Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 797926 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Re: Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #580 on: July 01, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
Hmmm, a game you say? Can I play? Me likeeyyy games :D

Not this game.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 01, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
Dan can you move that post to the thread in js?
I think everyone following that thread would get a good laugh.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #582 on: July 01, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
At any rate, to clarify a few things.

-I don't care if people drive fancy cars.  If you can afford it then good on you!  But I don't want to hear from people with a fancy car about how they're broke but they feel like they need to keep up with the Schwartzes or whatever other reason they would rather drive a fancy car rather than pay full tuition or save for a down payment on owing a house. 
If you have the miles then enjoy them, isn't that what they're for?  If you have the money then it's your privilege to live large and hopefully give large as well.

-I have nothing against any communities.  I'm not saying where I live is perfect, every place on Earth has its share or pros and cons and only a fool would deny that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #583 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
Looking to move out of our 1BR in Crown Heights.

We're looking for a 3BR 2BA. Most such units in Crown Heights  appear to be priced above $2500, with a few on the outskirts of the Jewish community pricing in at about 2000 per month.  Some people told us to check out Kew Garden Hills. Are the prices any better there? It's pretty important to us to find a place with a reasonable commute to Grand Central.

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
Right now I'm looking for a place to live in the USA that's not NY or Cali. I hope to visit Houston, Coral Springs and the suburbs of Philly to check them out over the summer. (I know, not the best time to go but I can't travel as easily after the summer).
I haven't noticed anything on those cities in this thread, is there anyone here who has any info? Asking specifically about the Chabad communities.
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #585 on: July 01, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »

We're looking for a 3BR 2BA. Most such units in Crown Heights  appear to be priced above $2500, with a few on the outskirts of the Jewish community pricing in at about 2000 per month.  Some people told us to check out Kew Garden Hills. Are the prices any better there? It's pretty important to us to find a place with a reasonable commute to Grand Central.
What about Teaneck? Monsey too far of a commute?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Right now I'm looking for a place to live in the USA that's not NY or Cali. I hope to visit Houston, Coral Springs and the suburbs of Philly to check them out over the summer. (I know, not the best time to go but I can't travel as easily after the summer).
I haven't noticed anything on those cities in this thread, is there anyone here who has any info? Asking specifically about the Chabad communities.
What do you do for a living?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #587 on: July 01, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »

If you choose KHG, you'll have to take a bus to a train every day to get to GC.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #588 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
I'm don't know much about the Lubavitch community, but maybe check out Elizabeth
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
If you choose KHG, you'll have to take a bus to a train every day to get to GC.
or just an express bus from what I understand, reading the QM1 and QM5 schedule. This is definitely an advantage of Crown Heights where both the 5 and 4 are within 15 minutes walk with express trains to Manhattan every few minutes in the mornings.

Offline RJ898

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »
What do you do for a living?
I film and edit video. Can be done anywhere.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 01, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
Houston and Coral Springs I get if you want warm weather.
But Philly? Doesn't that open up pretty much anywhere in the country? PIT? ORD? CLE? MKE? BWI? etc,

Offline RJ898

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
Each one of those places have their own issues, I don't like the crime in Chicago, pittsburgh is boring and in the middle of nowhere. I'm looking for a place with chabad schools and a decent size chabad community.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 01, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
My brother in law is moving to Coral Springs in 3 weeks. He's done a lot of research on it. PM me and I can put you in touch with him. He's Chabad.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »
Each one of those places have their own issues, I don't like the crime in Chicago, pittsburgh is boring and in the middle of nowhere. I'm looking for a place with chabad schools and a decent size chabad community.

If Pittsburgh is the middle of nowhere then where is Huston?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #595 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »

Definitely not looking to buy? There are relatively cheap homes 3 blocks across Eastern parkway on Sterling. It is right near a large assistant living center which adds a feeling and reality of better security on that block.

I know a guy from Cleveland who bought there relatively recently, if you are interested at all.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline RJ898

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:20 PM »
My brother in law is moving to Coral Springs in 3 weeks. He's done a lot of research on it. PM me and I can put you in touch with him. He's Chabad.
thanks, I have a friend who lives there already!

Offline RJ898

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
If Pittsburgh is the middle of nowhere then where is Huston?
easy to fly to Hawaii :)
Seriously, zero state income tax (like Florida), when it's not humid, it's really nice, growing economy so easy to find work if things don't work out with my business, and good economy + good public schools which means the people on the street are normal...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #598 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
easy to fly to Hawaii :)
Seriously, zero state income tax (like Florida), when it's not humid, it's really nice, growing economy so easy to find work if things don't work out with my business, and good economy + good public schools which means the people on the street are normal...
You didn't mention state income tax. That seems to be the strongest argument for you to mover to TX or FL.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
You didn't mention state income tax. That seems to be the strongest argument for you to mover to TX or FL.
Yup, though the humidity is tougher for me to deal with than the snow.

Anyway if you'd like to check out Beachwood you're more than welcome to stay by me.  You're only 4,500 Avios away from being back in the middle of somewhere :D
Starting next year small businesses will get a massive state income tax cut though I'll admit 0% sure is enticing.
If a place like CA with an amazing climate had 0% I'd probably be living there.