Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 178716 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #340 on: January 02, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
This for the commenters stating that Amex can do no wrong. i posted this a few days ago http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23722.0. i will just paste my OP.

My wife and I recently applied separately for the amex business gold offer with 75k bonus with 10k spend. I got my bonus but they refuse to pay my wife her bonus. I used the same link and applied for both our accounts at the same time. I called them a few times and sent them messages via their site. They finally sent me a letter stating that the offer she signed up for was the "5x shipping and ad spend” or something like that , and they will not give her the 75k bonus.

Write to your state's attorney general and to the CFPB.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 02, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
I received one of those pre approved offers in the mail for an amex gold card with 50k point bonus after spending 5k. I spent 5k and called amex to see when it will post. They said since I got the same gold card a few months earlier, they can not give me the bonus again. I responded that such a claim is ridiculous. I did not go online and apply for a second card. If that was the case they would be fully justified. Rather, I received an offer from them with the bonus clearly spelled out. Since I am a card holder they know (or should know) which cards I have and they have no right to turn around and renege on their own offer which I accepted! (ever studied business law? :))

The rep said she digs my argument, but her hands are tied so I spoke to someone higher up who also said they heard me out but couldn't do anything. Instead they opened a complaint and said they will be in touch in the future with the results.

Did anyone ever experience anything similar? What did you do? What was the final result? Any suggestions? (No, I am not hiring a lawyer.)
Some of the Pre-approved offers I receive explicitly state (though in small writing) words to the effect that I am not eligible for the bonus if I have had the card in the past 12 months.

Offline jake

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 02, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
Thanks Dan for responding. I was thinking about complaing to the BBB. I was just worried that they should'nt hold it against me somehow. Did you ever hear of someone having issues at a later time because of a complaint. i.e. being denied a new card?

thanks

Offline nutcase

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:05 PM »
Write to your state's attorney general and to the CFPB.
have you had success with cfpb? did you ever use the bbb? if yes any success?

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:59 AM »
Thanks Dan for responding. I was thinking about complaing to the BBB. I was just worried that they should'nt hold it against me somehow. Did you ever hear of someone having issues at a later time because of a complaint. i.e. being denied a new card?

thanks
This is America man, not North Korea.

You remind me of my Russian grandmother who will not deposit a check from her Chase account into her HSBC account for fear they might be upset that she is banking somewhere else as well.

Offline ashers

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 03, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »
Didnt see this discussed anywhere
  • Is the 12 months from when I opened the card or when I closed it?
  • Any way I can find out if I will get the bonus or not (Dont want to do the full spending if Im not getting bonus anyway)
it CAN be done!

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #346 on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »
-closing
-YMMV, no way to know for sure.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »
You can ask them.

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
You can ask them.
Then you'll know forsure  :P

Offline jake

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
This is America man, not North Korea.

You remind me of my Russian grandmother who will not deposit a check from her Chase account into her HSBC account for fear they might be upset that she is banking somewhere else as well.

That is a cute story  :) . But there has been plenty of times where even major corporations will blacklist you. I agree though, that the likelyhood of amex doing it in this stuation is small which is the reason for my question if anyone has heard of amex doing that.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »
that was the old amex.
In the past 2 months I've made $150 from SBS, won 2 chargebacks within 48 hours, won a return protection claim in 12 hours without having to send anything in, had them overnight me an AU card - they're not rated #1 in customer service for nothing.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
In the past 2 months I've made $150 from SBS, won 2 chargebacks within 48 hours, won a return protection claim in 12 hours without having to send anything in, had them overnight me an AU card - they're not rated #1 in customer service for nothing.

Exactly.  Sure maybe the customer service isn't so great for bonus chasers anymore, but what does anyone expect - after years of being too accommodating in this area and then being heavily exploited for it, AMEX reacted.  There are some customers out there who have been so unprofitable to AMEX that they should be glad they aren't banned for eternity.  I hope they think about that next time they complain about a bonus  8)

Offline leeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »
I don't know what blogger you're reading, but that's not very good info and he probably just doesn't know how to churn SPG.
So how do you churn SPG like a pro?

Offline isramen

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline nutcase

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 04, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
That is a cute story  :) . But there has been plenty of times where even major corporations will blacklist you. I agree though, that the likelyhood of amex doing it in this stuation is small which is the reason for my question if anyone has heard of amex doing that.
+1 I have been lucky to join some of the finest black lists!lol
btw amex and chase do have blacklists so he has a very solid poit. although the story with your grandmother is funny!

Offline nutcase

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 04, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »
Exactly.  Sure maybe the customer service isn't so great for bonus chasers anymore, but what does anyone expect - after years of being too accommodating in this area and then being heavily exploited for it, AMEX reacted.  There are some customers out there who have been so unprofitable to AMEX that they should be glad they aren't banned for eternity.  I hope they think about that next time they complain about a bonus  8)
you need to read through all the posts. MY WIFE NEVER RECEIVED any SIGNUP BONUSES FROM AMEX EVER. all she had was one green card with no bonus and no waived first year annual fee.
yet they are attempting(I am fighting it)to not give her a small amount of 25k mr points...

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 04, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
+1 I have been lucky to join some of the finest black lists!lol
btw amex and chase do have blacklists so he has a very solid poit. although the story with your grandmother is funny!
Do you know any first hand stories of someone that got blacklisted by amex?

Offline nutcase

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 04, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »
Do you know any first hand stories of someone that got blacklisted by amex?
yes a very big user (he was adding on au to backdate) he was helping ppl. clean there credit and they got really angry. blacklisted him
not sure if this is considered first hand though.

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
you need to read through all the posts. MY WIFE NEVER RECEIVED any SIGNUP BONUSES FROM AMEX EVER. all she had was one green card with no bonus and no waived first year annual fee.
yet they are attempting(I am fighting it)to not give her a small amount of 25k mr points...

I thought the application terms stated that just having the green card PRODUCT (not a BONUS) makes you ineligible.  Therefore your wife is ineligible.  You can be mad at the rule but why would you expect AMEX to make an exception for you?

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 04, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
I thought the application terms stated that just having the green card PRODUCT (not a BONUS) makes you ineligible.  Therefore your wife is ineligible.  You can be mad at the rule but why would you expect AMEX to make an exception for you?
Maybe the caps lock will get him somewhere.