Author Topic: Backup Generator  (Read 14072 times)

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
Re: Backup Generator
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 05:22:30 AM »
http://lighthousegeneratorsystems.com/
He is a frum guy- and a member of DD!!

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2012, 06:12:30 AM »
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
Username?
got to check with him to see if he wants me to publicize it.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
got to check with him to see if he wants me to publicize it.

No pain, no gain.

If he doesn't want to reveal his DDF handle, then you can't use his "being one of us" as a marketing point. For all we know, that could be fabricated... I, for one, will believe it when I see it.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for this in the Jewish papers with his name on it, though I can't remember the name offhand.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for this in the Jewish papers with his name on it, though I can't remember the name offhand.

does he write his ddf name?! that would be silly! and useless to this convo he wrtes his real name  ;D  :o

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2012, 03:23:59 AM »
Which paper?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
Which paper?

5TJT - page 69 on the actual paper (couldn't figure out how to quickly navigate to a specific page so it might take some clicking). It was probably in others too, but this was the easiest to find online.

does he write his ddf name?! that would be silly! and useless to this convo he wrtes his real name  ;D  :o

Real name obviously, and what you're saying is true, but then again his DDF handle shouldn't be all that relevant either. It seems a little silly to me to trust someone more just because they're a member of an online forum. And even if they have a strong presence and have shown to be trustworthy in finding deals or providing travel related information, how well does that translate to evaluating whether to actual contract their services? When you're making a decision about this type of thing you need to find about their reputation in the context of their business.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
It seems a little silly to me to trust someone more just because they're a member of an online forum. And even if they have a strong presence and have shown to be trustworthy in finding deals or providing travel related information, how well does that translate to evaluating whether to actual contract their services? When you're making a decision about this type of thing you need to find about their reputation in the context of their business.

While I wouldn't choose a contractor based on DDF status alone... nevertheless, all other things being equal, I would choose a prolific DDFer over a non-DDFer. I feel like I at least know the guy somewhat, as opposed to hiring some guy who I don't know from a hole in the wall.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »

While I wouldn't choose a contractor based on DDF status alone... nevertheless, all other things being equal, I would choose a prolific DDFer over a non-DDFer. I feel like I at least know the guy somewhat, as opposed to hiring some guy who I don't know from a hole in the wall.

If you don't really know anything about them, but you've seen many of their posts, I don't see how that should factor into it. The most I would expect to be able to glean from the mere fact that someone is a prolific DDF'er is that they like to save money, or to travel, or something of that nature. Not exactly key criteria for a contractor.

Do you mean a prolific DDF'er who you know well through DDF? That I could possibly agree to, no different than someone you know well through in-person interactions and feel confident enough in to contract their services. But if you don't even know someone well enough to know, for example, that they're in the backup generator business, how well do you know them already?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »
If you don't really know anything about them, but you've seen many of their posts, I don't see how that should factor into it. The most I would expect to be able to glean from the mere fact that someone is a prolific DDF'er is that they like to save money, or to travel, or something of that nature. Not exactly key criteria for a contractor.

Do you mean a prolific DDF'er who you know well through DDF? That I could possibly agree to, no different than someone you know well through in-person interactions and feel confident enough in to contract their services. But if you don't even know someone well enough to know, for example, that they're in the backup generator business, how well do you know them already?

comfort

and hahaha  i know him!:-)

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:06 AM »

Notice how I wrote - in bold, no less - "all other things being equal". Obviously, if someone has no experience or no reputation, I wouldn't take him merely on the basis of being a DDFer.

But take AsherO for example. I've never met him, and didn't even know his real (full) name until a short while ago. Yet if I needed someone in his profession (whatever that is) and I had to choose between him and another equally-qualified candidate, I would choose him in a heartbeat, merely based on the respect I have attained for him through DDF.

Or how about WhyAich... There are tons of travel agents out there. Yet I dropped my old travel agent (who, frankly, wasn't doing much more for me than Kayak would) and switched to him, just on the basis of interacting with him here on DDF, and getting to know him that way.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 06:15:11 AM »

Notice how I wrote - in bold, no less - "all other things being equal". Obviously, if someone has no experience or no reputation, I wouldn't take him merely on the basis of being a DDFer.

But take AsherO for example. I've never met him, and didn't even know his real (full) name until a short while ago. Yet if I needed someone in his profession (whatever that is) and I had to choose between him and another equally-qualified candidate, I would choose him in a heartbeat, merely based on the respect I have attained for him through DDF.

Or how about WhyAich... There are tons of travel agents out there. Yet I dropped my old travel agent (who, frankly, wasn't doing much more for me than Kayak would) and switched to him, just on the basis of interacting with him here on DDF, and getting to know him that way.
+2

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »

I guess this is one of those questions about the nature of internet relationships. To be clear, I don't think your thinking on this issue lacks any and all legitimacy, I just don't think I would look at it that way if I was in that real life situation.

Also, part of my point is that if you are really interested in getting a generator, your first line of inquiry shouldn't be what's his DDF handle. It should be finding out about the business, seeing if there are customers the business has served that you can get feedback from, etc. Relative to other points of information, knowing the person's DDF handle seems like it should be pretty low on the list of pros and cons.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »

It's an old mystery
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »
I'm wondering how much 5TJT charged for that ad, because when I advertised there they charged me an arm and a leg.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:47:46 PM by U-no-me! »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
I'm wondering how much 5TJT charged for that ad, because when I advertised there they charged me an arm and a leg.

What did you advertise for?

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
What did you advertise for?

Do the rates depend on what your advertising?
Vote U-no-me '14!