Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 178535 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »
And can you explain me why you're the only one her with red stars?
Are you telling me nobody else been able to do have that??

I'm sure that's what gets him signup bonuses at Amex ::)

P.s. for the record, Eli and BAHayman's stars are also red.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2012, 12:47:49 AM »
Pretty harsh that the business T&C limits it to 12 months for all products instead of 90 days like consumer

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:37 AM »
From the Business Gold App:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green, or Platinum® Card account within the last 12 months."

Does that mean:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, [Business] Green, or [Business] Platinum® Card account within the last 12 months."

Or:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, [any] Green, or [any] Platinum® Card account within the last 12 months."

Scenario:

Person A has had both Plat and Plat MB 3 months ago. One cancelled, one downgraded to Zync.

Person A signs up for BGR now.

Does person A get the bonus according to these T&Cs?

It seems to me that person A should get it...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
Consumer and Business should be separate and person A should get it.

Offline HSS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how I churned both SPG cards and the PRG with the new rules and got the points last month?
Are you telling me nobody else been able to do that??

Hey Dan,

I also did a 4B AMEX myself (SPG Personal, SPG Biz, MB Plat, and Biz Plat) a month or so ago and I got the MB Plat 50k and Biz Plat 50k but I had 2 open SPG card (1 Biz, 1 Personal) and decided to follow your lead and get a second of each but now my statement closed and I didnt get the 10k bonu, and I have screenshots from the apps and they do say not for existing cardholders.  Any suggestions or advice.  I havent SM'ed AMEX yet but I am assuming those points arent coming automatically now...

HSS

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
I'm about to prove that theory myself as I await a Biz Plat bonus after having many recent personal Plat bonuses (but no Biz Plat/Gold/Green cards in last 12 months).  Honestly I don't know what to expect as I'm not sure AMEX even has these rules ironed out completely.

Offline HSS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2012, 06:31:57 PM »
I'm about to prove that theory myself as I await a Biz Plat bonus after having many recent personal Plat bonuses (but no Biz Plat/Gold/Green cards in last 12 months).  Honestly I don't know what to expect as I'm not sure AMEX even has these rules ironed out completely.

which theory u referring to?

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
which theory u referring to?

Biz and personal versions of the same product don't impact either's bonus eligibility (the couple posts above)

Offline jalm1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
I guess I'm in wait-and-see mode. Recently applied for the MS Plat card w/ 50k MR after $1k. I have the gold card, which i've had for years. When I applied there was no note about a limit to the welcome bonus based on current card holders. Maybe they consider it a different product. The bonus terms are below:

" To earn 50,000 bonus points, you must charge $1,000 of eligible purchases in your first three months of Card membership on a Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley. 50,000 points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® program account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account. Bonus ID: 7900. Membership Rewards program terms apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXPEARN (297-3276) for more information."

I guess I'll find out in a few months.

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
I guess I'm in wait-and-see mode. Recently applied for the MS Plat card w/ 50k MR after $1k. I have the gold card, which i've had for years. When I applied there was no note about a limit to the welcome bonus based on current card holders. Maybe they consider it a different product. The bonus terms are below:

" To earn 50,000 bonus points, you must charge $1,000 of eligible purchases in your first three months of Card membership on a Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley. 50,000 points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® program account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account. Bonus ID: 7900. Membership Rewards program terms apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXPEARN (297-3276) for more information."

I guess I'll find out in a few months.

Please let us  know!  And while your at it let Amex know , because I believe they are making
it up as they go along .

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
Relative recently got approved for a 4bm for MB, reg plat, biz plat and PRG, first timer on all those 4 cards.
MB statement closes 5 days before the other 3.
I guess based on the above posts, spending on MB should only be done on the 2nd month and for the remaining 3 try to slip more than one bonus through the cracks?
Maybe PRG should join MB to avoid 25K posting and killing a 50K bonus?
Any other suggestions?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline ac7mpo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
HELP : Starwood Card not awarding bonus points
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
HI,

I just contacted AMEX re: my two new SPG Cards (Business and Personal) that i applied/approved with a 30K bonus offe.  However, as the point had not posted i called starwood and they said as i received a similar offer some years back i was not entitled to this bonus.

I have never had this issue before, is there something i can do?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:06:10 AM by ac7mpo »

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
Re: HELP : Starwood Card not awarding bonus points
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
HI,

I just contacted Starwood re: my two new SPG Cards (Business and Personal) that i applied/approved with a 30K bonus offe.  However, as the point had not posted i called starwood and they said as i received a similar offer some years back i was not entitled to this bonus.

I have never had this issue before, is there something i can do?

When did you last have the starwood cards? when did you last get a signup bonus from them?

Offline ac7mpo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
Last in 2010.  They are saying AMEX new policy.  No Bonus if you had the card within last 12 months.  I am trying to get them to give 20K ad that is not the welcome bonus, however, as they sent me the email, i feel it was targeted and they should give all 30K. 

Manager agreed to give 20K on business card, should i try and replicate on personal?  Should i push for all 30K?  is writting better then phone?

Thanks for the assistance.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:02:02 AM by ac7mpo »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »
You should qualify then, but I'm not sure why you called Starwood, you need to deal with AMEX and mention the 12 month language on the app.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ac7mpo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »
Dan,

I had the bonus in 2010 but i kept the card till August 2012 and then was sent this offer at the end of the month, i took it to be an incentive to come back, i admittedly did not read the terms of the offer.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
You should qualify then, but I'm not sure why you called Starwood, you need to deal with AMEX and mention the 12 month language on the app.

If the OP had the card in the last 12 months (his statement on this is ambiguous) then he's SOL IMHO.

ETA: As I was posting he clarified, so IMHO he's SOL.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
So now you have 4 SPG cards?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ac7mpo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
HI,

Yes i had the card from Jan 2010 - August 2012.  I received 25K Bonus in March 2010.  I cancelled the cards, as i am trying to streamline, in August 2012.  Later in the month, i received an email,after seeing the offer on DD, for the 30K bonus and decided to up and renew. 

I guess my question now is.
Having been given 20K on the business card as a courtesy should i contact AMEX on the personal card and attempt the same?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
I guess my question now is.
Having been given 20K on the business card as a courtesy should i contact AMEX on the personal card and attempt the same?

Nothing to lose, cite the email to back you up. Explain that you cancelled your SPG quite some time before the email, and that's what enticed you to come back. This will have better odds of working if the email came from Amex (vs. SPG).