Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 175989 times)

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #700 on: April 20, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
which deptmt did you write to? cuz whenever I try, they automatically forward it to the same "mashteen bakeer" gets hold of it and writes "I still rmember our previos discussions..." blah blah blah
Sorry to hear that. LOVE the name "mashteen bakeer", you should send him translation of his name in hebrew  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dirah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 20, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
OMG!
Mashteen Bakir!
Why not Al Haritzpa?   ::) ::)
Sorry to hear that. LOVE the name "mashteen bakeer", you should send him translation of his name in hebrew  ;D ;D ;D
מלכים ב פרק ט
ואבד כל בית אחאב והכרתי לאחאב משתין בקיר ועצור ועזוב בישראל
ונאמר אמן

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 20, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »
מלכים ב פרק ט
ואבד כל בית אחאב והכרתי לאחאב משתין בקיר ועצור ועזוב בישראל
ונאמר אמן
it's actually first used in shmuel aleph, where the context is more "exciting"...
Dovid is muttering to himself how he will wipe out Naval's whole family, and he won't leave not one "masteen bakeer" left...

btw, I don't think that was the rep's name, I think the poster changed it.. (or is is?)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 20, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »

btw, I don't think that was the rep's name, I think the poster changed it.. (or is is?)

yah, it's my friend's dad's joke. Ask Q274 what his Q number is

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 21, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »
it's actually first used in shmuel aleph, where the context is more "exciting"...
Dovid is muttering to himself how he will wipe out Naval's whole family, and he won't leave not one "masteen bakeer" left...
It appears close to ten times - just grabbed any.

Offline margol

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 22, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
well - wish I had read this thread before I applied for 2 gold biz gold reward cards - I currently have one for one of my biz's and applied for 2 other biz's - one of which got a plat bonus and cancelled the plat card last year.  bonus for the new cards didn't post - and I idiotically called to see where it was - and the rep told me - no bonus because I cancelled plat within 12 months - based on this thread - seems that my current biz gold for another company is really the issue to contend with - has anyone had any luck arguing that the card is for different entities?  I am going to write a sm but any advice is appreciated - I did read the first 7 pages of this post - but given the size of the post - I just can't read every page - my apologies in advance if this has been answered before and thanks in advance for anyone's help!!

JM

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 22, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
Anyone know what Nikita Negi's hours are or which dept.?

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 22, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
well - wish I had read this thread before I applied for 2 gold biz gold reward cards - I currently have one for one of my biz's and applied for 2 other biz's - one of which got a plat bonus and cancelled the plat card last year.  bonus for the new cards didn't post - and I idiotically called to see where it was - and the rep told me - no bonus because I cancelled plat within 12 months - based on this thread - seems that my current biz gold for another company is really the issue to contend with - has anyone had any luck arguing that the card is for different entities?  I am going to write a sm but any advice is appreciated - I did read the first 7 pages of this post - but given the size of the post - I just can't read every page - my apologies in advance if this has been answered before and thanks in advance for anyone's help!!

JM
Good luck, it doesn't seem likely.Only way people get it is if they give it automatically. I haven't seen anyone get it with SM/calling.  Terms are pretty clear on the app page. Sorry.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 22, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »
Good luck, it doesn't seem likely.Only way people get it is if they give it automatically. I haven't seen anyone get it with SM/calling.  Terms are pretty clear on the app page. Sorry.
There has been one:
was waiting for 50k points to show up on my gold amex business card- and its been a few months. I called several times and they told me i would get those points (i had a platinum card closed 2 months b4 that one) ps- i wrote them a sm and said im still waiting for those points when will i see them? and the rep told me i wont be getting them cus it was closed less than 3 months b4. I didnt bother fighting them cus ive tried it in the past and didnt get anywhere. I just wrote the rep a message back saying how frustrated i am how each rep tells me a diff thing, and im upset about this matter. PS- she wrote back:
Dear Mnm1130

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment and regret for the previous reply.

Please do not worry, as I value your membership with us, I have immediately issued 50,000 points to your account.

Please check your point balance after 24 hours at

I hope that I have addressed your concern to your satisfaction and also provided excellent customer service to you that you truly deserve.

Your membership since 2007 is truly valued and we look forward to serving you.

Have an excellent day!

Sincerely,     

Nikita Negi     
Email Servicing Team     
American Express Customer Care

YAY!

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
Response (Nikita Negi_MR)     04/17/2013 11:44 PM

Offline margol

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 22, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
Thanks all - will try!!  will report back bl'n - I have 150K miles riding on this one!!! 

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
Didn't get the bonus, and it turns out that I miscalculated close date by a couple of days.  >:( >:( >:(
AMEX provided me the exact close date.
Multiple SM's and HUCA's didn't help.

I guess the best current AMEX strategy is to close all cards ASAP after getting points, in order to reapply 12 months later.
That means no AMEX cards for me, for at least a couple of months.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Thanks all - will try!!  will report back bl'n - I have 150K miles riding on this one!!!
Hope Nikita Negi is on hand... :)
Good luck!

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »
I guess the best current AMEX strategy is to close all cards ASAP after getting points, in order to reapply 12 months later.
That means no AMEX cards for me, for at least a couple of months.
That's been my new MO for some time now :)

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 22, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
Didn't get the bonus, and it turns out that I miscalculated close date by a couple of days.  >:( >:( >:(
AMEX provided me the exact close date.
Multiple SM's and HUCA's didn't help.
As a last ditch effort, I called up and said that if I don't get the points, it is not worth paying the annual fee (Platinum), and I would like to close the account.
Rep responds, "Sir, I see that you have had five platinum cards in the last three years, and that each time you have closed the account shortly after getting the points. Is there a reason you apply for this card other than to get the points?"
Ouch.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 22, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
As a last ditch effort, I called up and said that if I don't get the points, it is not worth paying the annual fee (Platinum), and I would like to close the account.
Rep responds, "Sir, I see that you have had five platinum cards in the last three years, and that each time you have closed the account shortly after getting the points. Is there a reason you apply for this card other than to get the points?"
Ouch.
Ouch indeed.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 23, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
Not me :)
If you don't mind me asking, when was the last time you opened a card and got the bonus?
I get a new MR (and SPG) account each time. Been that way for me forever.
On my most recent, I did not have a MR account for about nine months prior, and a new account was generated. It still did not help.
[Multiply that by two - myself and spouse.]

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 23, 2013, 08:59:37 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, when was the last time you opened a card and got the bonus?On my most recent, I did not have a MR account for about nine months prior, and a new account was generated. It still did not help.
[Multiply that by two - myself and spouse.]
You still trying to comprehend Dan's supernal ways? Give it up!
כי לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם ולא דרכיכם דרכי...

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
was waiting for 50k points to show up on my gold amex business card- and its been a few months. I called several times and they told me i would get those points (i had a platinum card closed 2 months b4 that one) ps- i wrote them a sm and said im still waiting for those points when will i see them? and the rep told me i wont be getting them cus it was closed less than 3 months b4. I didnt bother fighting them cus ive tried it in the past and didnt get anywhere. I just wrote the rep a message back saying how frustrated i am how each rep tells me a diff thing, and im upset about this matter. PS- she wrote back:
Dear Mnm1130

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment and regret for the previous reply.

Please do not worry, as I value your membership with us, I have immediately issued 50,000 points to your account.

Please check your point balance after 24 hours at

I hope that I have addressed your concern to your satisfaction and also provided excellent customer service to you that you truly deserve.

Your membership since 2007 is truly valued and we look forward to serving you.

Have an excellent day!

Sincerely,     

Nikita Negi     
Email Servicing Team     
American Express Customer Care

YAY!
Thanks you inspired me I gave up 8 weeks ago after numerous back and forthwas about to close the card and throw in the towel sent this message as a reply to my final rejection 8 weeks ago.

All I could say as a loyal Amex costumer for years Im extremelly saddened by the poor service and very mean way of dealing with this issue. I feel robbed of 50k points of an offer mailed to me . I used to be a vocal supporter to my friends and family and I am very hurt .

Didn't get a response

emailed again

I never got a response to my last email sent a few days ago .
I have been ignored numerous times . Promised that my request will be passed on to another dept 3 months ago , still never received a written reply from that other dept. Promised someone will call me , that never happened.
I would still like the 50k Membership Reward owed to me added to my account
I would also like the fax number and mailing address to your executive offices

Response (S. Jain)     04/23/2013 04:14 PM
Dear yaakov s,

I am a Manager with the Email Servicing Team.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to our valued cardmember.

I tried calling you, however, the call reached your voice mail. I request you to reply to this email with the appropriate time to to call.

I see that you have already contacted us many times regarding the bonus offer.

I am sorry for the miscommunication. As a one time exception, I have issued 50,000 reward points to your account.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,           

Sarita Jain         
Manager, Email Servicing Team         
American Express Interactive Services

Don't know if it was a factor but I was really solicited for this offer via mail and it was 11.5 months since I closed my last card , thats what I was arguing all along

Offline Shreknit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 23, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
Thanks you inspired me I gave up 8 weeks ago after numerous back and forthwas about to close the card and throw in the towel sent this message as a reply to my final rejection 8 weeks ago.

All I could say as a loyal Amex costumer for years Im extremelly saddened by the poor service and very mean way of dealing with this issue. I feel robbed of 50k points of an offer mailed to me . I used to be a vocal supporter to my friends and family and I am very hurt .

Didn't get a response

emailed again

I never got a response to my last email sent a few days ago .
I have been ignored numerous times . Promised that my request will be passed on to another dept 3 months ago , still never received a written reply from that other dept. Promised someone will call me , that never happened.
I would still like the 50k Membership Reward owed to me added to my account
I would also like the fax number and mailing address to your executive offices

Response (S. Jain)     04/23/2013 04:14 PM
Dear yaakov s,

I am a Manager with the Email Servicing Team.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to our valued cardmember.

I tried calling you, however, the call reached your voice mail. I request you to reply to this email with the appropriate time to to call.

I see that you have already contacted us many times regarding the bonus offer.

I am sorry for the miscommunication. As a one time exception, I have issued 50,000 reward points to your account.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,           

Sarita Jain         
Manager, Email Servicing Team         
American Express Interactive Services

Don't know if it was a factor but I was really solicited for this offer via mail and it was 11.5 months since I closed my last card , thats what I was arguing all along

Great job I'm happy you were persistent!