Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788788 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
I gotta say, you make CLE sound quite tempting. although this:
And I went to litvisher school.  I saw the rabbeim joke excitedly when the Rebbe died.
I was harassed for being a lubavitcher by both students and rabbeim alike, told how the only torah true derech would be to go to a litvisher yeshiva.  How chabad is the closest religion to judaism, etc, etc.
(and your other posts in the same vain) definitely puts quite a damper on that idea...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
Indeed.  But the education I received was more advanced than what Pittsburgh offers.

Cbs and other younger Clevelanders say that has died down since my times.  Who knows?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
Good luck with that.
When you find it please let me know :)

im not Chabad, and I know it wasn't on your list, but the montreal Chabad community might fit the bill. Except the cheap housing part
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
In the Beachwood community people live on the University Heights side or the Beachwood side of Green road, the dividing street on which the shuls are located.

UH houses run from $75K-$200K.
Beachwood houses run anywhere from $150K-$700K.
so why cheaper than pitts?
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
Because for Squirrel hill houses you can buy in UH. Keep in mind the tax differences. I believe UH and Pitts are about the same Beachwood being the lowest. I could be wrong. But down murray where the new community is moving is very cheap.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »
There are no $150K houses in Sq. Hill.  Baseline is $200K and even then you're buying a 150 year old dump. 
My bro-in-law bought a place for ~$300K IIRC in Sq. Hill and had to pour in $$$$$ to just partially update it and add central AC/Heat. 
There are no houses in Beachwood or UH without central AC/Heat.

Also Beachwood is a premium city with premium services, low taxes, top-notch schools, etc.  Not something that Sq. Hill offers.  There's a premium for that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline WhyAich

• View Profile
The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
There are no $150K houses in Sq. Hill.  Baseline is $200K and even then you're buying a 150 year old dump. 
My bro-in-law bought a place for ~$300K IIRC in Sq. Hill and had to pour in $$$$$ to just partially update it and add central AC/Heat. 
There are no houses in Beachwood or UH without central AC/Heat.

Also Beachwood is a premium city with premium services, low taxes, top-notch schools, etc.  Not something that Sq. Hill offers.  There's a premium for that.
I hear. The thing is no one is moving to UH I understand.  so its beachwood or squirrel hill. Thanks for info

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
The thing is no one is moving to UH I understand.
-1. Have multiple friends who have bought and who rent in UH.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
Added Brooklyn, Far Rockaway and Pitts to the wiki

Offline WhyAich

• View Profile
The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
If anyone would like a place to stay for shabbos while checking out CLE I'd be happy to host.  Just give me a couple days heads-up.

That's a generous offer.

I'm guessing you might have alot of people coming to "check out" CLE, to get to spend time with Dan.
#allthebigsecretsareingeneraldiscussion:)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »

I'm guessing you might have alot of people coming to "check out" CLE, to get to spend time with Dan.
#allthebigsecretsareingeneraldiscussion:)
Paging Centurion? :P

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:42 PM »
I hear. The thing is no one is moving to UH I understand.  so its beachwood or squirrel hill. Thanks for info
-1..... I just bought a house in UH

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »
Noone is moving to Cleveland Heights is what you prob were referring to. The main dif between Beachwood and UH is taxes and avg age of house. As far as community they share shuls and could be two minutes from each other. I heard from the rumor mill that Cleveland grew by about 60 families this past summer, about 5 came to Cleveland Heights, the others probably even, but ask someone else the breakdown between UH and Beachwood. Besides from Cleveland, if you lived under a mile from your friend it would be considered close. For many people it comes down to where they find a nicer house.

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2013, 01:55:03 AM »
My wife and I talk about moving to CLE once in a while. (We come pretty often to visit relatives.)

From a visitors POV I'd like to point out some pros and cons that I've noticed.

First, Dan, you keep talking about the high crime rate in NY and the peacefulness in CLE, but when we've ventured just a few blocks from the Jewish neighborhoods we found ourselves in very unpleasant areas. Judging by the 'residents' I would not want to find myself there anytime - armed. However driving in the opposite direction lands you in some of the most beautiful shopping areas I've ever seen - and that includes areas like Miami, New York and L.A. The malls are stunning which is a surprise because most of the neighborhoods I've seen have small old homes. I guess they save their money for buying clothes.

The times I've been there (spring, summer, fall) the weather was beautiful but it's the winter that scares me.

I think what's really keeping me away is the idea of being so far away from all the activity that makes up the vibrant, buzzing, northeast communities. Just things like going out for dinner at a nice restaurant in Manhattan or visiting relatives nearby. It would be so strange to be so far away.

Another nice aspect is the cleanliness. There is barely a paper bag to found in the street. Hard to imagine, but really makes the city. I also love the 'oldness'. So many houses have these enormous oak trees on the front lawn and people seem to really care about their landscaping but not in a pretentious way. Older houses also have a kind of charm; they all seem unique in some way unlike the cookie cutter developments seen all over Monsey/Lakewood etc.

I'll try to think of more things. We are really looking for an easygoing place to raise children without the rat race mentality or the crushing hyperstress that so many people seem to be living under.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2013, 01:59:44 AM »
First, Dan, you keep talking about the high crime rate in NY and the peacefulness in CLE, but when we've ventured just a few blocks from the Jewish neighborhoods we found ourselves in very unpleasant areas. Judging by the 'residents' I would not want to find myself there anytime - armed. However driving in the opposite direction lands you in some of the most beautiful shopping areas I've ever seen - and that includes areas like Miami, New York and L.A. The malls are stunning which is a surprise because most of the neighborhoods I've seen have small old homes. I guess they save their money for buying clothes.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your relatives live in the old neighborhood of Cleveland Heights?
Because I can walk for many blocks in any direction from my house and it's 100% safe.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your relatives live in the old neighborhood of Cleveland Heights?
Because I can walk for many blocks in any direction from my house and it's 100% safe.
Its not a limb. Without a doubt he is talking about Cleveland heights.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »
You have no crime in your neighborhood?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
None that I've ever heard of or experienced.  And people here would talk if that changed.

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:55 AM »

Was in the Beachwood softball league, every person on my team was jewish! Coincidence, yes. Would I believe it to be just about 100% safe, I guess so. There's enough action for them in Cleveland Heights and East side, which is closer to home for them. (about 5 miles away)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »
None that I've ever heard of or experienced.  And people here would talk if that changed.
The numbers for your area say different. Actually by the numbers where I live is safer. My guess is you are talking about a small concentrated area?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"