Author Topic: IS this flight allowed for a jew ?  (Read 6591 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: IS this flight allowed for a jew ?
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
heard it and I heard the Rosh absolutely destroy it based on so many levels of halacha.I think he gave us a shiur just to prove how ludicrous it was to light on a plane in the bathroom.

Obviously as a practical matter I would imagine it's assur because of sakana. But I heard a whole shiur on the chiyuv of hadlakas ner chanukah and the theoretical question of whether one is michuyav in and/or can be mikayem the mitzvah on a plane was discuss. It bears relevance to the discussion of soldiers in the field, for example. I can't remember who it was, but someone of note held there may be a chiyuv, and the rest of the shiur was explaining how just about everyone else holds otherwise and it's hard to explain that lone shitah.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
There is no sakana in lighting candles on board, it used to be allowed to smoke on board.

Foreign carriers like SQ and EK usually let F pax smoke in the lav (UNOFFICIALLY).

The issue is that a plane isn't a residence and since one doesnt reside there one cannot light there.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
The issue is that a plane isn't a residence and since one doesnt reside there one cannot light there.
+1 that was the gist of the shiur. Not to mention it is a bathroom...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Re: IS this flight allowed for a jew ?
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
+1 that was the gist of the shiur. Not to mention it is a bathroom...
That issue (in and of itself) is not necessarily problematic in view of some contemporary poskim who hold that modern day lavatories are not necessarily of the same halachic status of the beis hakisei of old (for sure when you close the toilet bowl/make a mechitza etc), I don't recall the makor at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:30:57 PM by Galitzyaner »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
That issue (in and of itself) is not necessarily problematic in view of some contemporary poskim who hold that modern day lavatories are not necessarily of the same halachic status of the beis hakisei of old (for sure when you close the toilet bowl/make a mechitza etc)
Obviously you've never stepped foot in an airplane lav if you think closing the bowl will separate you from anything ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
True story - a rabbi in melbourne flew on chanukah. middle of the flight, him, his wife, and kid, went into the bathroom with a blanket. they covered the fire alarm, and proceeded to light the menorah. 25 minutes later, there was already banging on the door. but they had finished and they casually went back to their seats. :)
ask chabad ppl from melbourne it's quite a known story, and pretty typical of the rabbi in the story.
take a look at what  piskei teshuvos has to say about this :)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
There is no sakana in lighting candles on board, it used to be allowed to smoke on board.

Foreign carriers like SQ and EK usually let F pax smoke in the lav (UNOFFICIALLY).

In turbulence you can hold on to a cigarette. Preventing the candles from falling or the menorah from getting knocked down may not be as simple.

As I said, the issue is whether there is anything to create the chiyuv, after all the mitzvah is ner ish ubaiso. But as I said, there is at least one shita that held you are michuyav to light in a similar situation. I don't remember who was quoted in the shiur I heard, but a quick search turns up the fact that the Maharsham paskened that one is mechuyav to light on a train. The psak appears to be even for coach type seating. Almost no one agrees to that psak, and you may be able to make chilukim between the train and other situations, but such a shita exists.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
Well one thing is for sure of that menorah did start a fire it would be a massive persumei mes nes.  ::)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Fan of Dan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »

That is so cool I would love to try that!

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
Obviously you've never stepped foot in an airplane lav if you think closing the bowl will separate you from anything ;)
Lol. Ein ladavar sof.  (unlike you, I haven't been in more spacious airplane lav's like the a380 first is equipped with ;) )

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
Lol. Ein ladavar sof.  (unlike you, I haven't been in more spacious airplane lav's like the a380 first is equipped with ;) )
IME, SQ A380 Business class Lav is pretty big, and you could prob fit ur family in there to light the menora, and its immaculate with nice roses and air freshner, however im not so sure this Rabbi was in that Lav

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: IS this flight allowed for a jew ?
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
IME, SQ A380 Business class Lav is pretty big, and you could prob fit ur family in there to light the menora, and its immaculate with nice roses and air freshner, however im not so sure this Rabbi was in that Lav
Let's be dan lekaf zchus :D :D

Offline L'Chaim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
In turbulence you can hold on to a cigarette. Preventing the candles from falling or the menorah from getting knocked down may not be as simple.

As I said, the issue is whether there is anything to create the chiyuv, after all the mitzvah is ner ish ubaiso. But as I said, there is at least one shita that held you are michuyav to light in a similar situation. I don't remember who was quoted in the shiur I heard, but a quick search turns up the fact that the Maharsham paskened that one is mechuyav to light on a train. The psak appears to be even for coach type seating. Almost no one agrees to that psak, and you may be able to make chilukim between the train and other situations, but such a shita exists.
Probably because a train you rent a cabin and is different than a seat. In that case
That might be a problem.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Probably because a train you rent a cabin and is different than a seat. In that caseThat might be a problem.

That's why I specifically mentioned that the psak makes no distinction between different types of seating. If you think every train ticket was for a compartment, especially back then, you are mistaken.

Even if your distinction was correct, that would still leave a shaila for those in first class suites on planes.