Author Topic: Backup Generator  (Read 14049 times)

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Backup Generator
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 04:51:39 AM »
Duh, I was discussing it getting ruined during the storm ::)
Millions lost power. How many do you think would have had their generator destroyed if they had one?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline joesmoe

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Generator
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 05:25:30 AM »
If you have a little portable generator and keep it in the garage or something, after the worst of the storm is over you could set it up.

Also, I dont' see why if you leave the garage door open you can't run the generator in the garage. That should protect it enough. Just make sure the door to the house is closed (run the wire through a window or something (so outside garage then into a window not attached to the garage so that the fumes can't really get in the house.

Also, my built in generator was raised about a foot from the ground, not that this would necessarily protect it during a large flood but michigan's not famous for its floods, so I think if you were really worried about flooding, or in a flood prone area, you would put the generator on the roof, or at least reaise it a few feet off the ground instead of just a couple.

Also the housing for permenantly installed generators is usually really weather resistant - you don't really have to wrry about a strong storm hurting your generator (unless there is flooding).

Also I should mention that I doubt most people actually -need- a generator. But it is always cool when you have electricity and nobody else does. Especially since usually when the power is widespread out, your spending alot of time at home with nothing to do!

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
Well said.

I just read that people were harmer from carbine monoxide from generators that were too closed to their house.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
My parents have a neighbor in the 5 towns who has been trying to convince people to get whole house generators for a few months now, got started after the last few times they lost power. Apparently he was coordinating the purchase and installation of upwards of 10 whole house generators for people in the neighborhood (this is not what he does for a living, but he's a huge hocker and was probably getting at least free installation out of it). He took delivery of something like 15 generators a few weeks ago, and there are still more than 10 sitting in his garage that had yet to be installed, including his own. Nobody in the immediate vicinity was flooded (in which case the generators would probably have been damaged/inoperable even had they been installed) , but they still don't have power. I'm surprised some of these people didn't try to find other electricians to come install them, they already had the generators. Now they're stuck with nothing.

3 other people in the vicinity have their generators running, and this guy actually somehow got his whole house connected to one of them. My parents have been running extension cords to the closest neighbors with power. Apparently these things are extremely noisy (at least the ones that can fully power a full size house), you can hear them from inside several houses away.

Bottom line is that in a situation like Sandy, the whole house generators came up extremely clutch. If your house wasn't flooded from the ocean, it survived despite being outside. And now there will probably have been no power for at least a week. The natural gas connection is flowing and very necessary, because it's been impossible to get gasoline. So if ever there was a situation to justify the expense of a whole house generator, it's the one we're seeing now.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
I'd consider investing in a whole house generator but have no idea what size to get.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
Re: Re: Backup Generator
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »

Also the housing for permenantly installed generators is usually really weather resistant - you don't really have to wrry about a strong storm hurting your generator (unless there is flooding).
Well, that's what happened in large areas of NYC, and that's why NYU hospital didn't even have backup power, despite their being "flood proof".

Quotes from an AP article yesterday:

"While both hospitals (nyu and bellvue) put their generators on high floors where they could be protected in a flood, other critical components of the backup power system, such as fuel pumps and tanks, remained in basements just a block from the East River.

Both hospitals had fortified that equipment against floods within the past few years, but the water —which rushed with tremendous force —found a way in.
 Alan Aviles, president of New York City’s Health and Hospitals Corp., which operates Bellevue, said that after a scare last summer when Hurricane Irene threatened to cause flooding, Bellevue put its basement-level fuel pumps in flood-resistant chambers. It still isn’t clear whether water breached those defenses, but when an estimated 17 million gallons of water rushed through loading docks and into the hospital’s 1-million-square-foot basement, the fuel feed to the generators stopped working. The floodwaters also knocked out the hospital’s elevators.

For two days, National Guardsmen carried fuel to the generators, but conditions inside the hospital for patients and staff deteriorated anyway. The generators were designed to supply only 30 percent of the usual electrical load at the hospital, leaving a lot of equipment and labs hobbled. The hospital also lost all water pressure on Tuesday. Nearly 700 patients had been evacuated by Thursday afternoon.

“The precautions we had taken to date had served us well,” Aviles said. “But Mother Nature can always up the stakes.”
NYU Langone Medical Center had also tried to armor itself against floods. All seven of the generators providing backup power to the parts of the hospital involved in patient care are only a few years old and are on higher floors. The fuel tank is in a watertight vault. New fuel pumps were installed just this year in a pump house upgraded to withstand a high flood, said the hospital’s vice president of facilities operation, Richard Cohen. “The medical center invested quite a bit of money to upgrade the facility,” he said. The pump house remained “bone dry,” Cohen said. But water shoved aside plastic and plywood defenses and infiltrated the fuel vault, where sensors detected the potentially damaging liquid and shut the generators down. “The force of the surge that came in was unbelievable. It dislodged our additional protection and caused a breach of the vault as well,” Cohen said.

The power at NYU went out in a flash, leaving the staff scrambling to evacuate 300 patients with no notice.

When the Northeast was hit with a crippling blackout in 2003, the backup power at several of New York City’s hospitals failed or performed poorly. Generators malfunctioned or overheated. Fuel ran out too quickly. Even where the backup systems worked, they provided electricity to only some parts of the hospital and left others in the dark."

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
If your house floods the least of your worries would be having a backup generator. You can pick cases here and there but how many out of the millions that lost power would benefit from a backup generator?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
If your house floods the least of your worries would be having a backup generator. You can pick cases here and there but how many out of the millions that lost power would benefit from a backup generator?
True, got it.
I was just looking at it from a NYC perspective, and in nyc if you're still out of power, chances are you were flooded too..

Offline LeeW

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
True, got it.
I was just looking at it from a NYC perspective, and in nyc if you're still out of power, chances are you were flooded too..

What are you talking about? The entire lower Manhattan is without power. They weren't flooded, the power is just out.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
What are you talking about? The entire lower Manhattan is without power. They weren't flooded, the power is just out.
They weren't flooded?!  What planet are you living on?
Yes, Many people were not flooded, but a great very many were... And if you live high up in an apt building (i.e. no flood) where would you put a generator anyways?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
In teaneck new Jersey almost everyone is without power and almost no one was flooded
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »
In teaneck new Jersey almost everyone is without power and almost no one was flooded
I understood that that was the case with suburban areas like teaneck, however that's why I specified NYC.

!שבת שלום ומבורך

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »
I'd consider investing in a whole house generator but have no idea what size to get.

You'd need an electrician to do install it anyway, so maybe hunt for that first, and then consult with the electrician on what size you need, where to buy, etc. They probably don't have a very varied price structure for this kind of job, at least not based on wattage.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
You'd need an electrician to do install it anyway, so maybe hunt for that first, and then consult with the electrician on what size you need, where to buy, etc. They probably don't have a very varied price structure for this kind of job, at least not based on wattage.
My bartering partner in crime ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

+1 for Lakewood.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

Tonight's homework assignments:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6452638_pick-whole-house-generator.html

And more to the point: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/stories/38-How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Whole-House-Generator.html

Key quote: "In other words, the MAXIMUM amount of electricity your home can consume is 200-amps... In most cases, however, you can save significant dollars by choosing a smaller model, which could still power the whole house anyway."[/b]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:04:57 PM by Moishebatchy »

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
if anyone lives near CT there is a generator avail in sears! 

anyone know anything about this?
Steele 6000w Portable Generator

check it out

sky121 i know he is in IL there is a generator there in sears outlet, if any one else lives near there go get it its a gr8 deal!! Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder 5500 Watt Generator

or here!!
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline nikone

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
So after living through SSS (SuperStorm Sandy) I am a huge believer in whole house generators, it would have saved us a lot money, time and aggravation if we had one! Just a few points to think about.

1.) If you live in a low lying area that is prone to flooding and your utility room is on the ground floor or below. Once the flooding begins you might get your electrical panel or transfer switch flooded. So moving your panel to higher ground might be a good idea.

2.) If you plan on installing your generator make sure to ELEVATE it above a flood line!

3.) Spend more on getting more amps now or you will regret not going bigger later, the upfront cost is worth the future headache especially in times of the summer where you want to run your A/C.

Always have a knowledgeable person install the generator, if installed in correctly over time a power surge from the grid can fry your generator that's why you must install a TRANSFER switch!

Palm5 says: Uhhhh what's blackberry?

philbenjoe says: A handheld celluar device. What's your question

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
So after living through SSS (SuperStorm Sandy) I am a huge believer in whole house generators, it would have saved us a lot money, time and aggravation if we had one! Just a few points to think about.

1.) If you live in a low lying area that is prone to flooding and your utility room is on the ground floor or below. Once the flooding begins you might get your electrical panel or transfer switch flooded. So moving your panel to higher ground might be a good idea.

2.) If you plan on installing your generator make sure to ELEVATE it above a flood line!

3.) Spend more on getting more amps now or you will regret not going bigger later, the upfront cost is worth the future headache especially in times of the summer where you want to run your A/C.

Always have a knowledgeable person install the generator, if installed in correctly over time a power surge from the grid can fry your generator that's why you must install a TRANSFER switch!
So did you start doing research yet for buying your own? I know they cost a pretty penny but i'm wondering in what price range is any certain amount of watts/amps.

I've been hearing all types of numbers recently, and wouldn't mind a first hand confirmation. . . 

Offline nikone

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
I have been too busy with work but when I get some time I will put up a write up on my re-search, for I am now holding off on purchasing one.

-Nikone
Palm5 says: Uhhhh what's blackberry?

philbenjoe says: A handheld celluar device. What's your question