Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788550 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #520 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
right for the most part. but what about the guy who says " i got a deal on my g37x for 250 a month" (there actually was such a deal) then it cost about what a camry cost. u could argue that, even so, if u want to drive a luxury car , u gotta pay up. Some may argue though that if u fly biz/first even with points or a deal, if u want to live that luxury life u gotta pay up. And that is why most schools i know of base tuition scholarships of tax returns, which in ny is pointless bec.  everyone has some off the books income
At least in CLE they do ask what kind of cars you drive if you apply for a scholarship.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #521 on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
At least in CLE they do ask what kind of cars you drive if you apply for a scholarship.
If you got a good deal on a luxury car I'm sure they'll understand. No? What if your parents give you the Mercedes, but that's it? Can I assume they use common sense?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #522 on: April 09, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
If you got a good deal on a luxury car I'm sure they'll understand. No? What if your parents give you the Mercedes, but that's it? Can I assume they use common sense?
If your parents can afford to give you a merc it follows that they can also afford to help finance your kids education...

Frankly I have no idea how those decisions work, I just know they ask.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
If your parents can afford to give you a merc it follows that they can also afford to help finance your kids education...

Frankly I have no idea how those decisions work, I just know they ask.
extra car =/= extra cash. But wtvr I don't have either.

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
I have a friend who lives there. Want his contact info?
sure!
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
Really ought to be simple if I were running the school. Drive an Acura/BMW/Caddy/Inifiniti/Lexus/Mercedes, etc=pay full tuition regardless of what you earn.
I think that's way oversimplifying it.
For example, (besides what others have mentioned above,) if you're talking about deciding whether somebody should be paying lets say 5 or 10 grand, I would tend to agree with you. (As a general guideline not an absolute rule. It is possible for somebody to have a fancy car and not have a cent to their name)
Once you're talking about multiple kids and large amounts of money it's a whole different story. You cant say that because somebody is splurging and spending an extra couple of hundred bucks a month on a car it means he can afford to pay 100k/year in tuition.

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:31 AM »
Definitely. You feel like you can't go out to dinner without getting dressed up down South. Thornhill is much more chilled out
Bathurst and Lawrence still has a quite yeshivish mix. Bathurst and Eglinton is where it gets very trendy...IMHO
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:25:03 AM by yossi4k »

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:51 AM »
I tell all my single friends to marry CLE girls.
Unquestionably the best move of my life
That's cuz it's a lot easier to attend a CLE DO ;)

I know a lot of people that there in-laws/parents give them certain things that would be considered way over their budget.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2013, 01:41:04 AM »
I know a lot of people that there in-laws/parents give them certain things that would be considered way over their budget.
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It's sad that even some people from the previous generation have screwed up priorities.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:54 PM »
Its not that bad in oak park I live in oak park and when I'm convincing someone not to move here I wouldn't bring up safety because its not like Detroit there is no action here
No action...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21751868/man-chases-captures-suspect-after-purse-snatching-in-southfield?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8670091#.UWVzxyTh_eM.facebook

"The manager at One Stop Kosher Food Mart said last week the same guy snatched another purse, that time with an accomplice."

Offline Steven

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Armadillo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 14, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
The main community (Bathurst and Lawrence) happens to be very gashmi and five Townsy but we won't be living there
Bathurst and Lawrence still has a quite yeshivish mix.
+1
I grew up in that neighborhood. There are definitely some pockets of young couples like Ergel is talking about, plus a bunch of younger guys who made it, but overall the core is quite yeshivish. It's a mix of older families, kollel couples, former kollel couples, some baalei tshuva, some MO etc.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 15, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

I saw something in a sefer once that could be a potential justification. It was on hilchos maaser ksafim, and it was going through business expenses that could be deducted before taking maaser. Basically it said that if someone has a fancy car because they need it to attract clients, or to be able to do business with certain types of people, the excess cost over a regular car could potentially be deducted from the cheshbon hamaaser.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 15, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »
I saw something in a sefer once that could be a potential justification. It was on hilchos maaser ksafim, and it was going through business expenses that could be deducted before taking maaser. Basically it said that if someone has a fancy car because they need it to attract clients, or to be able to do business with certain types of people, the excess cost over a regular car could potentially be deducted from the cheshbon hamaaser.
Are you trying to be naïve? This may be true for a select few, but not an entire community....

It is an interesting discussion whether or not driving a fancy car will  give you an edge in certain industries.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
Are you trying to be naïve? This may be true for a select few, but not an entire community....

It is an interesting discussion whether or not driving a fancy car will  give you an edge in certain industries.

What can I say, I listened to a shiur about dan l'kaf zechus on the way in to work  ;D

Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone (more likely hardly anyone), just thought it was an interesting point.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
I know this was mentioned already regarding NMB, but no state income tax is a big plus in Dallas and Houston. From what I've heard the job market in both is really good too, as is the housing market. I don't know much else about them, just what I've heard from a few friends looking into moving there.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #536 on: April 15, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
I know this was mentioned already regarding NMB, but no state income tax is a big plus in Dallas and Houston. From what I've heard the job market in both is really good too, as is the housing market. I don't know much else about them, just what I've heard from a few friends looking into moving there.
No state income taxes, means no EIC, a minus to many :D
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 15, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
No state income taxes, means no EIC, a minus to many :D
the state eic is only a small part compared to the federal eic

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 15, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
No state tax is great, but what are the schools and communities like? Restaurants?
I know in Houston at least the weather can be pretty miserable for much of the year.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
the state eic is only a small part compared to the federal eic
Still not small  ;)
Love me or hate me. I still love you.