Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788469 times)

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2720 on: October 25, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2721 on: October 25, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »
Very surprised that they made such a map public. I would hate it if I lived there.

Remember that thing called a telephone book? There's nothing here that there wasn't on there.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: October 25, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »
anyone here know about the clifton young jewish community?
PM me

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2723 on: October 26, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
Very surprised that they made such a map public. I would hate it if I lived there.

+1
Remember that thing called a telephone book? There's nothing here that there wasn't on there.

this is dozens of hours of less work than a telephone book for someone who is trying to track someone/something. (seems a bit intrusive.) For better or for worse. Interesting to see the 4 families that extended the ERuv to their 2 blocks on the other side of the expressway. That can also encourage more homebuyers.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: October 26, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
this is dozens of hours of less work than a telephone book for someone who is trying to track someone/something. (seems a bit intrusive.)
because it takes dozens of hours to plug an address from a phone book into google maps?  ::)

My initial reaction when I saw that was also that's it's very intrusive etc, but then I realized that it's essentially the same information that's always available anyways.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: October 26, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
this is dozens of hours of less work than a telephone book for someone who is trying to track someone/something. (seems a bit intrusive.) For better or for worse. Interesting to see the 4 families that extended the ERuv to their 2 blocks on the other side of the expressway. That can also encourage more homebuyers.
Ever heard of whitepages.com?
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2726 on: October 26, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »

yes, but you can't map 300 named (Jewish) families in a community in 60 seconds with it.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: October 26, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
Yes but the information is readily available.
1) Every meshulach has a complete list
2) A ganuv that is familiar even slightly with the community could look at the list and see exactly which houses to target yomtov time when many families are away. Furthermore, they know that there is a much less of a chance of dogs being there. Or a big, tough, violent, illegal weapon owning, ex criminal doesn't live there.
3) Allows troublemaker kids to know which house to target for graffiti or antisemitic violence.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2728 on: October 26, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
Is this accurate? I would have thought that there would be blocks that are more concentrated with yidden.
to be clear, that is the more chassidish SI crowd, dont see young israel members agudah members etc... there is a nachas unlimited big sheet/phone book with all frum residents.

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: October 29, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
Interesting to see the 4 families that extended the ERuv to their 2 blocks on the other side of the expressway. That can also encourage more homebuyers.
That part of the eiruv has been there for a very long time already.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: October 29, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Is this accurate? I would have thought that there would be blocks that are more concentrated with yidden.
Not accurate at all. Tons of missing information there.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:14 AM »
So now that the new tax law passed it’ll be really interesting to see how it affects the desirability of certain states Jewishly. For example, Colorado is one of just 5 states that allows unlimited deductions for deposits into 529 accounts, which the new tax law now lets you use for day school tuition, so basically all my kids school tuition is now deductible off my state taxes until I get it down to zero, which will save me thousands of dollars.  Also since property tax is so low here, even a million+ home (which still gets you a mansion in Colorado) won’t put you above 10k in taxes so you can deduct all your property tax off your federal taxes. 

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: December 26, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
So now that the new tax law passed it’ll be really interesting to see how it affects the desirability of certain states Jewishly. For example, Colorado is one of just 5 states that allows unlimited deductions for deposits into 529 accounts, which the new tax law now lets you use for day school tuition, so basically all my kids school tuition is now deductible off my state taxes until I get it down to zero, which will save me thousands of dollars.  Also since property tax is so low here, even a million+ home (which still gets you a mansion in Colorado) won’t put you above 10k in taxes so you can deduct all your property tax off your federal taxes.

Anyone know how this affects New York? Can I open a 529 account now and put in money and save on 2017 NYS taxes? Are there any limits to the amount that can be deducted for state taxes?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: December 26, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
Anyone know how this affects New York? Can I open a 529 account now and put in money and save on 2017 NYS taxes? Are there any limits to the amount that can be deducted for state taxes?
Yes. $10k.

As @CPA has mentioned elsewhere though, it's not 100% clear how the states will react to the 529 changes. It's possible they'll limit the benefits for K-12 wherever they can. I contacted NY's plan and they basically said we're working with the state to get more info and we'll let you know. You can still put the money in for this year, and if they somehow limit the benefit between now and when you file your 2017 taxes, withdraw the principal with no penalties. Or you can leave the money in there to pay for post high school yeshiva/seminary/college (assuming they're accredited).

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: December 26, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
Yes. $10k.

As @CPA has mentioned elsewhere though, it's not 100% clear how the states will react to the 529 changes. It's possible they'll limit the benefits for K-12 wherever they can. I contacted NY's plan and they basically said we're working with the state to get more info and we'll let you know. You can still put the money in for this year, and if they somehow limit the benefit between now and when you file your 2017 taxes, withdraw the principal with no penalties. Or you can leave the money in there to pay for post high school yeshiva/seminary/college (assuming they're accredited).

Thanks - so worst case scenario - New York says there will be no deduction and I end up paying tuition out of that money the same way I would have done either. Only difference is that the fees associated with maintaining the account - any idea how much those are?

Also - there are no time constraints on how long the money needs to sit in the 529 account, correct?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks - so worst case scenario - New York says there will be no deduction and I end up paying tuition out of that money the same way I would have done either. Only difference is that the fees associated with maintaining the account - any idea how much those are?

Also - there are no time constraints on how long the money needs to sit in the 529 account, correct?
For NY I believe it's .15% for all the choices, but I don't know how or when the fees are taken out. There's no minimum holding period in NY.

If they decide to limit the NY state benefits, you obviously won't get the deduction, but you also might pay state tax plus the 10% penalty on any gains. Since this is such a short period of time, this is not likely to have a big effect. You're still probably better off than if you had left the money in similar investments in a regular account and then used it to pay tuition, since there any gain would be fully taxed (ie including federal).

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2736 on: December 26, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
Yes. $10k.

Not sure how beneficial a 2017 contribution intended for almost immediate withdrawal would be.

Let's assume 8% state and local income tax rate. So a 10k contribution would save $800 on those taxes, but for 2017 those taxes are deductible for Federal purposes. So when you pay less SALT, your Federal income taxes will actually go up slightly. Might still be beneficial, but could be limited relative to effort and some uncertainty (at this point) regarding K-12 withdrawals out of the NYS plan.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: December 26, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
Not sure how beneficial a 2017 contribution intended for almost immediate withdrawal would be.

Let's assume 8% state and local income tax rate. So a 10k contribution would save $800 on those taxes, but for 2017 those taxes are deductible for Federal purposes. So when you pay less SALT, your Federal income taxes will actually go up slightly. Might still be beneficial, but could be limited relative to effort and some uncertainty (at this point) regarding K-12 withdrawals out of the NYS plan.
That seems like a very minor detail. Unless you have no tax liability, you're still probably talking about a minimum of $400, even after you factor in the lowered SALT deduction on your federal taxes. Not sure what effort is involved. If you don't already have a 529, you should open one regardless (for slightly longer term saving for tuition). With NY, it's an extremely quick and easy process that can be done online in a matter of minutes.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: December 26, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
Yes. $10k.

#1 rule of the deal. DON'T CALL

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: December 26, 2017, 12:23:44 PM »
#1 rule of the deal. DON'T CALL
Phew, good thing I emailed instead of calling ;)