Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 801777 times)

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #1460 on: July 04, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »
There is a community on the east side of Denver. The other locations I mentioned are more likely just Chabad houses.
Not a real community. Great people there, but sorry, it's not a place that a chosid should move to without a very compelling reason, and the Chabad "community" ain't one of them.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 05, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »
Not a real community. Great people there, but sorry, it's not a place that a chosid should move to without a very compelling reason, and the Chabad "community" ain't one of them.
I probably know just about nothing regarding Chassidim and specifically Chabad, so I think I will bow out now. I know it's nowhere close to the size of CH or PIT, but I also know it's bigger than the Chabad houses I've visited. No idea what OP is looking for, though.

Offline abo456

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 05, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »
Can you add anything jewish-wise? schools, shuls etc

Jewish community is not any were near as big as LA so you will comparatively be limited in choices.  In San Diego the Jewish community is mostly concentrated around university city, la jolla, and carmel valley, all of which are lovely areas near the coast but are pretty expensive (at least 800k for a single family detached house, over $400k for a condo).  The more affordable areas of san diego, mostly inland, the Jewish community is non-existent.  There is a Chabad center in university city and one in poway, san diego jewish academy (k-12) in carmel valley. The public school in carmel valley (torrey pines high school) observes Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur as school hoildays since there a so many jewish students much of the school is absent on those days.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 06, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
He's looking for a chabad community, not a chabad house
Yes thats correct. Are your answers applicable to the state Colorado or just Denver? 

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 06, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
Yes thats correct. Are your answers applicable to the state Colorado or just Denver?
If I said what I said about Denver which is the biggest frum outpost in Colorado, then the rest of the state is al achas kama v'kama.

Where do you expect to find an anash community? In Boulder maybe with the potheads or in Aspen with the ski bums?  :)

No, Colorado is not a place for anyone looking for an anash community. Yes, there are some amazing shluchim there and a few devoted Chabad families, but that's not a reason why anyone should EVER willfully move there.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 06, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
If I said what I said about Denver which is the biggest frum outpost in Colorado, then the rest of the state is al achas kama v'kama.

Where do you expect to find an anash community? In Boulder maybe with the potheads or in Aspen with the ski bums?  :)

No, Colorado is not a place for anyone looking for an anash community. Yes, there are some amazing shluchim there and a few devoted Chabad families, but that's not a reason why anyone should EVER willfully move there.

I guess ill continue looking to find our place. ( im looking for a chabad comunity with a chabad school , fresh air with back yards and all in all a good quality of living ( open to outside of the US))  suggestions ?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 06, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
I guess ill continue looking to find our place. ( im looking for a chabad comunity with a chabad school , fresh air with back yards and all in all a good quality of living ( open to outside of the US))  suggestions ?
You're ready to go anywhere (literally) that has a chabad community, fresh air, & backyards ? What about work ?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »
If you want a Chabad school why did you even consider DEN?

For a Chabad school you have a few picks: NYC, ORD, LAX, MIA, DTW, and the yotzei doifen of them all PIT. There ain't that many options. Unless you want to start including a Chabad run community day school that is really for mekurovim and not for your kids.

Of the cities I mentioned above, the only one that has "fresh air with back yards and all in all a good quality of living" is PIT. And it's the most affordable (on par with DTW.)

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:17 PM »
Is there a Woodmere thread? Or can anyone help me with figuring out the various neighborhoods in Woodmere?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 06, 2015, 12:40:19 PM »
Is there a Woodmere thread? Or can anyone help me with figuring out the various neighborhoods in Woodmere?
Youre best bet is here:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=32704.0
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: July 06, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
You're ready to go anywhere (literally) that has a chabad community, fresh air, & backyards ? What about work ?

I make a 'ok" living here in BK , its nothing that i couldn't make elsewhere . so im making lemonade :) I get to choose where i want to live, something i wouldnt be able to do if i had a proper career ... 

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 06, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
If you want a Chabad school why did you even consider DEN?

For a Chabad school you have a few picks: NYC, ORD, LAX, MIA, DTW, and the yotzei doifen of them all PIT. There ain't that many options. Unless you want to start including a Chabad run community day school that is really for mekurovim and not for your kids.

Of the cities I mentioned above, the only one that has "fresh air with back yards and all in all a good quality of living" is PIT. And it's the most affordable (on par with DTW.)
thanks for the brake down:)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1472 on: July 06, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
Like Freddie said, not too many options if a chabad school is a must.  Plenty more options if you're just looking for a community of anash and are OK with a non-chabad elementary school.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »
Like Freddie said, not too many options if a chabad school is a must.  Plenty more options if you're just looking for a community of anash and are OK with a non-chabad elementary school.
Dan will even tell you that a non-Chabad primary education will make you into even more of a farbrenter chosid.  ;)

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 06, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »
I am listening... elementary is just elementary...

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: July 06, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
Dan will even tell you that a non-Chabad primary education will make you into even more of a farbrenter chosid.  ;)
I would say that the proof for his argument is in the pudding... unfortunately

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1476 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
I am listening... elementary is just elementary...
CLE of course ;)
Among many other places, but CLE's anash is growing by several families a year due to its affordability and suburban feel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »
CLE of course ;)
Among many other places, but CLE's anash is growing by several families a year due to its affordability and suburban feel.
I bet they move in the summer :) ... Well I did grow up in the Midwest and kinda like the NY winter because it short . How many months of winter does CLE get (from start to end)?
also how many families live there?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 06, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
Lol, well summer here is pretty awesome, upper 70s and not humid like NYC. April through September are lovely.

Depends how you define winter.  The worst of it is Jan and Feb and it snows a ton then.  Though temps aren't as cold as further midwest like ORD.
I don't think winter season is any longer than NYC. 

Where did you grow up?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 06, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
@ADG, half of this thread is about CLE. Every discussion seems to lead back to that point.  ;)

Just go through the 95 pages. If you're serious about moving, it will be a very good use of even a couple of hours to do so.