Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 803683 times)

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2500 on: September 16, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
So adding 68 families, with preschool/pre1a having (im assuming 80-100) students, is not much. Id assume many of those new families are from their first child going to school, but could have been thier awhile. Plus kids switch schools sometimes. So how many of those new families are families that just moved into CLE?
My guess is that out of the 68 around half are new in town. Add in the people that moved in after the newsletter went to print, and the two other schools... For Cleveland to get 65-95 new families in one summer is much.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
My guess is that out of the 68 around half are new in town. Add in the people that moved in after the newsletter went to print, and the two other schools... For Cleveland to get 65-95 new families in one summer is much.
How many families total does CLE have?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2502 on: September 16, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
Can someone give me pros and cons of north miami beach. Specifically catering to a newly married couple.
Well let's see they may have Zika soon so having a child could involve huge health risks, a Rabbi was killed walking to shul a couple years a go in broad daylight shabbos morning, many people feel the need to carry a gun at all times, the city looks like a bomb went off and they forgot to clean up the pieces, it's very hot and humid in the summer, you aren't on the water but prices ares till high, muggings and break-ins are probably as common as living in a bad part of NYC. But hey winters are nice.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: September 16, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
Be careful what you wish for. A large influx may change the character of CLE

If they all vote Republican, it can impact the general election  :P

Offline Kabrams1618

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:16 AM »
We live in Jerusalem.  I don't need to say more.
I read all the rest of the comments and laugh, sadly.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: September 18, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
Well let's see they may have Zika soon so having a child could involve huge health risks, a Rabbi was killed walking to shul a couple years a go in broad daylight shabbos morning, many people feel the need to carry a gun at all times, the city looks like a bomb went off and they forgot to clean up the pieces, it's very hot and humid in the summer, you aren't on the water but prices ares till high, muggings and break-ins are probably as common as living in a bad part of NYC. But hey winters are nice.
Beautifully said

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2506 on: September 18, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
So... You like it?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: September 18, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
We live in Jerusalem.  I don't need to say more.
I read all the rest of the comments and laugh, sadly.
Crazy real estate market. Cheaper in CLE
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2508 on: September 18, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Though back in the day Chabad and many "center/mainstream" families went to HAC, it seems like a lot of them are going with Mizrachi these days and their growth has been explosive from what I hear.

Both of my kids are now in HAC, though among the Chabad community a majority now to go Mizrachi compared to none back in my day.
Might be a little OT, but given the above statements, I wonder how "Chabad" families or "Chabad" community are defined?

I am not at all into labeling, boxing-in or defining anyone but myself, but just like everyone, there are some loose definitions in the back of my mind.

I know close to nothing Cleveland, so I googled the two schools you mentioned. The photos that came up on the front page of http://www.fuchsmizrachi.org/ didn't seem like anything that might appeal to what I would imagine to be compatible with a Chabad point of view, which made me wonder and ask about the definitions to the above.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2509 on: September 18, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »
The more mainstream Chabad families go to HAC.
The more modern go to Mizrachi, but there are now several Chabad families with husbands that have beards, Kapotas, and keep C"Y who go to Mizrachi as well. The Tzad hashoveh is that they've all moved here recently and have been more impressed with the staff at Mizrachi and they haven't gone to HAC themselves.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2510 on: September 18, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »

Restaurants. Very important. Restaurants. We must keep in mind that the overall Miami area has lots of great restaurants.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: September 18, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »
The more modern go to Mizrachi, but there are now several Chabad families with husbands that have beards, Kapotas, and keep C"Y who go to Mizrachi as well. The Tzad hashoveh is that they've all moved here recently and have been more impressed with the staff at Mizrachi and they haven't gone to HAC themselves.
Are there a lot of 'modern' chabad families that don't have beards, keep C"Y etc?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: September 18, 2016, 07:18:27 PM »
So... You like it?
He doesn't live in north miami beach
Restaurants. Very important. Restaurants. We must keep in mind that the overall Miami area has lots of great restaurants.
He lives near restaurants, nmb really dosnt have much.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2513 on: September 18, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Didn't see a direct answer to my question as to how you define "Chabad" families and community, except if "husbands that have beards, Kapotas, and keep C"Y" is to be inferred as your definition.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2514 on: September 18, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »
Are there a lot of 'modern' chabad families that don't have beards, keep C"Y etc?
It runs the gamut really.

You have guys that associate with Chabad because they like the atmosphere, attitude, or even the time of davening. I wouldn't really call them Chabad, but they daven at Chabad for whatever reason.
You have guys who are B"T that may have spent time in some of Chabad's BT yeshivas but have never gotten to a point of growing a beard or keeping C"Y. But they consider themselves to be Chabad Chasidim.

And you have Chabad guys who went through the system but took off their beard/kapota, etc. The local Rabbis will do what they can to talk to these guys, but in the end of the day they're still part of the community as opposed to other Chasidic sects where they would be tossed out. That has pluses and minuses, on the one hand it's easier to "chill out" because you know you won't be ostracized. On the other hand, at least you're not giving up on Orthodox Judaism just because you can't keep up with every standard.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: September 18, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Didn't see a direct answer to my question as to how you define "Chabad" families and community, except if "husbands that have beards, Kapotas, and keep C"Y" is to be inferred as your definition.
Feel free to provide your own definition, but realize that Chabad is much bigger than farmers in Crown Heights.
A sign of a Chosid can usually be found through those external things and it makes for a forum friendly definition.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: September 18, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
Dan I recall upthread a post you outline the three schools, can you repost? was that for boys or girls? and are there any chasidim in CL (other than Chabad)? If yes where do they fall in?

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: September 18, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »

Dan I recall upthread a post you outline the three schools, can you repost? was that for boys or girls? and are there any chasidim in CL (other than Chabad)? If yes where do they fall in?

Left to right the three schools are Mizrachi, HAC, Derech Hatorah (Formally Mosdos). Mizrachi is somewhat coed while the other two have both a boys and girls division.

Other than Chabad there is the Alexsander Shteeble in University Heights which has a small following. Not sure how to categorize them though.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: September 19, 2016, 12:58:53 AM »
Feel free to provide your own definition, but realize that Chabad is much bigger than farmers in Crown Heights.
I will be the first one to acknowledge that living in Crown Heights (especially if I only daven in 770) is living in a bubble, but don't think that justifies a condescending remark about the wonderful people of Crown Heights (farmers et al).

I also stated that I am only willing to (attempt) at self-definition. I was not questioning any definition, but rather inquiring as some details seemed incongruent.

A sign of a Chosid can usually be found through those external things and it makes for a forum friendly definition.
I accept your explanation of a "forum friendly definition", though as you acknowledge they are חיצוניות (which is, more often than not, influenced by פנימיות) and that is why I personally choose to avoid labels as much as possible, as I don't trust חיצוניות for good or for bad. Especially in today's day and age, there's so much more beyond what meets one's eye.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:25:03 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons