Author Topic: Quick! got 82K points by mistake  (Read 4728 times)

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Quick! got 82K points by mistake
« on: May 09, 2010, 01:43:30 AM »
B"H

I got 82K points by miistake posted to my Starwood card. It says Membership Rewards points: 82,546, but when I click on it, it says this card is not enrolled in MR points.

anyway I can use this out? Can I call them and force them to give it to me because thats what it says?

thanks!

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Quick! got 82K points by mistake
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
B"H

I got 82K points by miistake posted to my Starwood card. It says Membership Rewards points: 82,546, but when I click on it, it says this card is not enrolled in MR points.

anyway I can use this out? Can I call them and force them to give it to me because thats what it says?

thanks!

I guess you are trying to tell everyone on here either that You arent a Religious Jew or that when it comes to certain things that will benefit yourself you wont ask your LOR about it . (LOR = Local Orthrodox Rabbi)

that aside if it says "not enrolled" then theres no pts even thou it may show there are, and if you know you shouldnt have any pts then if it was me I wouldnt do anything about complaining after all if they take you to the mat you will lose and if you have any other accts they will find them and possibily close them (probably wont but may).

Sort of like a boarding pass gets misprinted and instead of printing out row 20 seat A it printed row 2 seat A, would youe xpect the Airline to really give U the 1st clss seat due to the error

But I do Appreciate the good Laugh so early in the morning that your post brought to me

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »
Not sure how this SPG works, but if it was added to your balance, use it and be happy.
Its a to'us akum, and no problem.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
Not sure how this SPG works, but if it was added to your balance, use it and be happy.
Its a to'us akum, and no problem.

However the OP said it said Membership Rewards pts, the Amex SPG isnt a part of membership rewards you get SPG pts and not MR pts. So something is up and thusly why they cant get to use the pts w/o calling up and complaining and trying to Scam Amex

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
I guess you are trying to tell everyone on here either that You arent a Religious Jew or that when it comes to certain things that will benefit yourself you wont ask your LOR about it . (LOR = Local Orthrodox Rabbi)

Not only is it a tous acum, but even if not its very far from something to be worried about. Im not saying this as a halachic authority, but stealing from goyim is far from as simple as people make it. There was once such a thread here... Also, I think its very far fetched to worry they'll close an account over a complaint like this.

I recently walked into a bank and handed the teller $2750 to deposit. She put it in the counting machine, and it ran 3 bills and then stopped, so she put it through again. It counted $3000...
I told her nono - it should be $2750. The look on her face when she ran it one more time....

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »
Not only is it a tous acum, but even if not its very far from something to be worried about. Im not saying this as a halachic authority, but stealing from goyim is far from as simple as people make it. There was once such a thread here... Also, I think its very far fetched to worry they'll close an account over a complaint like this.

I recently walked into a bank and handed the teller $2750 to deposit. She put it in the counting machine, and it ran 3 bills and then stopped, so she put it through again. It counted $3000...
I told her nono - it should be $2750. The look on her face when she ran it one more time....

reread the 1st post ".. Can I call them and FORCE them to give it to me cause thats what is says". Is way differnt then say the pts are put into the acct and can be used simply by asking them to be transferred.

I guess its sort of like the Bank giving you a receipt for your deposit and the receipt says $20,750 but your acct shows a deposit of $2750 so now will you FORCE the bank to allow you to transfer the $20,750 to another acct or apply it towards your mortgage?

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 01:05:17 PM »
reread the 1st post ".. Can I call them and FORCE them to give it to me cause thats what is says". Is way differnt then say the pts are put into the acct and can be used simply by asking them to be transferred.

true

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
Steve2: I was about to say to you, that you shouldn't be holier than the pope, as you might end up liking kids...   ...but I'm a nice guy, some I'm not saying anything.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »
Steve2: I was about to say to you, that you shouldn't be holier than the pope, as you might end up liking kids...   ...but I'm a nice guy, some I'm not saying anything.

lets not forget who wanted to follow those 2 11 yr olds the other day , and they were boys to make it worse
 so lets play nice LoL

Its just I find even if its OK to use anything that was given to you by mistake and is useable (not the OPs case) its stuill best to wait to make sure its not taken away justa s quick. If you use it and they realize the mistake my feeling is they will charge you for it. At least with Membership Rewards (Amex) I think you can borrow 15k in pts and have 1 yr to pay it back but charging and earning those 15k otherwise they will charge you $$ for it at their reg rate which doesnt pay

dont know about Belgium but here in the US if a bank by mistake gave you more then should have and you used it, you can be arrested for Bank Theft if they want to go down that path
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:29:11 PM by steve2 »

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
First of all they were 9, and too old, so let's change topic.(I guess a mammal is fainting right now)

Not sure about a monetary mistake what the law would be, however, check the MR Terms and conditions, and the official value might be $0.0000001 per point.
However, as they are a bank, they could (I suppose) easily destroy your credit, if they want to...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »
First of all they were 9, and too old, so let's change topic.(I guess a mammal is fainting right now)

Not sure about a monetary mistake what the law would be, however, check the MR Terms and conditions, and the official value might be $0.0000001 per point.
However, as they are a bank, they could (I suppose) easily destroy your credit, if they want to...

the so called offical value isnt what they would charge you if you had to purchase them.Sort of like an Airline where they might value a mile at say 1/2 cent yet no way will they ever charge you so little to purchase them, more like 3 cents if not more to buy.

But Amex will tell you the price they will assess you if you dont end up charging enough to cover the loan of pts before they actually loan them to You, need I say you dont want to end up buying them, sort of like how a rental car company will let you bring the car back w/o filling it up and charge you for doing so, aint something you want to do if at all possible

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »
Not sure it legally works this way.
He never asked for those points

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »
Not sure it legally works this way.
He never asked for those points

well its really a moot thing since there arent any actual Pts that were useable anyway, but if they were and there shouldnt have been I dont for 1 sec think Amex will simply say ,Oh it was our mistake OK forget about returning them, and they cant be transferred back OK you now owe us $xxxx dont pay Good Bye,Credit

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
Now it says 112K

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
Keep on doing whatever you were doing the last 3 days, its working. ;-)

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Any ideA how to handle this?

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
Any idea how to handle this?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »
Any idea how to handle this?

to stop it from occuring or to use them?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »
Holy #$%^&*
I've got 1.5 million in my account that don't belong!
Seriously, what to do???
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
to stop it from occuring or to use them?

to stop, of course