Author Topic: Banana republic bonus points promotion.  (Read 6160 times)

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Banana republic bonus points promotion.
« on: October 31, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
I got a letter for a 200 bonus points promotion on EVERY purchase outside of BR stores. I don't see a fine print for a cap on points nor do I see a minimum purchase. Every 1000 points equals $10 in rewards!! Anyone else have info on this?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Banana republic bonus points promotion.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
I got a letter for a 200 bonus points promotion on EVERY purchase outside of BR stores. I don't see a fine print for a cap on points nor do I see a minimum purchase. Every 1000 points equals $10 in rewards!! Anyone else have info on this?

A few hundred pair of socks from Old Navy? :)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
A few hundred pair of socks from Old Navy? :)
To buy or get with your rewards?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »
To buy or get with your rewards?

To buy. Pref the $1 kids pair at Old Navy though I am sure you can find something cheaper.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
To buy. Pref the $1 kids pair at Old Navy though I am sure you can find something cheaper.
Excludes purchases at banana gap old navy piperlime and athleta

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
Excludes purchases at banana gap old navy piperlime and athleta

Oh, its a CC? Even better!
Thought you meant a store card.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
Oh, its a CC? Even better!
Thought you meant a store card.
Sorry, should have that more clear. It says banana card but obviously means their Visa card.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Banana republic bonus points promotion.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:40 AM »
A little googling and threads on SD and FW seem to corroborate that you could get up to $250 of rewards a month (or 125 purchases). The following is from FW

Please don't crucify me in here as I am a first time poster if I break some etiquette.

I got a promotion in the mail today for the Banana Republic credit card that I have for earning 200 bonus points for every purchase not at the Banana Republic chains of stores (Gap, Old Navy, Athleta... et al) for Nov and Dec of 2012. According the bottom of the advertisement the promotion is called "BR200PTSN12" in their corporate speak.

My immediate thought was is there potential for purchase/point arbitrage here. So, I called BR's customer service line to find out the maximum number of points that can be accrued during this promotion and the minimum dollar amount purchase to qualify. The supervisor told me that minimum purchase is $1 and there is no maximum.

Now, here is the potential for arbitrage (please help or correct me if I am wrong). 200 points roughly correlates to $2 (after you cross the various thresholds that trigger gift cards mailed - usually 2000 or 5000 points). If what the supervisor stated was correct, then I have a printing press of gift cards to their stores by making hundreds or thousands of $1 purchases - as $1 spent (spending no more than $1.00) equates to $2 in rewards.

I read the T&C on BR card website and it appears that they will only issue $250 in rewards per billing cycle. Hence, as I understand it, to game this particular promotion, I ought to make precisely 125 $1.00 purchases during November and 125 $1.00 purchases in December of 2012. Please help me vet this logic to see if it is airtight.

-it looks like the max per paid period (ie. month) is $250. It is not clear as to what happens to amount above that if it rolls over or not
-the promotion goes on for Nov. and Dec. of 2012 - so you could max out at $500 in BR certificates over this time period
-typically these certificates are good for ~6 months

Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
A little googling and threads on SD and FW seem to corroborate that you could get up to $250 of rewards a month (or 125 purchases). The following is from FW

Please don't crucify me in here as I am a first time poster if I break some etiquette.

I got a promotion in the mail today for the Banana Republic credit card that I have for earning 200 bonus points for every purchase not at the Banana Republic chains of stores (Gap, Old Navy, Athleta... et al) for Nov and Dec of 2012. According the bottom of the advertisement the promotion is called "BR200PTSN12" in their corporate speak.

My immediate thought was is there potential for purchase/point arbitrage here. So, I called BR's customer service line to find out the maximum number of points that can be accrued during this promotion and the minimum dollar amount purchase to qualify. The supervisor told me that minimum purchase is $1 and there is no maximum.

Now, here is the potential for arbitrage (please help or correct me if I am wrong). 200 points roughly correlates to $2 (after you cross the various thresholds that trigger gift cards mailed - usually 2000 or 5000 points). If what the supervisor stated was correct, then I have a printing press of gift cards to their stores by making hundreds or thousands of $1 purchases - as $1 spent (spending no more than $1.00) equates to $2 in rewards.

I read the T&C on BR card website and it appears that they will only issue $250 in rewards per billing cycle. Hence, as I understand it, to game this particular promotion, I ought to make precisely 125 $1.00 purchases during November and 125 $1.00 purchases in December of 2012. Please help me vet this logic to see if it is airtight.

-it looks like the max per paid period (ie. month) is $250. It is not clear as to what happens to amount above that if it rolls over or not
-the promotion goes on for Nov. and Dec. of 2012 - so you could max out at $500 in BR certificates over this time period
-typically these certificates are good for ~6 months
I think this sounds right. Where can I make 125 $1 purchases without getting shutdown?

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
When did you sign up for the Banana Card?  I am a luxe cardholder and I did not get anything.

Offline scottrick

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
Doesn't it seem like a lot of work to get $250 store credit? If you make 125 x $1 purchases, then those better be 125 things you want, becuase deducting that cost you'd be left only $125 ahead.

Or you could just buy $250 at BR and use one of the frequent sales to get 50% off.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »
When did you sign up for the Banana Card?  I am a luxe cardholder and I did not get anything.
I have the Banana Visa card and I have had it for a while.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
Doesn't it seem like a lot of work to get $250 store credit? If you make 125 x $1 purchases, then those better be 125 things you want, becuase deducting that cost you'd be left only $125 ahead.

Or you could just buy $250 at BR and use one of the frequent sales to get 50% off.
Its free money to use in their store. Regardless of their sales this is still a great way to find more stuff for free.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
Remember folks if you do upgrade to Visa they'll have to close the original card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
Remember folks if you do upgrade to Visa they'll have to close the original card.
why is that a bad thing?

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

125 $1 Amazon gift cards

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
why is that a bad thing?
For many people a Gap/BR card is their first card.  Though even closing it won't effect your score for a decade or so.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
For many people a Gap/BR card is their first card.  Though even closing it won't effect your score for a decade or so.
true. And if the gap between your gal cards and your next card isn't too long, the effect would be minimal

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »
For some reason I did not receive this offer and noone from Banana Republic Credit Card Services knows anything about it.  What do I do?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
I received an offer for October saying make 4 purchases outside of BR and get $20 gift certificate to BR =2000 points