Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788386 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #1320 on: December 29, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
Dan,  you are paying for the busses with your taxes
Obviously nothing is free.
And yet my taxes are less than in Chicago or NYC where busing isn't "free".
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 29, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
And I was also referring to the previous responses of folks who say that there are no jobs OOT...

Don't care to share your field?
pm sent and overall I have more opportunities OOT than intown just not CLE.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1322 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:24 PM »
pm sent and overall I have more opportunities OOT than intown just not CLE.
pm sent back, hope it works for you :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
oy, I love/hate this thread. I'm one of those OOT people that got stuck in NY (although I'm not sure if my neighborhood is considered NY by real NYers).
As a little background, I always said that NY is a great place to visit but terrible to live. As a matter of fact, one of the first things I told my parents when they asked me what I'm looking for in a girl when I started dating was that I DON'T want a girl from NY (actually I may have said Brooklyn). Well, as they say, G-d has a sense of humor. Not only did I marry a girl from Brooklyn, I now live in 5towns/FR. (Obviously, there is a hashgacha pratis story how I met my wife, agreed to go out with her, etc but that's for a different time.)
So, after living in EY for a few years after getting married and living in Elizabeth for a year afterwards (wife had to do a year internship in the tristate area to finish her Masters, and I refused to move to Lakewood, Brooklyn, Monsey, etc.) I was ready to move OOT. I didn't have any for sure jobs lined up but a few possibility starter jobs. Then I get a call from relative of mine who had an opening in his company. It was a well paying job (way more than any of the possibilities that I had at the time OOT), with huge potential for quick growth. Problem is that it is located in Queens. I spoke to several people/rabonim and I took the job and moved to FR. Two years later, I bought a house in the five town. Anybody hear of Inwood? 3 years ago, most people didn't. Its the 'lost' 5th town. There were about 15-20 families here at the time. House was small but affordable (and I have property. I'm now in the process of getting permits to double the size of my house). Community now has close to 60 families.
So now, I'm in an OOT type community (friendly people, only one shul/Rov here, affordable housing, kids have a nice size back yard to play in, neighbors mind their own business, etc.) but with all of the in-town amenities near by in FR and 5towns (a 5 minute drive max). We have all of the stores that we need, restaurants, schools, minyan factories,etc. And I have a very solid, stable, well paying job. Yes, it takes me 45 minutes usually (but sometimes up to 1:15hr) each way to/from work when it is only 14 miles away but that could easily change since there are plenty of job opportunities in my field nearby and it's just a matter of me deciding to move on from the family business.
In short, I would still love to move OOT but I think I'm stuck here because of my job. My position in an OOT community pays much much less and at this time my family is not ready to make the move (kids are a little older, my wife has a good and well paying job, we own a house, etc). But there are several communities in the greater NY area that offer many pros of both, an OOT an intown community.

Offline jbkr101

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: December 29, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
I don't know of a single person in my shul who is unemployed.
Then again OH doesn't have the benefits that NY doles out, so it would be tough to live otherwise.
b"h in your shul there is no one unemployed but unfortunately there are people in the community unemployed or underemployed. that being said i still think its a complete misconception that there are no jobs OOt. i know plenty of guys who moved to cle and got jobs. they pay less because cost of living is less! not mention the lack of need to "keep up with the joneses"!

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 30, 2014, 01:59:46 AM »
b"h in your shul there is no one unemployed but unfortunately there are people in the community unemployed or underemployed. that being said i still think its a complete misconception that there are no jobs OOt. i know plenty of guys who moved to cle and got jobs. they pay less because cost of living is less! not mention the lack of need to "keep up with the joneses"!

Another thing to consider - Typically you have more job choice around big cities than OOT. So, in CLE, even if you get a good job, it may be difficult to change to another job you like down the road due to limited supply of good jobs. In NY, you may have an easier time.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1326 on: December 30, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »
oy, I love/hate this thread. I'm one of those OOT people that got stuck in NY (although I'm not sure if my neighborhood is considered NY by real NYers).
As a little background, I always said that NY is a great place to visit but terrible to live. As a matter of fact, one of the first things I told my parents when they asked me what I'm looking for in a girl when I started dating was that I DON'T want a girl from NY (actually I may have said Brooklyn). Well, as they say, G-d has a sense of humor. Not only did I marry a girl from Brooklyn, I now live in 5towns/FR. (Obviously, there is a hashgacha pratis story how I met my wife, agreed to go out with her, etc but that's for a different time.)
So, after living in EY for a few years after getting married and living in Elizabeth for a year afterwards (wife had to do a year internship in the tristate area to finish her Masters, and I refused to move to Lakewood, Brooklyn, Monsey, etc.) I was ready to move OOT. I didn't have any for sure jobs lined up but a few possibility starter jobs. Then I get a call from relative of mine who had an opening in his company. It was a well paying job (way more than any of the possibilities that I had at the time OOT), with huge potential for quick growth. Problem is that it is located in Queens. I spoke to several people/rabonim and I took the job and moved to FR. Two years later, I bought a house in the five town. Anybody hear of Inwood? 3 years ago, most people didn't. Its the 'lost' 5th town. There were about 15-20 families here at the time. House was small but affordable (and I have property. I'm now in the process of getting permits to double the size of my house). Community now has close to 60 families.
So now, I'm in an OOT type community (friendly people, only one shul/Rov here, affordable housing, kids have a nice size back yard to play in, neighbors mind their own business, etc.) but with all of the in-town amenities near by in FR and 5towns (a 5 minute drive max). We have all of the stores that we need, restaurants, schools, minyan factories,etc. And I have a very solid, stable, well paying job. Yes, it takes me 45 minutes usually (but sometimes up to 1:15hr) each way to/from work when it is only 14 miles away but that could easily change since there are plenty of job opportunities in my field nearby and it's just a matter of me deciding to move on from the family business.
In short, I would still love to move OOT but I think I'm stuck here because of my job. My position in an OOT community pays much much less and at this time my family is not ready to make the move (kids are a little older, my wife has a good and well paying job, we own a house, etc). But there are several communities in the greater NY area that offer many pros of both, an OOT an intown community.
+108 Amen, this is the key point. lots of hate on NYC, but u dont need to live in the heart of brooklyn or manhattan to enjoy the best of both worlds. places like inwood, teaneck, staten island (my ville), hippy brooklyn (parkslope etc), other close NJ locations and even Monsey/pomona can give a real out of town vibe where u dont feel pressured to conform, dont feel like u gotta keep up with anyone else, but still get the premium employment opportunities, groceries and entertainment/restaurant experiences that really are only in NYC. Sure the real estate in those locations may still be more than Houston or Cleveland, but if you are employed at a normal NY rate job that is usually handled. people in my hood all say good shabbos with a smile (no matter what im wearing etc.), our rabbis still give a good shiur, there are lots of options for all kinds of levels of religious schools relatively close by, we have plenty of parks to hike for miles in, and we can drive for 35 minutes and see a broadway show. i love where i live (im not tied down and may move to any of those other hoods :)) and i just dont get why everyone hates on the NYC when it really is today's Bavel/Alexandria (for better or worse :)

Offline bigbadmoish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 30, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
I'll be honest I dont know if im posting right.. im a NYer and im looking into moving to Boca... heard a lot of nice things but want to get some clarity as to which area i would feel most comfortable in... any feedback would help

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 30, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
South Florida is Brooklyn South.
You'll feel comfortable anywhere ;)

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: December 30, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
1st of all who said I'm from bK... Happens to be right just wanted to know how you knew lol

2nd of all, looking to be in more a community matziv. Need to have a group that covers there hair etc but would enjoy a mix

Offline oiseli48

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 30, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »

South Florida is Brooklyn South.
You'll feel comfortable anywhere ;)

True, but there are different areas that have developed into certain styles, that you may choose from.

Bal Harbor is basically modern, Chabad lite style, Walnut Creek in Hollywood is more frum but chilled. Inverrary is more Chassidish and with it, while Coral Springs is more intense - bal tshuva style. Of course there is NMB which is more general, but not many people are looking to move there, as it isn't a nice area, there has been crime, housing is expensive, etc.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 30, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
Thank you. Couldn't help but notice the 1 place I actually asked about. Lol

Offline oiseli48

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 30, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »
Boca is one of the places in S Florida that I can't really sum up in a title, I haven't been there/heard enough about it yet :)

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 30, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
Ok thanks.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 30, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
1st of all who said I'm from bK... Happens to be right just wanted to know how you knew lol
The location listed under your name might have a little something to do with that...

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: December 30, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
 Wow.. Brain fart

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 30, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 31, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »
Looking for info. on the Denver community.  Particularly the west side, but I would like info on the community as a whole.
TIA.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 31, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »
Looking for info. on the Denver community.  Particularly the west side, but I would like info on the community as a whole.
TIA.
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=997.0

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: January 01, 2015, 12:06:41 AM »
looking for more relocating info vs. tourist info