Author Topic: El Al laying down the law  (Read 15540 times)

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Re: El Al laying down the law
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
Elal is no more Jewish than Alitalia. Both have a certain percentage of Jewish shareholders (well, AZ per se is privately held so I'm not sure).

Either way, I've taken advantage of airlines a lot more than you'd think, but still, if anything in the entire story is 'despicable', I'd pick the guy forcing someone to give him something at loss.
Have you heard of the market?
If you've taken advantage dont attack others its not all that pleasant.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
Either way, they don't make money, so they're not charging all that crazy much.
I didn''t audit them, but I'd imagine that if a company like that is not making money it doesn't mean much all it means is that the big shots are making  nice salaries  and they're reporting losses.
Start flying there? It's totally irrelevant, but I've lived in Israel for 9 years.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »

Start flying there? It's totally irrelevant, but I've lived in Israel for 9 years.
i think he meant to say that elal doesnt control it and anyone can fly including you if u opened an airline

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
i think he meant to say that elal doesnt control it and anyone can fly including you if u opened an airline
That not true they've been controlling it for a while now only this year did they sign an open sky agreement and it's not fully implemented  http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-07/31/c_131751211.htm
"and is expected to cover 80 percent of the costs when open skies is fully implemented in the summer of 2017"

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
That not true they've been controlling it for a while now only this year did they sign an open sky agreement and it's not fully implemented  http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-07/31/c_131751211.htm
"and is expected to cover 80 percent of the costs when open skies is fully implemented in the summer of 2017"
im not stating an opinion, i was merely saying you misunderstood him

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
im not stating an opinion, i was merely saying you misunderstood him
got it. I was just continuing the conversation.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »
got it. I was just continuing the conversation.
in that case, how can elal control which airlines can fly to tlv?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
If you've taken advantage dont attack others its not all that pleasant.
My apologies I didn't mean to attack anybody.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
in that case, how can elal control which airlines can fly to tlv?
I don't think it's Elal it's the Israeli government protecting Elal's interests, but they realized that it may be beneficial to add more flights/airlines, but they're still somewhat limited. 

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »
Incorrect. SBY list is sorted by status and fare class, as you suggested.
sby?  who's talking about sby?  maybe you missed the op... we're talking about rescheduling onto other flights that have open seats due to the hurricane.  standby procedures are irrelevant.   
The law, to the best of my knowledge, allows them to refuse to rebook altogether and simply refund the 'payments'.

Everything they do beyond that is more than they're required to do.
incorrect.   it's actually against Israeli law. see section 6, a, 2
 http://www.elal.co.il/NR/rdonlyres/9C7640D3-063B-4A52-9F49-A2A3AFC6951B/0/AviationServicesLawENG.pdf

so it is absolutely what they're required to do.   and it says nothing in there about rescheduling cancelled tickets based on status.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:08:57 AM by yare »

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »
Let's consider the following scenario. You have six flights canceled and 1500 passengers need to be rescheduled and you only have 700 empty seats the rest of the week. Doesn't it make sense to rebook your full paying passengers this week and the people who got in on a mistake fare next week? (I'm not saying theyshouldn't be cordial and if there are empty seats they should mess you over but just a question of priority)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
sby?  who's talking about sby?  maybe you missed the op... we're talking about rescheduling onto other flights that have open seats due to the hurricane.  standby procedures are irrelevant.   
I was refuting
this isn't an upgrade priority list, it's rescheduling the actual flight you paid for.  every customer has the same rights to be rescheduled.   

Which isn't the way the airline industry works. When there limited space on a flight, there is a priority list of who gets the seats, as evidenced by SBY lists. If LY would book 3000 pax on the SBY list of every flight this week, then clear in apporpiate order, you'd be happy? Instead they just took those at the end of the list & moved them to later flights. Ensuring their best customers are taken care of first.

What you quote Israeli law does seem to be true however there is no time provision & they can rebook whenever they want.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Aeajda1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
Since I posted this and have read all the responses, I'd weigh in simply as follows:

If you come out with a press release, as the VP of Customer Service did, stating he's happy to accomodate EVERYONE and is glad people can reconnect with loved ones, etc., then follow it. To separate "classes" in this unique instance is ridiculous. It's not as though this was "discounted fare".. it was a mistake on a full priced fare. As such, it has the same class associated with it as a full priced fare. The customer service rep had no clue but asked if it was a "glitch ticket" (which is a disgusting question to ask a customer and way to presumptive) or a regular ticket.

Oh yea, and what I failed to add was that my folks were headed in for a simcha. When this was conveyed, the same person said "yea sure, everyone says that." El Al sucks, plain and simple. Jewish company or not, you simply DO NOT take advantage of customers that way, regardless of what they did or didn't pay.

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
I was refuting
yes, but the wrong thing ;)
If LY would book 3000 pax on the SBY list of every flight this week, then clear in apporpiate order, you'd be happy? Instead they just took those at the end of the list & moved them to later flights. Ensuring their best customers are taken care of first.
if they're actually separating by fare buckets, that's one thing.   if they're separating based on "glitch," that's something else.   the rep didn't ask what fare bucket they were booked into, they're not rebooking based on fare buckets, he asked if it was the glitch fare.    after it's honored they're in a fare bucket just like everyone else, doesn't matter what they actually paid.    it's also no way indicative of their "best customers."   it's very possible many of their "best customers" are flying on these tickets as well.

on a somewhat side note, it's really ridiculous how this is still being touted as a massive mistake fare/glitch.   not a month after the "glitch," delta on a regular sale had better prices going from mia-tlv than ly did with all the hype. what a joke.   

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

on a somewhat side note, it's really ridiculous how this is still being touted as a massive mistake fare/glitch.   not a month after the "glitch," delta on a regular sale had better prices going from mia-tlv than ly did with all the hype. what a joke.   
Werent the tickets $350 each?

Delta didn't sell tickets for 350.

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
Werent the tickets $350 each?

Delta didn't sell tickets for 350.
they were 350 only in the way beginning, they then slowly rose to 450 and 550 before being pulled.   

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
they were 350 only in the way beginning, they then slowly rose to 450 and 550 before being pulled.   
If you saw prices rising that was because of seat inventory for the dates you were searching.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aeajda1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
Ahhhh, I've been doing a bit of research on El Al's operating procedure and on it's website, I found their Conditions of Carriage. Notice that 9.2.2 (a) states that one of your options is to extend the validity of your ticket. As US law states that price mistake tickets must be treated like any other ticket, then had you paid regular fare, the airline would've most likely agreed to extend your stay. Essentially, the airline is in violation of both their own Conditions of Carriage and US law. Also, they have the Israeli laws listed on their webpage and from my understanding of it (it is translated already into English) they may have even violated Israeli law. All of this because they did not properly offer my parents the compensation they are supposed to by their own admission.:

9.2 Cancellation, rerouting, delays and denied boarding compensation
9.2.1 We will take all necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you and your Baggage. In the exercise of these measures and in order to prevent a flight cancellation, in unusual circumstances we may arrange for a flight to be operated on our behalf by an alternative carrier and/or aircraft.
9.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or Stopover destination, or cause you to miss a connecting flight with us on which you hold a confirmed reservation we shall, in agreement with the Passenger, either:
(a) carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charge and, where necessary, extend the validity of your Ticket; or
(b) within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional charge. If the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower than what you have paid, we shall refund the difference; or
(c) make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 10.2.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
Slightly OT I bough a few glitch tickets and canceled them while they were promising a full refund. I waited a month, as they told me, and I didn't receive a refund. Elal an Expedia were sending me back and forth btw them as if I were a yo yo now I'm in the midst of a dispute with Amex.

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
If anything here is despicable it's taking advantage of a companys error.

I certainly hope they'd prioritze their customers when trying to rebook.

Just be grateful they offered to rebook at all, AFAIK they don't have to (just refund).

+ 1
Vote U-no-me '14!