Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788391 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #3280 on: May 06, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »
Probably something like this, with some negotiations:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4461-Silsby-Rd-University-Heights-OH-44118/33679762_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4397-Silsby-Rd-University-Heights-OH-44118/33679831_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2419-Laurelhurst-Rd-University-Heights-OH-44118/33680484_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4482-Groveland-Rd-University-Heights-OH-44118/33680131_zpid/
Very tight for a family with 6 or even 3-4 kids. Manageable, and people in Israel live in smaller apartments with more kids , but in the US most from families live in a much larger house. When people talk about 3-400k homes in out of town communities, theya re probably talking about 2-3k sq ft

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: May 06, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »
Wow, that’s amazing and I’m happy to know there are still places where frum people can have the infrastructure they need and still live a solidly middle class life. Denver has way less frum Infrastructure than Cleveland and our crazy housing market has inhibited our growth as a great OOT option. A few families have even left here (can’t imagine the price difference from NY) for Cleveland, Dallas and Cincinnati (Cincinnati was for a of number specific Klei Kodesh jobs) and all seem to be happy with the easier, lower cost of life.
Dallas is not so affordable these days. Taxes are obviously lower (as are wages by and large--so it might work out to be a wash), but home prices for a 3+ BR in the eruv (North eruv, which is cheaper than South eruv) still crest around +/- 400k. In Bergen county where we are now, thdy are only 20% higher in my estimation. While lots are bigger, houses tend to be single story, so the sqf on the homes are comparable to NJ.

My SIL moved to Dallas 2-3 years ago and has been trying to convince us to move but in the long run, we would barely pay less than Bergen County that it's worth it to move right now, given the other trade-offs/expenses involved.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: May 06, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
Nearly everyone moving to CLE are moving for the vouchers, so that excludes Beachwood.
Fair enough, but that doesn't negate my original statement.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3283 on: May 06, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
Very tight for a family with 6 or even 3-4 kids. Manageable, and people in Israel live in smaller apartments with more kids , but in the US most from families live in a much larger house. When people talk about 3-400k homes in out of town communities, theya re probably talking about 2-3k sq ft
The Sq footage excludes the attic and basement, which can both be used as bedrooms.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
On a totally different note, I went skiing last Friday in A-Basin (about an hour from Denver) and it was just perfect powder conditions after a couple days of snow in the mountains and then I got back to Denver in time to pick up my kids from school, to also beautiful sunny, clear skies but in the high sixties! It’s snowed again yesterday and today in the mtns and I’m trying to decide if I have too much work to go again tomorrow. There are definite pros to the weather and mtns here that make up for a number of the cons.  :)

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: May 30, 2019, 03:03:50 AM »
On a totally different note, I went skiing last Friday in A-Basin (about an hour from Denver) and it was just perfect powder conditions after a couple days of snow in the mountains and then I got back to Denver in time to pick up my kids from school, to also beautiful sunny, clear skies but in the high sixties! It’s snowed again yesterday and today in the mtns and I’m trying to decide if I have too much work to go again tomorrow. There are definite pros to the weather and mtns here that make up for a number of the cons.  :)
There were six inches of snow in big bear (and 29 in mammoth) over the last weekend, and perfect surf conditions. Ski to surf in 2 hours. :)

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: May 30, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
There were six inches of snow in big bear (and 29 in mammoth) over the last weekend, and perfect surf conditions. Ski to surf in 2 hours. :)

That’s also amazing and BH all the snow from this winter will end the many years of drought conditions there!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: May 30, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »
That’s also amazing and BH all the snow from this winter will end the many years of drought conditions there!
Doubtful, but it's nice to hope so.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: May 30, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »
Doubtful, but it's nice to hope so.
Actually, she's almost right. A year ago there was no white on this map.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: May 30, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »
Actually, she's almost right. A year ago there was no white on this map.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA
Cool, I didn't know about that site.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: May 30, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
Cool, I didn't know about that site.
I think they'll give you historicals too

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: June 02, 2019, 02:29:30 PM »
https://greaterlakewood.com/new-affordable-frum-community-being-formed-near-toronto-heres-how-to-join/

https://timetomove.ca/ppt/

Looks like a new Canadian community...

It's amazing to me how the solution to affordability issues is starting a community where single homes start in the low 600k!

Granted that Toronto is pricier, but still.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3292 on: June 02, 2019, 03:10:15 PM »
https://greaterlakewood.com/new-affordable-frum-community-being-formed-near-toronto-heres-how-to-join/

It's amazing to me how the solution to affordability issues is starting a community where single homes start in the low 600k!

USD or CAD?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3293 on: June 02, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »

USD or CAD?
Absurd either way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: June 02, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »

While it is not the traditional route for affordability, it does provide a more spacious home for about half the price you are paying in the city. It can be seen as a compromise for those that still want to be close to family/work and not want to purchase a 1,500 sqft home for $900k-$1m. One may also be able to find housing there which is even more affordable if they do not purchase from the developer.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: June 02, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »
Absurd either way.
Everything is relative. If they want to be near that community, this may be their next best option.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: June 02, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »
The housing market in Toronto (and NYC, Boston & LA) is another example why certain OOT communities with a certain amount of Jewish infrastructure are exploding. A close family member just moved from Toronto to Boca Raton and told me they got another 40 families that moved into the community last summer. They are living near one of the newer shuls (not the main one) but 600k there can get you a huge home with a pool, that backs onto a lake in a gated community.

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: June 03, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
The housing market in Toronto (and NYC, Boston & LA) is another example why certain OOT communities with a certain amount of Jewish infrastructure are exploding. A close family member just moved from Toronto to Boca Raton and told me they got another 40 families that moved into the community last summer. They are living near one of the newer shuls (not the main one) but 600k there can get you a huge home with a pool, that backs onto a lake in a gated community.
Agreed. We will see less and less young families stay in NY Tri State Area as long as they can find good jobs in smaller communities.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #3298 on: June 03, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »
Only problem with all this is the schooling

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3299 on: June 03, 2019, 01:34:07 PM »
Only problem with all this is the schooling

Which for many is the overriding reason as to where they live (or stay).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan