Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788530 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #940 on: February 18, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
Bigger move?
Once you're moving 1K miles what's another 1.4K?
And I'm talking about summers in LA vs. MIA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 18, 2014, 11:49:26 PM »
Bigger move?
Once you're moving 1K miles what's another 1.4K?
Bigger move assuming you have family and friends that you plan on visiting.

And even though LA summers are much nicer then Miami's, if it comes down to choosing between NJ or Miami the choice is clear.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #942 on: February 19, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »
So you have to fly 5 hours instead of 2.5?
I don't see why that's a factor at all.
Not sure why you keep comparing it to NJ.  The eastern seaboard is known for miserable summers and winters and a high cost of living. But yes folks, lots of schools and restaurants.

In my eyes the LA vs MIA factor is that LA has higher housing and taxes but offers perfect weather all year round while MIA is miserably humid for 6-7 months out of the year.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
Yes, 2.5 vs 5 hours and the price of the flight is a big difference to some people.

And I was just saying NJ because a earlier commentator said he's movng from NJ to MIA.

So yes, LA vs MIA is a toss up between higher cost of living or perfect weather, but MIA compared to anywhere in the northeast is no contest. So if LA is not an option MIA is still a major improvement.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
So you have to fly 5 hours instead of 2.5?
I don't see why that's a factor at all.
Not sure why you keep comparing it to NJ.  The eastern seaboard is known for miserable summers and winters and a high cost of living. But yes folks, lots of schools and restaurants.

In my eyes the LA vs MIA factor is that LA has higher housing and taxes but offers perfect weather all year round while MIA is miserably humid for 6-7 months out of the year.
Another 2.5 hours is the difference between a short hop and an actual flight, at least for me.
Being on EST is also a big deal.

True, the heat and humidity here can be brutal for long stretches of time but at it's peak - it's the same as a brutal summer day in NYC. The difference is that it doesn't cool down for months. But you get used to it. You dress for the climate, you hit the pool frequently, and drink lots of cold beer.

The cost of living, especially when you get out of MIA proper, is much lower than NYC and LA, and the tax and business climate in FL is arguably the best in the country.

That is a serious counterweight to LA's perfect weather.

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: February 19, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »

That's what I hoped you meant, because it's LA that's put to shame by MIA during winter.......

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:38 AM »
Another 2.5 hours is the difference between a short hop and an actual flight, at least for me.
Being on EST is also a big deal.

True, the heat and humidity here can be brutal for long stretches of time but at it's peak - it's the same as a brutal summer day in NYC. The difference is that it doesn't cool down for months. But you get used to it. You dress for the climate, you hit the pool frequently, and drink lots of cold beer.

The cost of living, especially when you get out of MIA proper, is much lower than NYC and LA, and the tax and business climate in FL is arguably the best in the country.

That is a serious counterweight to LA's perfect weather.
All good and fine, but from my seat in this miserable winter I'm looking forward to a fantastic summer.
The NYC guys are looking forward to escaping the miserable summer there in their upstate bungalows.
And the MIA guys are enjoying the outdoors before the miserable summer hits-though at least their restaurants will be less crowded as nobody wants to be in MIA in the summer.

Meanwhile the LA guys are laughing at all of us.  They have amazing weather now and they will in the summer as well.

So I ask again.  Why uproot myself from a place with 6 months of great weather and 6 months of crap for the exact same thing flipped.
We can cope with the winter just like you can cope with the summer. It's called staying indoors.  Though I find it easier to bundle up in a ridiculous parka and some uggs than to strip down and walk about like that's normal.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »
That's what I hoped you meant, because it's LA that's put to shame by MIA during winter.......
Disagree. I'd take 70s/50s over a humid 80s/70s as a nice change in season.  But I can see people preferring MIA in the winter.

Overall (what I meant by year-round assuming you're not a snow bird) there's just no comparison.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #948 on: February 19, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »
Disagree. I'd take 70s/50s over a humid 80s/70s as a nice change in season.  But I can see people preferring MIA in the winter.

Overall (what I meant by year-round assuming you're not a snow bird) there's just no comparison.
+1
In addition to the overall better LA year-round, not overly humid weather in most months,
it's also my opinion that all schools (all types, ages, on average) are better in LA than in MIA?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:19 AM »
All good and fine, but from my seat in this miserable winter I'm looking forward to a fantastic summer.
The NYC guys are looking forward to escaping the miserable summer there in their upstate bungalows.
And the MIA guys are enjoying the outdoors before the miserable summer hits-though at least their restaurants will be less crowded as nobody wants to be in MIA in the summer.

Meanwhile the LA guys are laughing at all of us.  They have amazing weather now and they will in the summer as well.

So I ask again.  Why uproot myself from a place with 6 months of great weather and 6 months of crap for the exact same thing flipped.
We can cope with the winter just like you can cope with the summer. It's called staying indoors.  Though I find it easier to bundle up in a ridiculous parka and some uggs than to strip down and walk about like that's normal.
Only 5 months of what accuweather calls "poor day for outdoor fitness" weather this year. Other years it's only 3-4 months... And the kids love the snow...

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:24 AM »

Wintertime, the humidity in MIA isn't that much more than LA. It could get chilly in LA though. A side point benefit of the weather is the virtual nonexistence of pot-holes in MIA.
Let's not get into LA traffic........

Year-round, I completely agree with you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:45 AM »
It could get chilly in LA though. A side point benefit of the weather is the virtual nonexistence of pot-holes in MIA.
Love those 2 days of 40 degree weather when everyone takes out there down parkas in LA :D

LA does have worse traffic, though the restaurants are all condensed on Pico (except for TS) so arguably that's less of a big deal than MIA where the great eateries are spread out from SoBe to Boca.

Without a doubt the biggest plus for MIA is cost of living/taxes.  I'm just not sure it's worth it for someone from CLE to move to when the upside (winter) is cancelled out by the down (summer).

Gosh I would love to be a snowbird and spend 182 days in CLE and 183 days in MIA. No taxes and best of both worlds for weather.

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »
it's also my opinion that all schools (all types, ages, on average) are better in LA than in MIA?

You sorta have a point there.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:41 AM »
Wintertime, the humidity in MIA isn't that much more than LA. It could get chilly in LA though. A side point benefit of the weather is the virtual nonexistence of pot-holes in MIA.

+1
Depends where you work/
  Distance, etc..
MIA and LA can both have a one hour commute, or if you work a few blocks away - a 5 minute commute.
Same with restaurants. They can be nearby or with included traffic.
Now that you mention it, however, it's possible that school carpools/transportation may be longer in one city or another -- however, I suppose that's true everywhere....
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:26 AM »
Love those 2 days of 40 degree weather when everyone takes out there down parkas in LA :D

And those days of sub 60 degree weather when everyone in MIA sports a sweater and scarf(older guys an overcoat)........

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 19, 2014, 12:53:14 AM »
You sorta have a point there.
+100

YES! That's what makes the 40% - 60+% higher mortgages seem worth it -- Better chinuch, IMO, of all ages.

(I wrote it with hesitation, as the various schooling styles may differ, however, the ones that I'm familiar with
and those of my friends all seem to point to the greater Los Angeles area having an overall higher quality of education across the board.
Of course there are exceptions everywhere, but the main Judaic, General Studies, expectations, standards, etc.... )

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2014, 12:56:55 AM »
Has that much changed in chabad education in LA over the past decade?
When I was there it was notoriously awful.

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2014, 12:59:06 AM »
+100

YES! That's what makes the 40% - 60+% higher mortgages seem worth it -- Better chinuch, IMO, of all ages.

(I wrote it with hesitation, as the various schooling styles may differ, however, the ones that I'm familiar with
and those of my friends all seem to point to the greater Los Angeles area having an overall higher quality of education across the board.
Of course there are exceptions everywhere, but the main Judaic, General Studies, expectations, standards, etc.... )

It's much more than 40-60% btw.

I learned 3 years in LA and seen the chinuch situation from across the board: Lubavitch, Litvish, and Chassidish all have better chinuch options in LA.

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 19, 2014, 01:01:32 AM »
Has that much changed in chabad education in LA over the past decade?
When I was there it was notoriously awful.

R Greenbaum turned the whole Cheder Menachem around and partnered up with Menachem Education Foundation, an organization in CH that trains principals and teachers.

The Rosh made a major overhaul 10 years ago with Zal's situation. It's currently one of the best Zals around.

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 19, 2014, 01:02:59 AM »

If you know how to avoid rush hour, LA traffic is really nothing to write home about.
Of course sometimes school/work timing makes that impossible