Author Topic: New Yorkers! 50% Food Stamps Sandy Bonus!  (Read 12858 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: New Yorkers! 50% Food Stamps Sandy Bonus!
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »
Care to elaborate please? :D
If I will be in the area I will make an attempt to come, BL"N.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:38 AM »
If I will be in the area I will make an attempt to come, BL"N.
:o We should be סומך on a triple ספק ספיקה? :(  Ehh

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 01:50:07 AM »
:o We should be סומך on a triple ספק ספיקה? :(  Ehh
Look in Kashrus thread, apparently something like that is considered a ודאי
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2012, 01:56:53 AM »
Look in Kashrus thread, apparently something like that is considered a ודאי
Ahh. Thanks for the consolation!

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »
I respect that as well. You should've introduced me to him

I would sooner take a job in Afghanistan than accept handouts (unless halacha would compel me to take the stamps over sakana).

I'm not saying that is a logical thing but for me personally it would be worth it. And yes I've been in similar situations before.
Amazing how people just shoot stuff out. BH you're not in a tough financial situation, and trust me you haven't been, unless you're married with a few kids, last I check that wasn't the case.

Listen, I totally get a person that doesn't want to take from others but to in someway approve of that more than someone that needs help and takes it, is in my opinion wrong. It's a personal thing. To say that you're more  נוטה to that way, is fine, but leave it at that.

Besides, there are people I know that need help and refuse to take it, and their families suffer. There's a bigger world out there than just us and our feelings, there's life and reality that one has to deal with.

We are all talking/judging from the wrong side of the boat.
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 08:06:10 AM »
Amazing how people just shoot stuff out. BH you're not in a tough financial situation, and trust me you haven't been, unless you're married with a few kids, last I check that wasn't the case.

Listen, I totally get a person that doesn't want to take from others but to in someway approve of that more than someone that needs help and takes it, is in my opinion wrong. It's a personal thing. To say that you're more  נוטה to that way, is fine, but leave it at that.

Besides, there are people I know that need help and refuse to take it, and their families suffer. There's a bigger world out there than just us and our feelings, there's life and reality that one has to deal with.

+100

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »

If someone needs its- then great- I am happy for them to take it and I am happy for my tax dollars and tzedakah to go to that person. But if someone doesn't want to work, or wants to live beyond their means (yes that means living in a community they can't afford, or having more kids than they can afford), then Why should I support their mistakes, laziness, greed?

And I am a Democrat! I voted for Obama and have always tried to support Democrats. I don't think this is a Dem/Repub issue. this is a moral issue. You should never expect others to help you. If you need it, I hope the help is there. But to expect it, so you don't have to work as hard, or you can enjoy the fancier things in life? That is wrong.

If you are a CC churner and you have tons of miles and you use those for a free vacation, but at the same time you are taking tzedaka or federal/state benefits, than that is wrong. Sell those miles and use the money on things you need!

Lastly, why are federal/state benefits any different than tzedakas? Why don't people have the same attitude about tzedakas?

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »
Lastly, why are federal/state benefits any different than tzedakas? Why don't people have the same attitude about tzedakas?
Tzedakah I can choose who gets it and for what reasons...

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
I think most people would agree they don't have issues helping out others who need it. I think the problems start when people take advantage of the system and some of the mentalities that are produced from such a system.  The no need to work, no need to try to help yourself attitude. And the idea that it's coming to you.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »

Nobody in this thread was talking about someone who's kids would starve otherwise. It goes without saying the discussion was about someone who can make it otherwise.

As to doubting my financial situation... I don't like talking about myself here. Lets just call it a day there.

My point was how important it is to someone not to have to rely on the gov't. Some don't mind it at all. Some will work until 3pm to avoid, some until 5pm. I respect the guy who will work until his eyes are shut.

Offline WhyAich

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »
My point was how important it is to someone not to have to rely on the gov't. Some don't mind it at all. Some will work until 3pm to avoid, some until 5pm. I respect the guy who will work until his eyes are shut.

I do too.

would just like to mention that the system actually hurts people that work on the books and long hours just to make a honest living. You can be sitting at home and making $30,000 off the government, or you can be working hard and coming back with less money. Unfortunately it's the sad truth of reality. People that are trying to make ends meet and make an honest living, get killed from the government, all benefits taken away from them etc. and not giving them a chance to get on their feet.

As to doubting my financial situation... I don't like talking about myself here. Lets just call it a day there.

I wasn't doubting your situation, I was just saying when it comes to a situation that involves just yourself, the decision is easier to make, however when someone has kids and a wife in the pic, one cannot decide so easily. but ya, lets just leave it as a day :) I love you! have a wonderful shabbos!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
I do too.

would just like to mention that the system actually hurts people that work on the books and long hours just to make a honest living. You can be sitting at home and making $30,000 off the government, or you can be working hard and coming back with less money. Unfortunately it's the sad truth of reality. People that are trying to make ends meet and make an honest living, get killed from the government, all benefits taken away from them etc. and not giving them a chance to get on their feet.

I wasn't doubting your situation, I was just saying when it comes to a situation that involves just yourself, the decision is easier to make, however when someone has kids and a wife in the pic, one cannot decide so easily. but ya, lets just leave it as a day :) I love you! have a wonderful shabbos!
As I said:
This country is going down the tubes. Time to look for a second citizenship.

It is pretty objectively provable - the only reason for demand for Real Estate in other hubs is because of limitations of ours. The only reason for increased demand in Gold, is currency insecurity, namely the USD.

These numbers are saying it.

Offline WhyAich

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
It is pretty objectively provable - the only reason for demand for Real Estate in other hubs is because of limitations of ours. The only reason for increased demand in Gold, is currency insecurity, namely the USD.

These numbers are saying it.

+1000
we finally agree!

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
And you could work hardly till your eyes are shut and still take advantage of govt programs. What's the problem with this, PlatinumGuy?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
And you could work hardly till your eyes are shut and still take advantage of govt programs. What's the problem with this, PlatinumGuy?
פשוט נבילה בשוק, ואל תצטרך לבריות

I personally feel it degrading to accept support from others. As I said earlier, I'm not saying this is a logical argument.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
I hear ya.
But just wondering whether someone here believes I'm not the 'logical' winner here.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
I hear ya.
But just wondering whether someone here believes I'm not the 'logical' winner here.
I think hard logic will say any money you can earn legally is good.

The only argument is the value of capital gain over emotional gain.

Offline WhyAich

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »

i agree with platniumGuy in the aspect that if you can support yourself properly without it, dont take it. it's not meant for you

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
Again, you have a well ethical and moral argument, but not a logical.
Disagree?

Offline WhyAich

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »
Again, you have a well ethical and moral argument, but not a logical.
Disagree?
totally disagree. you're one person not 2. Besides logic and ethics do go hand in hand as well.