Topic Wiki

80% of this thread summed up:
To keep stuff cold, get a Polar Bear.
To keep stuff hot, get a Hotlogic.

1. Some of our POM meals in HI were fantastic. And some that were great in the past were inedible. And some of are meals were wrong.
2. 48 pack cooler should fit 20-24 POM size meals. If they're frozen for a few days they'll stay frozen in the cooler for days with no ice needed.
3. Fill the Polar Bear with hot water in a tub and let it sit for a few minutes to expand it so it can fit more meals.

Food/ cooking utensils which are easy to bring while traveling
Beef Jerky/Dried Salami (Easy to make a sandwich. Can add mayo packet)
Wraps, good to use as bread, stays a long time.
Foreman.
Sandwich maker. Bring bread and cheese.
Ramen noodle soups, try with cold water, it isn't bad.
Or ask a coffee shop for free hot water.
Oatmeal Packets (just add hot water and it’s a filling meal)
Tuna Packets
Buy eggs and hard boil inside hot water thing

Foods which are easily found in obscure places in the USA
Bread: Thomas bagels, Sara lee bagels.
Lox, can be found in most groceries.
Sabra humus products.
tuna fish, sardines, etc.
peanut butter, jelly.
cereals. milk, if you drink cholov stam.
Fresh and frozen fish. Try cooking salmon on a foreman with a bit of spices. (Tip the Foreman back a little to keep the juice in for better taste.)

Foods which are easily found all over the world
Fresh fish.
Perhaps american canned tuna.
Fresh fruits and vegetables (in IL there is a problem of terumes and meisres)

Seasons Kosher Meals
Seasons supermarket now advertises that they offer travel meals, similar to Pomegranate

Pomegranate M2G
https://www.thepompeopleonline.com/categories/97309/products

From Dan's Banfff TR
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/33245
Something Fishy - http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Boneless spare ribs with wild mushroom rice and popcorn cauliflower.  The ribs were moist and delicious, I’d order them anytime in a restaurant.  The popcorn cauliflower was fantastic as well.

Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini with pesto sauce, and Balsamic Baby Portabella Mushrooms.  The Sesame chicken was good though it could have used more sauce.  The mushrooms were great and the chicken tortellini was very good as well.

Eggplant Rollatini.  This stuff is unbelievable.  Eggplant loaded with ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It’s probably the best eggplant dish I’ve had in my life.  An absolute must try.

Eggplant Parmesan was the absolute best Eggplent Parmesan I’ve had in my life as well. It’s such a pleasure to eat so well while traveling.

Penne a la Vodka was good, though overshadowed by our massive portions of out of this world Eggplant dishes.

Honey Mustard Corned Beef.  This was a truly awesome mouth-watering dish.  Thick juicy slices of tangy corned beef, it’s a real treat.

Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami was awesome.  The couscous and green beans were good as well.

I wasn’t such a fan of the Sino steak as it was a bit tough.

Fettuccine Alfredo was creamy and fantastic.

Baked Ziti was delicious as well.

Lasagna was good, but not quite up to par as some of the other dairy meals.

Absolutely perfect Chicken Marsala though I wasn’t such a fan of the Shlishkes. The grilled Portabella Mushrooms were very good.

Hot pastrami was very good, but just can’t compete with the honey mustard corned beef.  The Garlic mashed potatoes were phenomenal!

Ancho Marinated Hanger Steak had a fantastic flavor though it got a bit dried out unfortunately.  The grilled vegetables were very good.

The Mac and Cheese was very good, though obviously not as good as when the hotel heats it up for you.

Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Nuggets are outstanding.  The seasonings are just amazing.  The only thing I’d like with it is a dipping sauce so it was perfect that we also had the meatballs below!

Meatballs were very good in a tasty sauce.

Mini stuffed cabbage were excellent as were the roasted potatoes and garlic string beans.

But this was what really blew me away.  The Delmonico steak in a red wine reduction was far superior to the steak that you’ll receive in your local steakhouse.  And when a store figures out how to make a frozen steak that is reheated taste better than what most steakhouses serve I’m left completely speechless.  Plus it’s packed with 2 of my favorite sides-the garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower.

From various DDFrs -
 Honey mustard corned beef and the spare ribs were delicious.
The garlic green beans were a great side dish.
The cheese blintzes were fantastic
Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini

From SF Maui TR http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Every single dish, whether a fancy rib steak or simple tzimmes, was absolutely delectable. The General Tso's was saucy, spicy, and delicious

@Yehuda - August 2015:
Great - BBQ chicken nuggets, Baked breaded chicken cutlet, Buffalo chicken wings, Cheese blintzes, Penne ala vodka, Popcorn cauliflower, Roasted potatoes were great.
Okay - Ribs too fatty for me, Fire Poppers Chicken Nuggets too spicy for me, Garlic broccoli, Mashed potatoes
Bad - Roasted asparagus (was white asparagus)

http://yeahthatskosher.com/2014/01/kosher-travel-meals-a-complete-guide-of-options/

https://www.koshwhere.com/en/
Here's how it works:
Use the search bar and fill your destination address (hotel/airport/home/office,etc) , date range and how many guests will eat. View the caterer's kosher certification, select your favorite kosher meals from the caterer's menu for the days you need, choose your delivery preference and make an order
« Last edited by Dan on January 20, 2023, 09:27:30 AM »

Author Topic: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?  (Read 401074 times)

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
A few years back I was driving from Miami to NY/NJ. We stopped in Richmond, VA for the night. When we checked in we saw 2 distinct groups, the first was a large group of firefighters from surrounding areas, they were having a 3 day training session. The second was a very large Muslim group, dressed with the full garb.

That night I pulled out my George Forman and burner to cook dinner as I have done so many times in the past. I remember there being a very strong (and delicious) smell of cooking from right outside my door. There was also lots more smoke/steam emitting from around the grill then ever before. I was petrified that 100 firemen would come bust me, and start citing violations and codes at me.

Later that night watching TV in bed, I saw that they killed Osama Bin Laden. I laid there in bed waiting for either the firemen or the Muslims to come get me......     

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
just had to tell this I went to London with wife & kid for succos, on the way back lhr-jfk I schlepped 5 containers of shefa cream cheese, at check in they told me I'd have to put it check in luggage but I knew I would have a creamy mess if I did so took my chances, got to security took out the containers & told the guy the baby loves his cream cheese, he looked at me a bit odd but didn't say a word & here I am enjoying it right now. LOL (I guess 1 of the comforts of flying with a baby)

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2012, 02:09:21 AM »
just had to tell this I went to London with wife & kid for succos, on the way back lhr-jfk I schlepped 5 containers of shefa cream cheese, at check in they told me I'd have to put it check in luggage but I knew I would have a creamy mess if I did so took my chances, got to security took out the containers & told the guy the baby loves his cream cheese, he looked at me a bit odd but didn't say a word & here I am enjoying it right now. LOL (I guess 1 of the comforts of flying with a baby)
What is this Shefa, something special?
British product?
(Besides for the fact that it's cream cheese)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
What is this Shefa, something special?
British product?
(Besides for the fact that it's cream cheese)
I had the same company Yogurt in Amsterdam I crave that stuff everyday it was AMAZING!!! It is probably the same with their cream cheese...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
I had the same company Yogurt in Amsterdam I crave that stuff everyday it was AMAZING!!! It is probably the same with their cream cheese...
Sounds Cholov Yisroel, is it?
If it was so good I'd assume it's not British ;), anyone know where it's from?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
Sounds Cholov Yisroel, is it?
If it was so good I'd assume it's not British ;), anyone know where it's from?
Haha ya it's cholov yisroel (the yogurt that is) and I think it was from Antwerp.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »
Can anyone elaborate on what can and can't be brought into Japan

Packaged kosher meat? Dairy products? Would they allow frozen travel meals like Noah's Ark or MM?

Any ideas for buying/making food in Tokyo other than ordering from Chabad every single day (we'll be there for over a week)?

We can take with us whatever we want, but would prefer not to "roll the dice" at customs and have all of our meals confiscated

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »
Can anyone elaborate on what can and can't be brought into Japan

Packaged kosher meat? Dairy products? Would they allow frozen travel meals like Noah's Ark or MM?

Any ideas for buying/making food in Tokyo other than ordering from Chabad every single day (we'll be there for over a week)?

We can take with us whatever we want, but would prefer not to "roll the dice" at customs and have all of our meals confiscated
I brought in Aussie meat and the like and had no issues by customs.

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
Thanks FOD

I thought I read somewhere that what they allow and not allow depends on the country you're coming from (with particular stringency on arrivals from USA)

Anyone know of this and whether it matters (in a good way) that I'll technically be arriving from Guam?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2012, 01:06:21 AM »
Thanks FOD

I thought I read somewhere that what they allow and not allow depends on the country you're coming from (with particular stringency on arrivals from USA)

Anyone know of this and whether it matters (in a good way) that I'll technically be arriving from Guam?
I arrived on the Guam flight as well!!

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
Has anyone had food wrapped and prepared by pomegranate in Brooklyn?  Any recommendations?

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
Has anyone had food wrapped and prepared by pomegranate in Brooklyn?  Any recommendations?

Ask damaxer91
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:22 PM »

Everything was good but the Meat help up better than the Chicken. Dairy stuff was especially good. Menu Includes:

Beef
Boneless Spare Ribs
Carne Asada
Romanian Kebab
Sino Steak
Stuffed Cabbage
Swedish Meatballs
Veal Marsala

Hand Carved
Heimish Brisket
Texas Style Smoked Brisket
Honey Mustard Corned Beef
Hot Pastrami
Turkey

Chicken
Breaded Chicken Cutlets - Fried
Breaded Chicken Cutlets - Baked
Breaded Chicken Cutlets Almondine (Coated with almonds) Battered Chicken Cutlets Soutwestern Pan Fried Chicken Cutlets Chicken Nuggets BBQ Chicken Nuggets Honey Mustard Chicken Nuggets Fire Poppers Spicy Garlic Dill Nuggets Southern Fried Nuggets Chicken Fingers Corn Flake Chicken Fingers Crispy Chicken Fingers Fried Chicken Wings BBQ Chicken Wings Buffalo Wings Thai Chicken Wings Southern Fried Chicken Grilled Chicken Cutlets BBQ Grilled Chicken Cutlets Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Cutlets Chicken Marsala Chicken Scarpariello Sweet chili Pastrami Pockets Roasted Chicken Tops Roasted Chicken Bottoms Baby Chicken Skewers Indonesian Baby Chicken Pesto Baby Chicken Chicken Shawarma (Dark meat) Chicken Capons Stuffed With Kishka Chicken Capons Stuffed With Mushrooms Chicken Capons Stuffed With Pastrami Chicken Capons Stuffed With Spinach Glazed Chicken Pastrami (Rolled)

Chinese
Chicken Broccoli
Beef w/ String Beans
Pepper Steak
Sesame Chicken
Thai Chicken

Side Dishes
Asian Rice
Brown Wild Rice
Lamb Pilaf
Mushroom Rice
White Basmati Rice
Wild Rice
Cabbage & Noodles
Kasha Varnishkas
Israeli Cous-Cous
Quinoa & Vegetables
Red Quinoa
Vegetable Lo Mein
Roasted Potatoes
Mashed Potato
Shlishkes
Breaded Broccoli
Breaded Cauliflower
Breaded Eggplant
Breaded Mushroom
Baby Zucchini in Sundried Tomato Pesto
Creamed Spinach
Garlic Broccoli
Garlic String Beans
Grilled Asparagus
Grilled Eggplant
Grilled Peppers
Grilled Zucchini
Roasted Sweet Potato
Roasted Butternut Squash
Herb Roasted Sweet Potato
Grilled Portabella Mushrooms
Herbed Sauteed Mushrooms
Popcorn Cauliflower
Roasted Candy Cane Beets
Roasted Garden Vegetables
Steamed Edamame
Steamed Vegetables

Also available: (not as part of a meal)
Deli Cold Cuts:
Salami
Hard Salami
Bologna
Chuck Pastrami
Corned Beef
Roast Beef
Homemade Pickled Tongue
Smoked Turkey Breast
Cooked Turkey Breast
Oven Roasted & Grilled Turkey Breast
Honey Glazed Turkey Breast
Mexican Turkey Breast
Turkey Roll
Romanian Turkey Pastrami
Turkey Delight

Soups (32oz cont. only)
Beef Cabbage Soup
Black Bean Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Chicken Soup
Grandmas Hearty Chicken Soup
Southwestern Corn Soup
French Onion Soup
Lentil Soup
Mushroom Soup
Potato Leek Soup
Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup w/ Basil
Split Pea Soup
Tomato Soup
Vegetable Soup
White Vegetable Soup
Zucchini Soup w/ Roasted Garlic

Apple Compote
Apple Cranberry Compote
Brandied Pear Compote
Cherry Compote
Fruit Compote
Fresh Fruit Soup

Dairy Options:
Penne Vodka
Baked Ziti
Lasagna
Eggplant Parmesan
Mac N’ Cheese
Fettuccini Alfredo
Eggplant Rollatini
Cheese Latkes
Cheese Blintzes
Cherry Cheese Blintzes
Blueberry Cheese Blintzes
Chocolate Cheese Blintzes

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
Which items did you get?
Any pics?
Anything particularly good or bad?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline isramen

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
im thinking of going to Jamaica. was wondering if anyone knows if u can get any kosher products in supermarkets? i heard they're strict about bringing meat has anyone brought meat there?

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
im thinking of going to Jamaica. was wondering if anyone knows if u can get any kosher products in supermarkets? i heard they're strict about bringing meat has anyone brought meat there?

http://kosherdelight.com/Jamaica_Kosher_Food.shtml
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/663091
mendy

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
Which items did you get?
Any pics?
Anything particularly good or bad?

All of the meat dishes (Sino Steak, Honey Mustard Corned Beef, Boneless Ribs, Hot Pastrami) were fantastic
Chicken was ok as is all chicken that is frozen and heated while double wrapped
All dairy was good as was the soup

Offline MisterHock

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »

Yes, very positive experience. Just tell them you are traveling with it and they will seal/wrap/dry ice everything!

Offline sal2011

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
you would be surprised how places would help you wrap the food good almost any bagel shop if you tell them its for the plane the wrap it ceramic wrap if its done right the sandwich can hold pretty long same idea when i leave israel i get a begaut sandwhich tell the guy its for trip he gos into the back brings out either good silver foil or plastic wrap 8)

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:44 PM »
you would be surprised how places would help you wrap the food good almost any bagel shop if you tell them its for the plane the wrap it ceramic wrap if its done right the sandwich can hold pretty long same idea when i leave israel i get a begaut sandwhich tell the guy its for trip he gos into the back brings out either good silver foil or plastic wrap 8)
?