Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788498 times)

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #700 on: September 11, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
I don't know what I hate more, humidity or freezing and snow. I won't be happy weather-wise anywhere other then California but my wife is 100% against it and it's probably the only place more expensive then NY...
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #701 on: September 11, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
I don't know how you guys put up with the summer heat.
I was in FLL 2 weeks ago and could barely move outside it was so hot.  Tried putting on sunglasses but the humidity is so high that they just fogged up instantly.  And nighttime gives no reprieve.

Though I'm sure FL people think the same of people living in the winter up north.  Though I'd answer at least I can get an awesome down coat for walking around outside and be toasty but as frum jews we can't just walk around half naked in the summer...whereas the summers in CLE are just so nice.

I can definitely see myself being a snowbird one day though.
You're aware I'm barely 10% of your size?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
I won't be happy weather-wise anywhere other then California
Bingo.  Such good weather.
And such bad traffic, taxes, housing prices, cost of living, pollution, and general pritzus everywhere you look.

I don't know what I hate more, humidity or freezing and snow.
Tough call. 
NYC/PHL have very hot humid summers so less of a tough call there.
But CLE/PIT/etc have nice mild summers with very pleasent weather.  To trade that for a steambath would be hard.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »
You're aware I'm barely 10% of your size?
Huh?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »
as soon as the docs let my wife fly again, I'll be round the corner checking out coral springs
Let me know when you come.
I don't know how you guys put up with the summer heat.
I was in FLL 2 weeks ago and could barely move outside it was so hot.  Tried putting on sunglasses but the humidity is so high that they just fogged up instantly.  And nighttime gives no reprieve.

Though I'm sure FL people think the same of people living in the winter up north.  Though I'd answer at least I can get an awesome down coat for walking around outside and be toasty but as frum jews we can't just walk around half naked in the summer...whereas the summers in CLE are just so nice.

I can definitely see myself being a snowbird one day though.
IMHO, it's bad but not unbearably so. It's maybe a bit hotter than a hot day in NYC in August, but it lasts for a few months. I stopped wearing glasses outside because of the fog :D
All other things equal, I think 4 months of brutal heat are better than 4 months of brutal cold. And no SAD.

Online jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 11, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »
True true.
But don't they make up for that elsewhere?
High property tax rates but no higher than NY/NJ/CT.
Overall, FL has the fifth lowest tax burden in the country. http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=29

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 11, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
IMHO, it's bad but not unbearably so. It's maybe a bit hotter than a hot day in NYC in August, but it lasts for a few months.
That's unbearable in my book :'(

I stopped wearing glasses outside because of the fog :D
Really bad idea for your long-term eye health.

All other things equal, I think 4 months of brutal heat are better than 4 months of brutal cold.
It's an interesting debate, definitely hear both sides.  If we could walk around town in beachwear it would be less of a debate, but that's not an option for us.  But a toasty knee length LL Bean coat and a paid of cozy uggs and winter's bite isn't all that bad.   The problem most people have is they don't dress warm enough.  Though that's easier in a place where everyone drives and there's ample parking near everything.

As I said, I'd love to be a snowbird.  Just doesn't really work with kids.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
High property tax rates but no higher than NY/NJ/CT.
Overall, FL has the fifth lowest tax burden in the country. http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=29
"Property taxes in Florida are some of the highest in the country"
How much are they for an average home?

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »
Huh?
Much easier to tolerate heat.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Much easier to tolerate heat.
You weigh 19.5 pounds?

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
Whenever I walk around in the heat and humidity of NY I think: this is unlivable, bring me winter. Winter comes around and I'm praying for the sun. It's true that you can dress warm but you have to add 10 minuted of bundling up everywhere you go (especially with kids). Florida weather is supposedly amazing for 7-8 months a year, is there anyone here that can back up or dispute?
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Online jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 11, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »
Really bad idea for your long-term eye health.
That's why I wear my contacts instead  ::)
It's an interesting debate, definitely hear both sides.  If we could walk around town in beachwear it would be less of a debate, but that's not an option for us.  But a toasty knee length LL Bean coat and a paid of cozy uggs and winter's bite isn't all that bad.   The problem most people have is they don't dress warm enough.  Though that's easier in a place where everyone drives and there's ample parking near everything.

As I said, I'd love to be a snowbird.  Just doesn't really work with kids.
T/Polo shirt + linen or cotton pants/shorts works pretty well. Do you consider that beachwear?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #713 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »
BTW Cedar Point is on a great beach in Sandusky with awesome offshore islands to go to.  And there's a massive Sandusky indoor waterpark resort on groupon now. Largest in the country.
#2MonthsLeft ;)

Let me confer with the boss. And no, I don't mean the person who signs the paychecks  ;D
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
Whenever I walk around in the heat and humidity of NY I think: this is unlivable, bring me winter. Winter comes around and I'm praying for the sun. It's true that you can dress warm but you have to add 10 minuted of bundling up everywhere you go (especially with kids). Florida weather is supposedly amazing for 7-8 months a year, is there anyone here that can back up or dispute?
There are other places besides FL and NY...
NY has brutal summers and winters.  There are plenty of places that are very pleasant for half of the year.

We were in MIA in late September and it was still miserable. My wife, who is half my size, didn't want to be outdoors at all due to the oppressive heat and humidity.  So I don't think it's possible that 8 months are all that great...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
That's why I wear my contacts instead  ::)
Talking about sunglasses.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 11, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I meant salt water... ya know, real water. With waves :)
Got news for ya. There are waves. People even come here to surf!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 11, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
That IS news... who woulda think you could surf... on a lake!  :o

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 11, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
Let me confer with the boss. And no, I don't mean the person who signs the paychecks  ;D
You can make a nice mini-trip out of it.  Find a nice cruise to check out the islands, really cool places to see.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
So, NY is brutal in both seasons, MIA is brutal in summer, CLE is brutal in winter...

MIA has low taxes, NJ has high taxes, and CLE is somewhere in the middle?

NYC has great access to international flights, MIA less so, and CLE even less than that.

TX has no state income tax, but has hot summers, MEM has cheap homes but is humid in summer and lacks good flight options, while ATL is somewhere in the middle.

Can we create a top 5 list or something? I need to start thinking about this stuff. I refuse to pay $1MM+ for a nice house.

... but I also want good weather... and low taxes... and good access to flights ;D