Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788457 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2740 on: December 26, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
Phew, good thing I emailed instead of calling ;)
Dumb N00B
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 26, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »
Dumb N00B

Dude, this isn’t a mistake fare...it’s actual tax law, everyone totally should get all the correct info before they make certain investments and tie up money.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: December 27, 2017, 02:00:15 AM »
Dude, this isn’t a mistake fare...it’s actual tax law, everyone totally should get all the correct info before they make certain investments and tie up money.
I think he was tongue in cheek. But tax law is more nebulous than that, which is why you call your accountant with questions, and not the IRS. same principle should apply here

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »
I think he was tongue in cheek. But tax law is more nebulous than that, which is why you call your accountant with questions, and not the IRS. same principle should apply here

You're joking right?

What about all those people who don't have an accountant? And what do you think the accountants are doing? See the other thread where CPA did the same.

We're not talking about some obscure 'mistake' here. Vanguard, who runs the plan, is not just gonna leave it all in doubt and deal with the consequences later. I can guarantee you they thought about this well in advance of its passage, and were going to be discussing it with the state no matter what.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:14:37 AM by skyguy918 »

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
You're joking right?

What about all those people who don't have an accountant. And what do you think the accountants are doing? See the other thread where CPA did the same.

We're not talking about some obscure 'mistake' here. Vanguard, who runs the plan, is not just gonna leave it all in doubt and deal with the consequences later. I can guarantee you they thought about this well in advance if its passage, and were going to be discussing it with the state no matter what.
Of course. I was making a general statement that often in tax law there is no yes or no clear answer

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: December 27, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
Wind chill in Fairbanks Alaska 0°
Wind chill in Cleveland, - 3°
Wind chill in Los Angeles, 78°

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: December 27, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
Wind chill in Fairbanks Alaska 0°
Wind chill in Cleveland, - 3°
Wind chill in Los Angeles, 78°
Yeah, I was sweating walking around today. Was quite warm in the sun.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2747 on: January 09, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »
Ok i am dying here. i need a place to live where there is a growing number of normal early millenial modox (with yeshivish leanings) families that is a good commute (under 1 hour) to downtown Manhattan. Needs to have decent housing options (with backyards) near shuls and schools at prices that are not astronomical (i.e. excluding flatbush, if there are millennial families there). is there really nothing?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 09, 2018, 05:00:22 PM »
Ok i am dying here. i need a place to live where there is a growing number of normal early millenial modox (with yeshivish leanings) families that is a good commute (under 1 hour) to downtown Manhattan. Needs to have decent housing options (with backyards) near shuls and schools at prices that are not astronomical (i.e. excluding flatbush, if there are millennial families there). is there really nothing?
North Woodmere
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2749 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »
Nothing in Passaic/Clifton?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:37 PM »
Elizabeth/Hillside?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 09, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
Where are you dying?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: January 09, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »

How close to schools do you need to be?
What is considered "prices that are not astronomical"?
Lastly, does commute to downtown need to be  specifically via mass transit over car or vice versa  or doesnt matter?

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2753 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
Wow, thanks so much for the quick responses! surprised no Cleveland suggestions  ;D

North Woodmere
Too far (approx 1.5 hour commute to battery park, plus must take into account need to have second car to drive to closest station etc) also, LIRR commute is pretty expensive.

Nothing in Passaic/Clifton?
somewhat far (approx 1.2 hour commute to battery park), though not as costly as N Woodmere. also didnt get a great vibe for modox peeps when i visited (more of a frummer/black hat feel it seemed).

Elizabeth/Hillside?
possibility, but is there a growing modox community?

Where are you dying?
I am not actually dying, just a lil sad that there arent better options in the tri-state area when i take a discerning gaze at the relevant communities.
I live in Willowbrook, Staten Island. I have a great commute to downtown (35/40 minutes on one express bus for $6.50 after metrocard bonuses), but modox community is dying and schools are weak (esp the lack of any high school options for girls on island).

How close to schools do you need to be?
What is considered "prices that are not astronomical"?
Lastly, does commute to downtown need to be  specifically via mass transit over car or vice versa  or doesnt matter?
I want a lot, but u would think an "in-town" area like NY would have a place with good schools in walking/short bus-ride distance, with 4br houses with basements (for guests) and backyards around $1m.
i would drive if it would save time but that seems unlikely. Was toying with living in 5 towns, getting an electric car and driving in the HOV lane on the LIE but not sure how fast that really is...

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: January 09, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
How about Linden? Think there is a growing, young Modox community there. Near Elizabeth, so all amenities from there. Don't know if they have large homes, though. Mostly small homes, around $200k, though, with the crazy NJ property taxes.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
Wow, thanks so much for the quick responses! surprised no Cleveland suggestions  ;D
 Too far (approx 1.5 hour commute to battery park, plus must take into account need to have second car to drive to closest station etc) also, LIRR commute is pretty expensive.
 somewhat far (approx 1.2 hour commute to battery park), though not as costly as N Woodmere. also didnt get a great vibe for modox peeps when i visited (more of a frummer/black hat feel it seemed).
 I am not actually dying, just a lil sad that there arent better options in the tri-state area when i take a discerning gaze at the relevant communities.
I live in Willowbrook, Staten Island. I have a great commute to downtown (35/40 minutes on one express bus for $6.50 after metrocard bonuses), but modox community is dying and schools are weak (esp the lack of any high school options for girls on island).
 I want a lot, but u would think an "in-town" area like NY would have a place with good schools in walking/short bus-ride distance, with 4br houses with basements (for guests) and backyards around $1m.
i would drive if it would save time but that seems unlikely. Was toying with living in 5 towns, getting an electric car and driving in the HOV lane on the LIE but not sure how fast that really is...
Seems to me that your biggest problem is that there aren't that many places with good commute times to downtown.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2756 on: January 09, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »
Way too many refugees moving in over the past 2 years. Don't need the marketing anymore.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: January 09, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »

Oy, you shouldn't need to spend $1m for that. If you would be willing to compromise  a little on some of those requirements.
I paid less than half of that, I have 4 bedrooms, finished basement with a guest suite, over a 1/4 acre property. But I'm not walking distance to schools. We also wouldnt consider our community a mo communtiy although we are very welcoming to all people.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2758 on: January 09, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
Why don't you take some time to make a list of all your requirements (it will be longer than your post, as for example normal early millenial modox with Yeshivish leanings are 4 requirements that need to be listed separately) and then start prioritizing your requirements. If, for example, you'd be open to moving to a different employer (or office of same employer) that might open totally different options for you, as you won't be anchored down to the downtown Manhattan access.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #2759 on: January 09, 2018, 07:24:31 PM »

Just curious if the gentrification of the neighborhood with a few hundred and growing Chassidish families from Borough Park is bothering some old-timers.