Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 805282 times)

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2380 on: May 23, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
Schools are not shrinking/closing?

Cmiiw, but half of Lakewood are children of Brooklyn families. - it is definitely not the other way around.
Brooklyn isnt moving out. The dynamics of neighborhoods/communities are changing. Areas such as the single digits (E. 7/8/9) are becoming more sfardi (nothing wrong with that). Reg ashkanz are definitely moving. Either 20s and 30s (for those that can afford) or to lakewood. Areas such as marine park are booming. Really depends on what "type" you consider yourself

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2381 on: May 23, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
Cmiiw, but half of Lakewood are children of Brooklyn families. - it is definitely not the other way around.
What does that prove?
There are more frum Jews today than there were a generation ago. Brooklyn can't hold everyone and people will gravitate to what they can afford.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 23, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »
What does that prove?
There are more frum Jews today than there were a generation ago. Brooklyn can't hold everyone and people will gravitate to what they can afford.
+1

I wouldnt say Brooklyn is moving out at all. Quite the contrary.

I'd say that Brooklynites are also moving elsewhere.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2383 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
Your quote shows the difference in our definitions. I can assure you if you take a poll here most people will agree living in a small apartment in Brooklyn doesn't make you holier than having a house with a backyard in Cleveland. Even though you have less physical advantages in an apartment.

The discussion about materialism seems to have taken on a life of its own on this thread. After reading what was written, and re-reading what I wrote and the subsequent responses, I think that you might have simply read into my words things I definitely did not intend, and which I believe I didn't even say.
  • I definitely do not think or believe that "living in a small apartment in Brooklyn (doesn't) make you holier than having a house with a backyard in Cleveland".
  • The above being said, I do think that there are people who are driven by materialism to OOT living. This is not a blanket statement, and definitely not something that I previously said. All I said is that materialism (as defined in English) transcends any specific location.
  • Reading from what you wrote, as well as others, it seems to me that most people do agree with the definition of materialism as I inferred. The "disagreement" is whether moving OOT for better housing conditions is considered materialism. I don't think I inferred such, please correct me if you see a quote of mine that could be construed to indicate that I think so. This is why I put "disagreement" in quotes, as I don't believe we disagree at all on this point.
  • While I don't live in an apartment, I can name several גשמיות'דיקע advantages to living in an apartment. Nothing is absolute, everything has pros and cons (hence the title of this thread)

When you don't know someone and you criticize what they do in an online forum it does not come off as light-hearted and definitely not as a friend.

I will restate what I said before, I didn't intend to criticize anyone. Anyone that feels I had criticized them is welcome to PM me for clarification/personal apology. And while I don't know anyone living in CLE personally, there's a lot to know about a person with a public persona and lots of web postings. I made a sly comment in light heart, expecting that it would be taken with a light heart and good spirit. I seem to have touched a raw nerve somewhere, and I'm sorry about that.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 23, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
What does that prove?
Good point. Lakewood has a massive amount of Brooklyn transplants, but that does not mean its emptying out. BTW, Monsey and many other communities have plenty of Jews that hail from there as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but imho all of New York city and its environs, Long Island, much of New Jersey and Rockland County are what most Jews refer to as "In Town". 

Having said that, would love to hear of some cities that best offer the IT attributes combined with the OOT attributes.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2385 on: May 23, 2016, 07:21:21 PM »
Good point. Lakewood has a massive amount of Brooklyn transplants, but that does not mean its emptying out. BTW, Monsey and many other communities have plenty of Jews that hail from there as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but imho all of New York city and its environs, Long Island, much of New Jersey and Rockland County are what most Jews refer to as "In Town". 

Having said that, would love to hear of some cities that best offer the IT attributes combined with the OOT attributes.
I hate the terms IT and OOT.

What attributes of NYC are you looking for exactly? If it were up to Smisek, merging the best would mean finding a high crime, noisy place that has bad traffic and no parking along with not many schools and restaurants to choose from.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 23, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
OOT: Pros- cheaper housing, less people, less choices (which makes people less judgmental).

IT: Pros- more people, more family, more jobs, more choices.

This comment. Which is what made me think, can't there be some kind of middle ground?

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 23, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »
I hate the terms IT and OOT.

What attributes of NYC are you looking for exactly? If it were up to Smisek, merging the best would mean finding a high crime, noisy place that has bad traffic and no parking along with not many schools and restaurants to choose from.

That would be combining minuses. I know that a double negative forms a positive though....

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2388 on: May 23, 2016, 07:34:34 PM »
After reading a couple of pages on this thread, the pluses and minuses of OOT and IT start to become super clear.

Cleveland and Brooklyn are the prototype OOT and IT communities on DD.

Which community/communities most closely combine the pluses of both OOT & IT?

(I know... nothing truly does, which is why I state MOST closely combine....)

Monsey (is it still that way?) and North Jersey are somewhere in btween.

Even though
imho all of New York city and its environs, Long Island, much of New Jersey and Rockland County are what most Jews refer to as "In Town".   
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 23, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »
Monsey (is it still that way?) and North Jersey are somewhere in btween.

Even though

Perhaps, but housing is very expensive. Tilting it solidly right of center in the OOT -----IT spectrum

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2390 on: May 23, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »
Perhaps, but houses are very expensive. Tilting it solidly right of center in the OOT -----IT spectrum
As was stated before, not all OOT has low housing prices. Certainly not LA, Toronto, and more. Personality wise they are in between. My father always says that when you need to fight for a parking spot daily (or more) it has an effect on your personality.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2391 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
My father always says that when you need to fight for a parking spot daily (or more) it has an effect on your personality.

That might be true, but is it possible that it's the personality that leads one to fight for a parking spot. I know plenty of people that live in Brooklyn and would never fight over a parking spot.

That being said, seeing people waste valuable parking space by parking 25 feet from a fire hydrant or 5-10 feet away probably has had an affect on my personality, but that has been mitigated thanks to DW.
-- Dan

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »
That being said, seeing people waste valuable parking space by parking 25 feet from a fire hydrant or 5-10 feet away probably has had an affect on my personality, but that has been mitigated thanks to DW
Why, she parks like that?  :P
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 23, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
My father always says that when you need to fight for a parking spot daily (or more) it has an effect on your personality.
Absolutely.
Just having to deal with heavy traffic and alternate side puts a damper on your mood.
Getting home and not finding parking? Nisht fa' mir.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 23, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
This thread is ridiculous. That being said, let's find an island somewhere that we can buy and move to. I'm in.

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 23, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »
This thread is ridiculous. That being said, let's find an island somewhere that we can buy and move to. I'm in.
I think there's already an island that's owned almost exclusively by Jews. It's called Manhattan.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 23, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »
I think there's already an island that's owned almost exclusively by Jews. It's called Manhattan.

I can't afford that island . Don't think anyone can

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 23, 2016, 08:39:28 PM »
Why, she parks like that?  :P
On occasion she does, though she usually calls me to park the car for her.
-- Dan

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 23, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=38452
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 23, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »
I'm too materialistic to settle on Hawaii.