Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788610 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #1300 on: December 28, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
Is the quality of your life better because you have a minyan around the block every 15 minutes instead of every 30?

Is the quality of your life better because you have 30 schools to choose from instead of 3?

Is the quality of your life better because your kids can walk 5 minutes to school instead of taking a free school bus from your house to school?

At some point more choice doesn't improve quality of life than a step back from the hustle and bustle will do for your sanity and paying less for a mortgage than you would for rent will.

And personally I'd rather drive 5 minutes to a grocery store or hardware store that has a big parking lot than walk 5 minutes with my stuff.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 28, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
Is the quality of your life better because you have a minyan around the block every 15 minutes instead of every 30?

Is the quality of your life better because you have 30 schools to choose from instead of 3?

Is the quality of your life better because your kids can walk 5 minutes to school instead of taking a free school bus from your house to school?

At some point more choice doesn't improve quality of life than a step back from the hustle and bustle will do for your sanity and paying less for a mortgage than you would for rent will.

And personally I'd rather drive 5 minutes to a grocery store or hardware store that has a big parking lot than walk 5 minutes with my stuff.
I think you misunderstood my post I was contrasting Oot quality of life with in town conveniences.
Also I grew up in Chicago and didn't have a minyan around the corner every 30 min.
and we don't walk 5 min. with our stuff. It's delivered pretty much right away. I just think that though we both prefer OOT quality of life , I'm more in tune to the in town conveniences.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1302 on: December 28, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »

Yup.

Called the Paradox of Choice. At a certain point, more options become both potentially debilitating, as well as counter-productive.

But I imagine that's a pro for the in-towners. Oh, how they love to politic till the cows come home of where my child goes to school and where I daven and what grocery store I shop at.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1303 on: December 28, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
Also I grew up in Chicago and didn't have a minyan around the corner every 30 min.
Seems hard to believe considering that we pretty much have that in CLE.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 29, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »
Seems hard to believe considering that we pretty much have that in CLE.
It's just not true
http://www.crcweb.org/Minyanim.pdf
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: December 29, 2014, 08:26:09 AM »
I live in Brooklyn but didn't grow up there. Dan makes some valid points (as he had done countless times in this thread :) ) but honestly, for me, it comes down to 2 things: Family & Jobs.

There are significantly more opportunities in NY, especially for young frum couples. Think about the plethora of Frum owned businesses that employ young men and women in NY. Our rent and mortgages are higher but so are quality of the jobs and the comfort that comes from working for a Frum person and not having to worry about Shabbos, YT, leaving early etc.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
It's just not true
Did you link that up to a map? He said around the corner.

Not that a little schar halicha ever killed anybody. ;)

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1307 on: December 29, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
Did you link that up to a map? He said around the corner.
Not that a little schar halicha ever killed anybody. ;)

...no but occasionally some icy roads, sidewalks, and/or 4ft of snow can be slightly dangerous...
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 29, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »
...no but occasionally some icy roads, sidewalks, and/or 4ft of snow can be slightly dangerous...
#ThingsPittsburghersSay ;)

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 29, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Ergel link=topic=21675.msg1010458#msg1010458 date=1419831874its a
It's just not true
[/quote
you are aware that there are different areas in chicago?
e.g.: those who live south of Peterson have 6, 6:30, 7 & 8 and after that it's a 10 to 15 min walk (depending on where you live when i grew up in pp there was 6:40 and anything else was a 10 min walk.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
You are aware that there are places in Brooklyn with the same?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 29, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
You are aware that there are places in Brooklyn with the same?
there a far more places in chicago like that and very few live walking distance from the schools

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 29, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
there a far more places in chicago like that and very few live walking distance from the schools
Don't you have school buses? Why would I want my kids walking to school when they can be driven?

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 29, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
Don't you have school buses? Why would I want my kids walking to school when they can be driven?
we didn't have buses and even though I live in bklyn m kids do go to a school that requires transportation but I would love to send to a closer school instead of waiting 15 min. for the bus. Listen, I would plan on giving up all these pro's in a second when I settle on the right job OOT town, but while I'm here I'm not going to pretend they don't exist. If I did I'd probably be depressed immediately .

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 29, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
we didn't have buses and even though I live in bklyn m kids do go to a school that requires transportation but I would love to send to a closer school instead of waiting 15 min. for the bus. Listen, I would plan on giving up all these pro's in a second when I settle on the right job OOT town, but while I'm here I'm not going to pretend they don't exist. If I did I'd probably be depressed immediately .
The bus here comes the exact same time every day as we don't have that thing called traffic that causes 15 minute fluctuations...

Anyway, what jobs do you guys have that don't exist OOT? Somehow all of the folks here are miraculously employed...

Offline MisterHock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 29, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Somehow all of the folks here are miraculously employed...

All?

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 29, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Anyway, what jobs do you guys have that don't exist OOT? Somehow all of the folks here are miraculously employed...
I was talking about my job situation specifically,  which I thought was pretty self evident.  Trust me, in the specific field I am entering has very few opportunities in CLE ( it was given strong consideration) though there are some other Ohio cities that look more promising.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 29, 2014, 08:45:29 PM »
All?
I don't know of a single person in my shul who is unemployed.
Then again OH doesn't have the benefits that NY doles out, so it would be tough to live otherwise.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 29, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
I was talking about my job situation specifically,  which I thought was pretty self evident.  Trust me, in the specific field I am entering has very few opportunities in CLE ( it was given strong consideration) though there are some other Ohio cities that look more promising.
And I was also referring to the previous responses of folks who say that there are no jobs OOT...

Don't care to share your field?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 29, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
Dan,  you are paying for the busses with your taxes