Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 804401 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2020 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
So basically your response is that you don't believe the site I linked to?
That's exactly my response. Beachwood doesn't have a weather station, so those numbers are 100% fabricated if they claim to be from Beachwood.
My guess is that it's probably spitting out numbers from CLE/Hopkins station, which is way outside of the snowbelt. Beachwood numbers are closer to Chardon's than CLE's.

I've seen several feet of snow drop in a storm. They throw trucks at it every 5 minutes down every street and everyone's life continues as normal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ayman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #2021 on: January 25, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
+1

And two feet many times...honestly two feet in beachwood isn't scary. They really do a good job of clearing. On main roads they even have 3 trucks in a row drive by together to clear the whole road in one direction at once. Obviously NY is too big to take care of it the same way.
I saw 4 plows lined up next to each other moving down the street together to clear the snow. In NYC. #justsaying
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: January 25, 2016, 09:30:33 PM »
I'm sorry, but this snow situation in NYC is just ridiculous.

Streets not plowed 2 days later?

Majority of flights still being cancelled 2 days later?
This makes my 4th longhaul in a row to have irr-ops :P

CLE might get a lot of snow (normally at least, this year we've yet to get hit) but at least when it comes things get taken care of and life isn't interrupted.
Streets, sidewalks, and driveways all get plowed by others. Cars are parked in these crazy things called attached garages. And our airport doesn't shut down.
The reason is:
CLE is not in the snowbelt.

Beachwood is in it, though Chardon is the heart of it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2023 on: January 25, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »
The reason is:
Meh. Still tons of UA cancellations for tomorrow at EWR. EWR's plowing situation s being called an epic fail by many.
And what's the excuse for the city still being buried 48 hours later?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: January 25, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Remind me. What's beachwoods property tax?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:42 PM »
Remind me. What's beachwoods property tax?
About 1.9% IIRC

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:34 PM »
About 1.9% IIRC
Correct
Property tax in Beachwood is 1.9%, so $3,800/year on a $200K house.  City income tax is 2%. State income tax is 1%-6%.  My home insurance is $550/year and car insurance is $390/year.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 25, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »

That's exactly my response. Beachwood doesn't have a weather station, so those numbers are 100% fabricated if they claim to be from Beachwood.
My guess is that it's probably spitting out numbers from CLE/Hopkins station, which is way outside of the snowbelt. Beachwood numbers are closer to Chardon's than CLE's.

I've seen several feet of snow drop in a storm. They throw trucks at it every 5 minutes down every street and everyone's life continues as normal.

-1. You can have observations from trained spotters that are much more official than your recollection based on what could have easily been a drift. I'm not saying those numbers are official, just that the fact that there's no weather station there doesn't mean you should discount it.

Also, make up your mind if you're referring to CLE or BWD's ability to clear snow. It may have taken JFK 48 hours to return to near normal, but don't compare that to CLE, who's largest 24hr snowstorm was around 1/3 the size. And last I checked, BWD doesn't have an airport.

Also, lake effect snows tend to be easier to clear as overall conditions aren't as bad and they are more localized. Occasionally the squalls are spread out over days.

And I'm assuming you weren't in OH during the blizzard of 78, which shut down the state for a week

Offline aaa

• Forum Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: January 25, 2016, 09:52:37 PM »
-1. You can have observations from trained spotters that are much more official than your recollection based on what could have easily been a drift. I'm not saying those numbers are official, just that the fact that there's no weather station there doesn't mean you should discount it.

Also, make up your mind if you're referring to CLE or BWD's ability to clear snow. It may have taken JFK 48 hours to return to near normal, but don't compare that to CLE, who's largest 24hr snowstorm was around 1/3 the size. And last I checked, BWD doesn't have an airport.

Also, lake effect snows tend to be easier to clear as overall conditions aren't as bad and they are more localized. Occasionally the squalls are spread out over days.

And I'm assuming you weren't in OH during the blizzard of 78, which shut down the state for a week

haha actually was 38 years ago yesterday. tu bshvat

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 25, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
Meh. Still tons of UA cancellations for tomorrow at EWR. EWR's plowing situation s being called an epic fail by many.
And what's the excuse for the city still being buried 48 hours later?
Just talking about JFK and the 30 inches they got.
The city is always a problem and hard to plow because of all the parked cars.
But they somehow manage to get rid of the snow in midtown.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
JFK actually did a decent job at getting operations going.
My beef is with EWR :P

The rest of the argument is just nit-picky.
My point was simple, we get a lot of snow but it almost never affects my life vs the endless stream of facebook posts that seem to be an annual occurrence out of NYC. Lots of snow! Car buried! Street not plowed!

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: January 25, 2016, 10:06:08 PM »
My beef is with EWR

My point was simple, we get a lot of snow but it almost never affects my life vs the endless stream of facebook posts that seem to be an annual occurrence out of NYC. Lots of snow! Car buried! Street not plowed!

EWR is Jersey.

Cars buried is usually because they plowed your car in.

My $700,000 house is paying a little more than $1,000 property tax. So less money for plowing. (I know you have 13 reasons why its not so, but I'm still gonna say that)

I'll say it first actually. If I get it in before you do. Beachwood property tax goes mostly to schools. NYC only has a hard time plowing because cars are on the street while beachwood we park in out driveways and garages (which also means you have that driveway to shovel...). NYC should do better because they should expect it.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
My beef is with EWR :P

You're getting to the real crux of the matter. (Most) NY'ers like to complain more than others ;D

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: January 25, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »

I played around with that site a bit, and it does seem like the Beachwood numbers might have come from the CLE station. Cut the Chardon page shows a record of 23 inches, and that was 50+ years ago.
https://snowfall.weatherdb.com/l/4514/Chardon-Ohio

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:36 PM »
EWR is Jersey.

Cars buried is usually because they plowed your car in.

My $700,000 house is paying a little more than $1,000 property tax. So less money for plowing. (I know you have 13 reasons why its not so, but I'm still gonna say that)

I'll say it first actually. If I get it in before you do. Beachwood property tax goes mostly to schools. NYC only has a hard time plowing because cars are on the street while beachwood we park in out driveways and garages (which also means you have that driveway to shovel...). NYC should do better because they should expect it.
We can spin this from today until tomorrow.
Your $700K house would cost $100K here, etc.
You make more money in NYC than CLE.
You pay more income tax in NYC.
Our driveways get plowed for $200 for a year.
You pay less for kosher groceries.
UH gives private school tuition vouchers.

Ain l'dovor sof.
You're getting to the real crux of the matter. (Most) NY'ers like to complain more than others ;D
I don't buy that. Snow affects NY'ers life more, because it disrupts it more, it's fairly simple. Gotta dig out the car, deal with unplowed streets and shutdown stores and subways, etc. NY could do better, it just chooses to spend on other things.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: January 25, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »
I played around with that site a bit, and it does seem like the Beachwood numbers might have come from the CLE station. Cut the Chardon page shows a record of 23 inches, and that was 50+ years ago.
https://snowfall.weatherdb.com/l/4514/Chardon-Ohio
That website is rubbish. 35.9 avg annual snowfall in Chardon?
Here's actual data: http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2016/01/chardon_adds_29_inches_to_snow.html

Lake effect snow:
http://sabolscience.blogspot.com/2011/11/many-faces-of-lake-effect-snow.html
http://www.geography.hunter.cuny.edu/~tbw/wc.notes/8.air.masses/lake_effect_ex.htm

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: January 25, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
Listen, when your life revolves around this, something is wrong ;)

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »

Dan -  You can argue all you want that BWD/CHA would have been back to normal the next day. But none of them have ever had on record a 30" storm in one day storm. The continuous heavy snow for almost a full day made a huge impact on the difficulty of snow removal.

Also, as you mention, none of these cities have airports. I wonder what the largest 24hr snowfall at an airport is, but 24-31 inches probably ranks near the top. I saw pictures of drifts over the wings at JFK.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:40 PM »

Listen, when your life revolves around this, something is wrong ;)

That's urban living for you anywhere when a snowstorm hits. Not just NYC.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: January 25, 2016, 11:27:03 PM »
That's urban living for you anywhere when a snowstorm hits. Not just NYC.
+1, was tempted to search for the many identical photos from Boston last year.