Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 177353 times)

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #840 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
MB requires only not having MB PLat in last year.
in the t&c's it states "This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express."   as well.

anyway, regardless of what it seems from the "this product" line, if amex decides they don't wanna give it to you because you're a churner (yes, this is happening), you can break your head against a wall, and it's almost impossible to get them to give it.    and as soon as it's sent off to the "concerned" department, then you can really forget about it.        hence my calling it "questionable".

the smart play would be to write a secure message before applying confirming with someone that "this" product only excludes the mb plat.  then already theres a chance of dealing with them.         

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #841 on: May 08, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
in the t&c's it states "This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express."   as well.

anyway, regardless of what it seems from the "this product" line, if amex decides they don't wanna give it to you because you're a churner (yes, this is happening), you can break your head against a wall, and it's almost impossible to get them to give it.    and as soon as it's sent off to the "concerned" department, then you can really forget about it.        hence my calling it "questionable".

the smart play would be to write a secure message before applying confirming with someone that "this" product only excludes the mb plat.  then already theres a chance of dealing with them.       

I did a chat with Amex, was told the MB is a family for itself.
I just got my bonus on a MB while I had the reg Plat

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #842 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:37 PM »

Save the chat!

And send me a copy via PM :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
six months ago I called and a rep told me the same, I got the bonus on MB a few weeks after reg plat was closed.

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #844 on: May 08, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »
Save the chat!

And send me a copy via PM :)

dont have it saved, was a while back. Just go to amex.com at the application page and use the "chat with us" option

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #845 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
I shall, thanks.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 09, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
Why did you apply?? It just pushes off the amount of time until you can get the gold bonus?
How do you like this for a start?
When I get the points il really start rubbing it in!
Libby: Good Morning! This is Libby. How can I help you?
you: Hi, I dont see any sign up bonus points pending. Please help. Thanks
Libby: Don’t worry; I will be happy to see what I can do to resolve this for you right away.
Libby: Let me pull up the account and check what's happening.
Libby: Is this CBC?
you: Yes CBC
Libby: Thank you.
Libby: In order to continue, I need you to answer an identification question. Your chat window will expand to the right with the question, please answer it in the space provided.
you: Sure
Libby: Thank you.
Libby: That worked (smile)
you: :)
Libby: I do see that you are enrolled for the offer where you would get 50,000 points after spending $1,000 on the card...
you: Correct
Libby: So, 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be issued 6-8 weeks after $1,000 or more in eligible charges appear on the Card statement.
Libby: Be rest assured you have met the criteria.
you: Great, Thanks!
Libby: I was glad to be of service.
you: Is there anyway to get them sooner?
Libby: You can certainly speak with our membership rewards team to see if you can get these points sooner...
Libby: You can call them at 800-297-3276 and they are working Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - midnight ET, Saturday - Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. ET just for you.
you: ok, Thanks again!
Libby: Pleasure was all mine.
Libby: Have a beautiful day!(smile)
Libby: It was my pleasure to assist you today. Thank you for choosing American Express, please click on End Chat to complete our Exit Surve

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 09, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
Is there a way for me to find out when I closed my Amex Bus Plat so I can see if my 12 months are up?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
Is there a way for me to find out when I closed my Amex Bus Plat so I can see if my 12 months are up?
call

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Search for emails from AmericanExpress@welcome.aexp.com and containing the words "Your Card Cancellation has been processed"

I made a gmail label based on that so I can track my 12 months.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline presidentialplus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 09, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »
Why? According to T&C hes in the clear.I was in the same boat for both and got them. Assuming you didn't have the MB in last year (I believe terms state "this card" to the exclusion of even other platinum cards), or another MR personal card in last 90 days you should be good.For BGR, as long as you didn't have any other biz MR in last year you should be good as well.

why? the terms only state "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months"
thats all

Offline ari2955

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 09, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »
signed my bro up for the creditcards.com plat 100k offer in back in january, but they didnt want 2 give him the points cause he has a zync, after a mil phone calls the past 2 months decided 2 try sm'ing, was successful on the 3rd try.
Here's the exchange,
Hi, I applied for this card about 4 months ago when there was an opening promotion for 100,000 membership rewards points.
I applied with that promo and met all requirements but never received the points.
At the time of the application I was promised by the representative that I would receive the bonus, and then again 2 months later when I called in I was told that I met all conditions but would have 2 wait another few weeks for it to post. (I believe you can verify all this as you record all phone calls) 
Now they're telling me that because I have the zync card I would not received it (nobody ever told me anything like this before)
This is totally unfair as I was promised I would receive it, and as a long time loyal Amex cardholder I would expect better then this.
Can you please solve this issue for me,
Thanks,
Dear Mr. *****
I will certainly assist you with your concern

You will be glad to know that I have immediately issued 100,000 points on your Platinum Card (ending in *****)

I trust that I have met your expectations with this email.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,                                                                                               

Sanskriti
Email Servicing Team                                                           
American Express Customer Care

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #852 on: May 09, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
signed my bro up for the creditcards.com plat 100k offer in back in january, but they didnt want 2 give him the points cause he has a zync, after a mil phone calls the past 2 months decided 2 try sm'ing, was successful on the 3rd try.
Here's the exchange,

Yay! Another successful report.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 09, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
Did the BRG to biz Plat upgrade, and shortly afterwards downgraded to a Green card then shut the card down. Do i have to wait 12 for the biz plat again?

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 09, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »
Anyone have any luck SMing for approval on an Amex card?

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
How do you like this for a start?
When I get the points il really start rubbing it in!
I wish you hatzlacha. I hope you get the points.
That chat helps your chances by about 0.001 percent.

Offline lcyitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 10, 2013, 12:32:33 AM »
Did anyone hear back from the "concerned" team? That's where all  my Sm's end up :(

Offline mendy704

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 12, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
i signed up for the amex plat in Jan. and got the 100k bonus. a month later i signed up for the prg card 50k bonus unaware of the new t&c. i SM'ed today asking why i haven't received my points and this was the response i got:

Response (Harminder Singh)     05/12/2013 08:24 AM
Dear ***********,

Thank you for writing in.

I understand your concern with regards to the promotional offer linked to your Premier Rewards Gold Card (ending in *****).

Due to some technical difficulties we are unable to see the information in our records.

In order to assist you in the matter, I request you to call at the number mentioned on the back of your Card [or (800) 528-4800 (24 hours / 7 days a week)] and one of our representatives will assist you over the call.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,                                                                                               

Harminder Singh
Email Servicing Team                                                           

What do i do now? thanx

Offline Shreknit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 12, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
i signed up for the amex plat in Jan. and got the 100k bonus. a month later i signed up for the prg card 50k bonus unaware of the new t&c. i SM'ed today asking why i haven't received my points and this was the response i got:

Response (Harminder Singh)     05/12/2013 08:24 AM
Dear ***********,

Thank you for writing in.

I understand your concern with regards to the promotional offer linked to your Premier Rewards Gold Card (ending in *****).

Due to some technical difficulties we are unable to see the information in our records.

In order to assist you in the matter, I request you to call at the number mentioned on the back of your Card [or (800) 528-4800 (24 hours / 7 days a week)] and one of our representatives will assist you over the call.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,                                                                                               

Harminder Singh
Email Servicing Team                                                         

What do i do now? thanx
Call them.

Offline mendy704

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 12, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
I thought there's no chance of getting the points over the phone?