earlier, they can not give me the bonus again. I responded that such a claim is ridiculous. I did not go online and apply for a second card. If that was the case they would be fully justified. Rather, I received an offer from them with the bonus clearly spelled out. Since I am a card holder they know (or should know) which cards I have and they have no right to turn around and renege on their own offer which I accepted! (ever studied business law? :))

The rep said she digs my argument, but her hands are tied so I spoke to someone higher up who also said they heard me out but couldn't do anything. Instead they opened a complaint and said they will be in touch in the future with the results.

Did anyone ever experience anything similar? What did you do? What was the final result? Any suggestions? (No, I am not hiring a lawyer.)
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »
I received one of those pre approved offers in the mail for an amex gold card with 50k point bonus after spending 5k. I spent 5k and called amex to see when it will post. They said since I got the same gold card a few months earlier, they can not give me the bonus again. I responded that such a claim is ridiculous. I did not go online and apply for a second card. If that was the case they would be fully justified. Rather, I received an offer from them with the bonus clearly spelled out. Since I am a card holder they know (or should know) which cards I have and they have no right to turn around and renege on their own offer which I accepted! (ever studied business law? :))

The rep said she digs my argument, but her hands are tied so I spoke to someone higher up who also said they heard me out but couldn't do anything. Instead they opened a complaint and said they will be in touch in the future with the results.

Did anyone ever experience anything similar? What did you do? What was the final result? Any suggestions? (No, I am not hiring a lawyer.)
Amex had new bonus terms...cant get a bonus on the same card if youv'e had it within the past 12 months

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=19144.0
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

I think he does have somewhat of a point.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 02, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
If I do a 2bm for plat+PRG, will I get the bonus on both? Or since they're in the same family I'll only get one?

Offline jake

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
This for the commenters stating that Amex can do no wrong. i posted this a few days ago http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23722.0. i will just paste my OP.

My wife and I recently applied separately for the amex business gold offer with 75k bonus with 10k spend. I got my bonus but they refuse to pay my wife her bonus. I used the same link and applied for both our accounts at the same time. I called them a few times and sent them messages via their site. They finally sent me a letter stating that the offer she signed up for was the "5x shipping and ad spend” or something like that , and they will not give her the 75k bonus.