Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 175933 times)

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #580 on: April 03, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »
I can get more money for the points if its 100,000 intead of just 50,000 times 2 . Am I wrong?
Shouldn't make a difference.

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 04, 2013, 02:34:06 AM »
Bump. Anybody?
Did you have any in the past 12 months?  If not I would write to the correspondence unit

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 04, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
Just ask them to transfer the points from one account to another. Combining MR accounts are a hassle
Thanx. Very helpful. Got it done via Secure Message.

Now my Memebership rewards balance is 100,789 . Can I buy 211 points via secure message? How much would it cost?

Thank you

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 04, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
Did you have any in the past 12 months?  If not I would write to the correspondence unit
Whats the address and fax number again
Thanks

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
Thanx. Very helpful. Got it done via Secure Message.

Now my Memebership rewards balance is 100,789 . Can I buy 211 points via secure message? How much would it cost?

Thank you
As per a membership rewards rep, they only sell points in increments of 1,000. But they can do a point advance even for just 211.  But they'll need to do it at time of transfer

(I did it yesterday with different amounts, not 211 per se)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #585 on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
Good to know.

What do you mean by "But they'll need to do it at time of transfer "
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 04, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Good to know.

What do you mean by "But they'll need to do it at time of transfer "
IIRC they will add it when they transfer the MR to the linked FF account , not that they add it for whenever you need it

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #587 on: April 04, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
IIRC they will add it when they transfer the MR to the linked FF account , not that they add it for whenever you need it
Never knew that.

I guess I haven't been around the block long enough ;)

Offline asks

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 05, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
Still not having much luck getting bonus MR for new  PRG card recently opened within 12 month timeframe...got this response today, interesting are the reasons that they basically spell out AMEX losing tons on churning!
(this is latest of 5 SM's sent over the past month or so)

Dear ASKS,

Thanks for writing back.

I am afraid we cannot do much about this issue as per the restriction of your offer on the new Premier Rewards Gold Card.

This restriction has been put into place and mentioned in bold on both the paper as well as online applications. This restriction is created and put into effect to stop people from misusing the new acquisition bonus promotions. People had been opening new accounts, using their Cards, receiving the bonus promotion on that Card, cancelling it and applying again for the same or similar Cards with a new bonus promotion.

Please understand we offer attractive bonus promotion to attract people and their business to American Express. Such mass level misuse of our new acquisition bonus promotions had lead to heavy losses in Membership Reward points all over the country.

We appreciate your understanding that we are bound by certain policies and procedures and sometimes we may not be able to completely satisfy your needs due to this reason.

If there is any other way we may be of assistance, please contact us. We value your business and look forward to the opportunity to be of service.
[/b]

Online dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
is there anyone here who RECENTLY got the bonus although they had the same card within 12 months, after first being notified that they won't get it?

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 06, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
Still not having much luck getting bonus MR for new  PRG card recently opened within 12 month timeframe...got this response today, interesting are the reasons that they basically spell out AMEX losing tons on churning!

Dear ASKS,

Thanks for writing back.

I am afraid we cannot do much about this issue as per the restriction of your offer on the new Premier Rewards Gold Card.

This restriction has been put into place and mentioned in bold on both the paper as well as online applications. This restriction is created and put into effect to stop people from misusing the new acquisition bonus promotions. People had been opening new accounts, using their Cards, receiving the bonus promotion on that Card, cancelling it and applying again for the same or similar Cards with a new bonus promotion.

Please understand we offer attractive bonus promotion to attract people and their business to American Express. Such mass level misuse of our new acquisition bonus promotions had lead to heavy losses in Membership Reward points all over the country.

We appreciate your understanding that we are bound by certain policies and procedures and sometimes we may not be able to completely satisfy your needs due to this reason.

If there is any other way we may be of assistance, please contact us. We value your business and look forward to the opportunity to be of service.
[/b]
Extremely interesting. I like how they write "Such mass level misuse of our new acquisition bonus promotions had lead to heavy losses in Membership Reward points all over the country." which really doesn't make sense, but they won't write - "heavy losses in American Express money".

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 07, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »

Dear ASKS,

Thanks for writing back.

[/b]
Seems like AMEX really is starting to understand churning  :o  :'(

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #593 on: April 07, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
Seems like AMEX really is starting to understand churning  :o  :'(

You bet they do. The loopholes are mostly closed. Citi was on to that a while ago already.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 07, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
if i close my spg amex b4 3 months r up can they ask back for the bonus?

Offline ari2955

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 07, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »
They technically can but they never do

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
They technically can but they never do
i don't remember where but i think i remember seeing somewhere on ddf that something like that has happened...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 07, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
It has. But not to someone on DDF AFAIK.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »
It has. But not to someone on DDF AFAIK.
whats afaik?

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 07, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »