Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788588 times)

Offline Gets

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #900 on: January 26, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
I spent a few years learning in Montreal. IMHO Beautiful place to visit but not a place to live

Offline philbenjoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #901 on: January 26, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
I spent a few years learning in Montreal. IMHO Beautiful place to visit but not a place to live
+1
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 26, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
Nope. South but not all the way south....in between.

Bathurst & Lawrence? 

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 27, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
Bathurst & Lawrence?
That's all the way south. I assume he means clanton park
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #904 on: January 27, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Staten Island (Willowbrook)

Pros:
- safe community, crime is virtually unheard of (notwithstanding white collar and one terrible homicide by a crazed husband).  You can sleep at night without every being awoken by sirens.
- Pretty good express bus service to downtown (35min) and midtown (50min) NYC, though little public transportation to brooklyn. New GPS tracking of buses makes it easy to not wait to long for a city bus. 15-minute drive to EWR airport.
- Housing is very cheap for NYC (less than $500k for a fixer-up detached home about 4000 sq ft plot 4br 3bath with nice backyard and about $380k for a move-in condition and quality semi (3br 2bath 3000sq ft plot).
- Parking is plentiful and no internal street traffic, though the staten island expressway can get really slow at peak times (but Islanders know the side streets which can help to an extent). 
- The streets are clean and everyone has their own garage.  There's no alternate side business and no parking meters.
- Low real estate taxes (about 2600 for a semi), much less than 5 towns, but need to pay NYC taxes. on bright side, decent snow services, and Con-Ed did a great job during Hurricane Sandy (only one planned 3 hour outage for most houses).
- More of an out-of-town feel than the rest of NYC, people are generally quite friendly and say good shabbos to each other with a smile. Much more accepting of different looks/dress than brooklyn/queens.
- Schools are decent and cheap, with JFS (modern), RJJ (frummer, but a good mix of MOs) and a small chabad + local nursery options.  i have personally been impressed with RJJ (considering the relatively low tuition) and JFS is a decent co-ed/modern option, plus there are transportation options to brooklyn for frummer or NJ for more modern. Tuition is cheaper than most places, but the quality/caliber of faculty is probably a notch down (not that i mind).
- lots of  trees and great parks and trails, and more parks (and a ferris wheel) coming in the future. great non-jewish store choices all within 5-10 minutes driving, such as trader joes, costco, target and the staten island mall in general. jersey gardens outlets about 15 minutes away.
- Has all basic kosher needs, though many come at a small $premium to brooklyn, very good and quality butcher (Payless), good takeout (kosher island), servicable bakery (Famous), great pizza and more (Dairy Palace), cholov yisroel ice cream/breakfast and more (scoops), Holy Schnitzel (schnitzel/salads) and Chopshtix (chinese/fried chicken) with free delivery, Cafe J at the JCC (broad from deli to burgers etc.). kosher (Chalav stam) carvel and dunkin donuts.
- Eruv and wide variety of shuls/people, with growing kollel (which some consider a con) at R Pollack's Shul (chassidish/sfard frummer feel), large Young israel with all types (including a classic minyan, modern sfard minyan, a teen minyan and bi-monthly young married minyan), small Agudah with R Moshe Meir Weiss, several edus mizrach type shuls and a classic chabad shul, cheder and yeshiva. hashkama minyan, faster minyans etc.
- great youth services at young israel like arranged babysitting on RH/YK so wives can daven, and regular shabbos groups during shachris/mussaf and also in afternoon (combined with regular groups, kids can be out with friends from 2:30-6pm).

Cons:
- The majority of the community came 25-30+ years ago and is older and slowly dying out/moving to Israel/Florida/Lakewood etc. to be with kids. fear that the handful of new young families that take the leap and buy a house each year won't grow at the rate the old families leave/die, and cause the limited local services to dwindle.
- NY weather.
- The local kosher restaurant scene is fairly dismal (and nothing near hi-class), and the lack of one all-in-one kosher grocery store like a Gourmet Glatt is a big negative for those who dont want to go to one place for bakery, takeout and regular kosher groceries.  Some say Staten will never be able to support such a local store since so many just buy in brooklyn (or get it delivered). on the plus side, brooklyn and downtown ny can be a 20 minute drive if you want to go out somewhere nice, or Teaneck is about 40mins.
- Houses are still relatively expensive vs out of town, and most options are High-Ranches, which some (like me) dont like too much. Virtually no classic apartment buildings, so young crowd is limited to basement apartments and a few other choices, and SI can never be a KGH or other hi-rental zone full of young married couples.
- Full NYC taxes, and must cross bridges (with some discounts) to get off the island.
- Very Limited high school options. Boys: (small low-priced chofetz chaim on island for boys, plus Yeshiva of Staten Island and other more hardcore frum yeshivos (with little general studies). JEC is more modern local choice in NJ, and some frum send their kids to Philly/Ner yisroel etc.  Girls: nothing. Bruriah in NJ for more modern, or some shlep to Manhattan, and Prospect park for frumer in Brooklyn.
- Some feel the local yeshivos are subpar, and run at an operating loss requiring significant fundraising.
- Need to drive/bike to get groceries/food etc. Suburban zoning sets the homes away from virtually all shopping/restaurants.
- will always be made fun of b/c there used to be a huge dump on the island (could be seen from space).
- Traffic on summer sundays from NJ and from brooklyn on friday afternoons in winter can be really slow on local Expressway.
- Was really built by courageous and powerful characters who have moved on, and there is no real leader of the community anymore.
- Very republican-heavy with a strong conservative tilt (for those who care about politics).

happy to take questions

Offline bluiemonster1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 27, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
Shoutout to denver! This quote is from La La Anthony (Carmelo's wife) about where he moght play in the future:
"Listen, I used to live in Denver with him. If I can live in Denver, I can live anywhere. I just want him to be happy."

Hahahahahahaha ;D
No one ever said this about Minneapolis!   8)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #906 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »
Staten Island (Willowbrook)

Pros:
- safe community, crime is virtually unheard of (notwithstanding white collar and one terrible homicide by a crazed husband).  You can sleep at night without every being awoken by sirens.
- Pretty good express bus service to downtown (35min) and midtown (50min) NYC, though little public transportation to brooklyn. New GPS tracking of buses makes it easy to not wait to long for a city bus. 15-minute drive to EWR airport.
- Housing is very cheap for NYC (less than $500k for a fixer-up detached home about 4000 sq ft plot 4br 3bath with nice backyard and about $380k for a move-in condition and quality semi (3br 2bath 3000sq ft plot).
- Parking is plentiful and no internal street traffic, though the staten island expressway can get really slow at peak times (but Islanders know the side streets which can help to an extent). 
- The streets are clean and everyone has their own garage.  There's no alternate side business and no parking meters.
- Low real estate taxes (about 2600 for a semi), much less than 5 towns, but need to pay NYC taxes. on bright side, decent snow services, and Con-Ed did a great job during Hurricane Sandy (only one planned 3 hour outage for most houses).
- More of an out-of-town feel than the rest of NYC, people are generally quite friendly and say good shabbos to each other with a smile. Much more accepting of different looks/dress than brooklyn/queens.
- Schools are decent and cheap, with JFS (modern), RJJ (frummer, but a good mix of MOs) and a small chabad + local nursery options.  i have personally been impressed with RJJ (considering the relatively low tuition) and JFS is a decent co-ed/modern option, plus there are transportation options to brooklyn for frummer or NJ for more modern. Tuition is cheaper than most places, but the quality/caliber of faculty is probably a notch down (not that i mind).
- lots of  trees and great parks and trails, and more parks (and a ferris wheel) coming in the future. great non-jewish store choices all within 5-10 minutes driving, such as trader joes, costco, target and the staten island mall in general. jersey gardens outlets about 15 minutes away.
- Has all basic kosher needs, though many come at a small $premium to brooklyn, very good and quality butcher (Payless), good takeout (kosher island), servicable bakery (Famous), great pizza and more (Dairy Palace), cholov yisroel ice cream/breakfast and more (scoops), Holy Schnitzel (schnitzel/salads) and Chopshtix (chinese/fried chicken) with free delivery, Cafe J at the JCC (broad from deli to burgers etc.). kosher (Chalav stam) carvel and dunkin donuts.
- Eruv and wide variety of shuls/people, with growing kollel (which some consider a con) at R Pollack's Shul (chassidish/sfard frummer feel), large Young israel with all types (including a classic minyan, modern sfard minyan, a teen minyan and bi-monthly young married minyan), small Agudah with R Moshe Meir Weiss, several edus mizrach type shuls and a classic chabad shul, cheder and yeshiva. hashkama minyan, faster minyans etc.
- great youth services at young israel like arranged babysitting on RH/YK so wives can daven, and regular shabbos groups during shachris/mussaf and also in afternoon (combined with regular groups, kids can be out with friends from 2:30-6pm).

Cons:
- The majority of the community came 25-30+ years ago and is older and slowly dying out/moving to Israel/Florida/Lakewood etc. to be with kids. fear that the handful of new young families that take the leap and buy a house each year won't grow at the rate the old families leave/die, and cause the limited local services to dwindle.
- NY weather.
- The local kosher restaurant scene is fairly dismal (and nothing near hi-class), and the lack of one all-in-one kosher grocery store like a Gourmet Glatt is a big negative for those who dont want to go to one place for bakery, takeout and regular kosher groceries.  Some say Staten will never be able to support such a local store since so many just buy in brooklyn (or get it delivered). on the plus side, brooklyn and downtown ny can be a 20 minute drive if you want to go out somewhere nice, or Teaneck is about 40mins.
- Houses are still relatively expensive vs out of town, and most options are High-Ranches, which some (like me) dont like too much. Virtually no classic apartment buildings, so young crowd is limited to basement apartments and a few other choices, and SI can never be a KGH or other hi-rental zone full of young married couples.
- Full NYC taxes, and must cross bridges (with some discounts) to get off the island.
- Very Limited high school options. Boys: (small low-priced chofetz chaim on island for boys, plus Yeshiva of Staten Island and other more hardcore frum yeshivos (with little general studies). JEC is more modern local choice in NJ, and some frum send their kids to Philly/Ner yisroel etc.  Girls: nothing. Bruriah in NJ for more modern, or some shlep to Manhattan, and Prospect park for frumer in Brooklyn.
- Some feel the local yeshivos are subpar, and run at an operating loss requiring significant fundraising.
- Need to drive/bike to get groceries/food etc. Suburban zoning sets the homes away from virtually all shopping/restaurants.
- will always be made fun of b/c there used to be a huge dump on the island (could be seen from space).
- Traffic on summer sundays from NJ and from brooklyn on friday afternoons in winter can be really slow on local Expressway.
- Was really built by courageous and powerful characters who have moved on, and there is no real leader of the community anymore.
- Very republican-heavy with a strong conservative tilt (for those who care about politics).

happy to take questions
did u not read today's post.

Con. Drug dealers.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »

Con. Drug dealers.
What does that have to do with Willowbrook?

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

Con. Drug dealers.
if you mean the kid who was allegedly busted for being a marijuana kingpin, i am actually proud of how the Rabbi of the Young Israel (R Lehrfield) at least grappled and considered making the aufruf (for the otherwise fine family) before turning it down. i much rather have a rabbi who is open and tries to consider all angles than a stubborn closed-minded my-way or the highway. in the end there was no aufruf, most probably because the rabbi considered all the hilarious comments on VIN. http://www.vosizneias.com/152383/2014/01/16/staten-island-ny-rabbi-perplexed-over-proper-protocol-in-handling-scheduled-aufruf-for-jewish-drug-kingpin/

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 27, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »
if you mean the kid who was allegedly busted for being a marijuana kingpin, i am actually proud of how the Rabbi of the Young Israel (R Lehrfield) at least grappled and considered making the aufruf (for the otherwise fine family) before turning it down. i much rather have a rabbi who is open and tries to consider all angles than a stubborn closed-minded my-way or the highway. in the end there was no aufruf, most probably because the rabbi considered all the hilarious comments on VIN. http://www.vosizneias.com/152383/2014/01/16/staten-island-ny-rabbi-perplexed-over-proper-protocol-in-handling-scheduled-aufruf-for-jewish-drug-kingpin/
Sorry rots, couldn't find your article in the post, and what I did see made no mention of Willowbrook.

Offline challah baker

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 12, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »
Hi Dan, really anyone who lives in Cleveland -
Me and my husband are very seriously considering moving to University Heights/Beachwood. We actually were there last week checking it out, and we don't have much time left to make a decision. My husband would be joining the Beachwood Kollel. Please please let me know what you think of these towns, and if someone wouldn't mind posting their or their wive's phone number or email address I would really appreciate it. If not I guess I'll just post specific questions here?
Main things I noticed from being there 2 days: no decent place to eat out, definite culture shock in that respect coming from NY/NJ. Also, Beachwood Place Mall is excellent, and people were super super nice to us wherever we went! I also prefer the demographics there to Lakewood  ;)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
Hi Dan, ......
Please please let me know what you think of these towns,
that's actually highly secret info. Dan will never actually tell you what he thinks about these places.
But I'll tell you a little trick: go back and read his posts in this thread very carefully, if you really concentrate hard and look really carefully at what he wrote, you might get lucky and find some hints to what his opinion of these places is.
Good luck!

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
Hi Dan, really anyone who lives in Cleveland -
Me and my husband are very seriously considering moving to University Heights/Beachwood. We actually were there last week checking it out, and we don't have much time left to make a decision. My husband would be joining the Beachwood Kollel. Please please let me know what you think of these towns, and if someone wouldn't mind posting their or their wive's phone number or email address I would really appreciate it. If not I guess I'll just post specific questions here?
Main things I noticed from being there 2 days: no decent place to eat out, definite culture shock in that respect coming from NY/NJ. Also, Beachwood Place Mall is excellent, and people were super super nice to us wherever we went! I also prefer the demographics there to Lakewood  ;)

What exactly do you want to know? Whether to move to the area in general or which part of town to move to?

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 12, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
that's actually highly secret info. Dan will never actually tell you what he thinks about these places.
But I'll tell you a little trick: go back and read his posts in this thread very carefully, if you really concentrate hard and look really carefully at what he wrote, you might get lucky and find some hints to what his opinion of these places is.
Good luck!

Alol! Sarcasm... but well warranted!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
Good luck!
A little harsh for a first time poster, don't you think?  ;)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 12, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
A little harsh for a first time poster, don't you think?  ;)
Perhaps, but I couldn't resist.

Offline rj95

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 13, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
I'm moving to Miami.New Jersey is getting way too much snow for my liking.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #917 on: February 13, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »
I'm moving to Miami.New Jersey is getting way too much snow for my liking.
Why not CA where the summers aren't torture?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bluiemonster1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
Why not CA where the summers aren't torture?
+1000 Miami sucks most of the year

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #919 on: February 13, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
My favorite donuts in the world! chocolate emporium is opening a cholov yisroel cafe!!!
chocolate emporium in cleveland is closing tommorow. They are all out of the soft serve cy ice cream.
Will miss having them, although I was not a big customer.
^^^