Author Topic: Flying with al italia to tlv from mia, can i check in at ewr all the way through  (Read 1485 times)

Offline menashe04

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi to all
Flying with the famous AL Italia deal to TLV from MIA,
I live in NYC and i am flying that morning to MIA from EWR with AA,
can i check in at EWR all the way through to Israel?

This is my itinerary
AA1623 EWR to MIA 11:40 am to 2:45 pm
AZ631 MIA to FCO 4:40 pm to 8:10 am
AZ808 FCO to TLV 9:20 am to 1:40 pm,
thanks alot
menashe

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Bring your entire itinerary and they should be willing to check your bags through to TLV.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline caveman924

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Are you sure? I thought this can only be done if a) the whole itinerary was booked together or b) all airlines involved were a part of the same alliance (in this case AA is Oneworld and AZ is Skyteam).

Either way I would personally collect my luggage in MIA and then check it in personally with Alitalia as they are notorious for losing luggage and making excuses as to why they are not responsible. Don't give them an excuse.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I've interlined on sep tickets from sep alliances before.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline caveman924

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I've interlined on sep tickets from sep alliances before.

Didn't know that was possible but good to know for the future. Especially with my CC in Canada which gives me bonus points for each booking made/separate transaction. I started buying every leg of a trip as a separate ticket for that reason alone. (assuming that the price is not more expensive doing it that way)

IMO the OP should collect their luggage in MIA and re-check-in especially with Hellitalia's track record on luggage.

Offline menashe04

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks for the responses,
The reason I would prefer doing it direct is due to a short connection time in miami,
Do you think i have enough time to collect the luggage and recheck? also what if i will have a bit of a delay

Offline caveman924

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Not sure.

Weather can play a major factor both in EWR and MIA. If your flight is delayed even a little then you would be squeezing it. If your flight arrives on time it's somewhat possible.

However, after looking at the terminal map the one main question is how many people are you travelling or are you alone? And if there are others, are there any kids?

The reason I ask this is because the AA terminal is huge and depending on where you will land in the terminal can take quite some time before you can even get out of it. Then you would have to collect your luggage and then make your way to the terminal servicing Alitalia which is across the airport. Luckily, for those in the know, there is a moving walkway system that goes between terminals which can speed this up and it's located on the third floor, accessible by elevator.

IMO if you are travelling alone, I would say that if it were me I would risk it. However, if you are travelling with a bigger party then I wouldn't. Luggage can take a while to collect especially if there is more than one checked bag.

There are pros and cons to look at when making this decision. You also have to keep in mind that while there are horror stories with Alitalia and luggage, this does not happen to everyone, it is just that it happens with Alitalia passengers more often compared to other airlines. And, if you booked your travel with a CC that covers delayed luggage then don't worry at all, just book your luggage straight through.

P.S. Either way you decide, make sure that you take the moving walkway from the American terminal to the terminal that services Alitalia. There is not a lot of info in the airport that will direct you to it. It is located on the third floor. If you can't find it ask airport staff. Otherwise if you just follow airport signs they will tell you to walk and it is a very long walk from American (Terminal D) to Alitalia (Terminal H)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Bring your entire itinerary and they should be willing to check your bags through to TLV.

+1

Done this many times myself and with others. up to 4 different airlines, as long they are members of the IATA (excluding southwest etc...) they should be able to check you through all the way.
Just done today: LY F TLV-BKK (booked with LY) CX J BKK-SIN (with BA) SQ J SIN-PER (booked with KF). passenger checked in all the way 2 hours ago without any problems.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
+1

Done this many times myself and with others. up to 4 different airlines, as long they are members of the IATA (excluding southwest etc...) they should be able to check you through all the way.
Just done today: LY F TLV-BKK (booked with LY) CX J BKK-SIN (with BA) SQ J SIN-PER (booked with KF). passenger checked in all the way 2 hours ago without any problems.

It's called the Baggage Interline Agreement, that many airlines are part of. There are some exceptions even within the IATA member airlines. I would suggest you contact the airline, be advised a phone agent may not know what they are talking about!