Topic Wiki

80% of this thread summed up:
To keep stuff cold, get a Polar Bear.
To keep stuff hot, get a Hotlogic.

1. Some of our POM meals in HI were fantastic. And some that were great in the past were inedible. And some of are meals were wrong.
2. 48 pack cooler should fit 20-24 POM size meals. If they're frozen for a few days they'll stay frozen in the cooler for days with no ice needed.
3. Fill the Polar Bear with hot water in a tub and let it sit for a few minutes to expand it so it can fit more meals.

Food/ cooking utensils which are easy to bring while traveling
Beef Jerky/Dried Salami (Easy to make a sandwich. Can add mayo packet)
Wraps, good to use as bread, stays a long time.
Foreman.
Sandwich maker. Bring bread and cheese.
Ramen noodle soups, try with cold water, it isn't bad.
Or ask a coffee shop for free hot water.
Oatmeal Packets (just add hot water and it’s a filling meal)
Tuna Packets
Buy eggs and hard boil inside hot water thing

Foods which are easily found in obscure places in the USA
Bread: Thomas bagels, Sara lee bagels.
Lox, can be found in most groceries.
Sabra humus products.
tuna fish, sardines, etc.
peanut butter, jelly.
cereals. milk, if you drink cholov stam.
Fresh and frozen fish. Try cooking salmon on a foreman with a bit of spices. (Tip the Foreman back a little to keep the juice in for better taste.)

Foods which are easily found all over the world
Fresh fish.
Perhaps american canned tuna.
Fresh fruits and vegetables (in IL there is a problem of terumes and meisres)

Seasons Kosher Meals
Seasons supermarket now advertises that they offer travel meals, similar to Pomegranate

Pomegranate M2G
https://www.thepompeopleonline.com/categories/97309/products

From Dan's Banfff TR
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/33245
Something Fishy - http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Boneless spare ribs with wild mushroom rice and popcorn cauliflower.  The ribs were moist and delicious, I’d order them anytime in a restaurant.  The popcorn cauliflower was fantastic as well.

Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini with pesto sauce, and Balsamic Baby Portabella Mushrooms.  The Sesame chicken was good though it could have used more sauce.  The mushrooms were great and the chicken tortellini was very good as well.

Eggplant Rollatini.  This stuff is unbelievable.  Eggplant loaded with ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It’s probably the best eggplant dish I’ve had in my life.  An absolute must try.

Eggplant Parmesan was the absolute best Eggplent Parmesan I’ve had in my life as well. It’s such a pleasure to eat so well while traveling.

Penne a la Vodka was good, though overshadowed by our massive portions of out of this world Eggplant dishes.

Honey Mustard Corned Beef.  This was a truly awesome mouth-watering dish.  Thick juicy slices of tangy corned beef, it’s a real treat.

Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami was awesome.  The couscous and green beans were good as well.

I wasn’t such a fan of the Sino steak as it was a bit tough.

Fettuccine Alfredo was creamy and fantastic.

Baked Ziti was delicious as well.

Lasagna was good, but not quite up to par as some of the other dairy meals.

Absolutely perfect Chicken Marsala though I wasn’t such a fan of the Shlishkes. The grilled Portabella Mushrooms were very good.

Hot pastrami was very good, but just can’t compete with the honey mustard corned beef.  The Garlic mashed potatoes were phenomenal!

Ancho Marinated Hanger Steak had a fantastic flavor though it got a bit dried out unfortunately.  The grilled vegetables were very good.

The Mac and Cheese was very good, though obviously not as good as when the hotel heats it up for you.

Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Nuggets are outstanding.  The seasonings are just amazing.  The only thing I’d like with it is a dipping sauce so it was perfect that we also had the meatballs below!

Meatballs were very good in a tasty sauce.

Mini stuffed cabbage were excellent as were the roasted potatoes and garlic string beans.

But this was what really blew me away.  The Delmonico steak in a red wine reduction was far superior to the steak that you’ll receive in your local steakhouse.  And when a store figures out how to make a frozen steak that is reheated taste better than what most steakhouses serve I’m left completely speechless.  Plus it’s packed with 2 of my favorite sides-the garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower.

From various DDFrs -
 Honey mustard corned beef and the spare ribs were delicious.
The garlic green beans were a great side dish.
The cheese blintzes were fantastic
Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini

From SF Maui TR http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Every single dish, whether a fancy rib steak or simple tzimmes, was absolutely delectable. The General Tso's was saucy, spicy, and delicious

@Yehuda - August 2015:
Great - BBQ chicken nuggets, Baked breaded chicken cutlet, Buffalo chicken wings, Cheese blintzes, Penne ala vodka, Popcorn cauliflower, Roasted potatoes were great.
Okay - Ribs too fatty for me, Fire Poppers Chicken Nuggets too spicy for me, Garlic broccoli, Mashed potatoes
Bad - Roasted asparagus (was white asparagus)

http://yeahthatskosher.com/2014/01/kosher-travel-meals-a-complete-guide-of-options/

https://www.koshwhere.com/en/
Here's how it works:
Use the search bar and fill your destination address (hotel/airport/home/office,etc) , date range and how many guests will eat. View the caterer's kosher certification, select your favorite kosher meals from the caterer's menu for the days you need, choose your delivery preference and make an order
« Last edited by Dan on January 20, 2023, 09:27:30 AM »

Author Topic: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?  (Read 400586 times)

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Re: Next Vacation - Ideas
« Reply #460 on: July 30, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
San Juan i believe has kosher and there are some Chabad locations in  which offer food i believe. If someone can jump in with more specific information, it would be helpful.
i ate in san juan from the chabad in old san juan. he also delivered to my hotel one night(i paid for the taxi cost). he has on the menu fresh dairy food. like paninis salads pizza falafel and more.  very good food!
#TYH

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #461 on: July 30, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
Is there any Kosher food in the Caribbean? We really don't want to bring..
Aruba has- see attached

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2014, 10:20:38 AM »
Aruba has- see attached

I think we are settled on Puerto Rico.
Any food there, aside for Chabad delivery service? Is there bread at the walmarts?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #463 on: August 03, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »
5% off Pomegranate travel meals with coupon code SummerPOM2014.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 03, 2014, 01:13:16 AM »
sorry if any of these idea were mentioned i didnt read thru the thread.
pasta. you can get kosher almost anywhere in the usa, its very simple to prepare i have taken hot water from coffe maker in hotel room/or many fast food places would give you free (mcdonalds burger king) put thre pasta in large ziplock bag or tie bag at the top and let it just sit 20-30 min it takes longer than cooking but it works. by the time its ready the water would have cooled and past would not be too hot unless you redo the hot water
we also make eggs/cheese in a sandwich maker comes out nice and fluffy dont  fill over fill it rises.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #465 on: August 03, 2014, 01:30:50 AM »
sorry if any of these idea were mentioned i didnt read thru the thread.
pasta. you can get kosher almost anywhere in the usa, its very simple to prepare i have taken hot water from coffe maker in hotel room/or many fast food places would give you free (mcdonalds burger king) put thre pasta in large ziplock bag or tie bag at the top and let it just sit 20-30 min it takes longer than cooking but it works. by the time its ready the water would have cooled and past would not be too hot unless you redo the hot water
we also make eggs/cheese in a sandwich maker comes out nice and fluffy dont  fill over fill it rises.
I am pretty sure that pasta doesn't need a hechsher
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #466 on: August 03, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »
We really don't want to bring..
Never understood the aversion to bringing along food.
Is an extra suitcase of meals that much of a bother?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 03, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
Never understood the aversion to bringing along food.
Is an extra suitcase of meals that much of a bother?
It's not just the suitcase, it's the shopping, - and yes- the shleping, being bz with the microwave etc, being served is a pleasure.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #468 on: August 03, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
It's not just the suitcase, it's the shopping, - and yes- the shleping, being bz with the microwave etc, being served is a pleasure.
POM can deliver meals to you and you can have pretty much any hotel heat and serve them to you at a restaurant or as room service.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #469 on: August 03, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
Shlepping meals, especially when doing intra-asia connections on LCCs, can really put a ding in the wallet, not to mention they annoyance.

Don't get me wrong, I've done it, but for this next trip, I'm looking to avoid it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 03, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »
Unless you're getting subsidized chabad meals youll still pay less and eat better with POM meals. Even paying for LCC baggage.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #471 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Unless you're getting subsidized chabad meals youll still pay less and eat better with POM meals. Even paying for LCC baggage.

Hmmm...

Maybe I need to look at the POM menu again.

Though, regardless of price, the thought of shlepping 6 days worth of food to DPS, when I'm going to be in DXB and SIN before that is... unpalatable. (Pardon the pun)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 03, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
What are you eating in DXB?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 03, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »
What are you eating in DXB?

Will be there for <24 hours.

I figure we can bring sandwiches or the like to get us through the day.

SIN, as you know, has a restaurant, and I believe a coffee bean, so we're good there.

Bali has precisely nothing.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »
Sounds tailor made for POM.
Nothing in SIN is going to transport that well.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 03, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
I'm no so sure... I'm assuming my luggage will be put all the way through JFK-DXB-SIN... If so, my food will be somewhere, in the heat, for like 18 hours....

In any event, how many meals did you order for Banff?

How many boxes were shipped to you? (Trying to determine how much space this is gonna be...)

When you say there were "concerns with customs" as the reason you didn't send directly to hotel, what were they?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 03, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, do POM meals come vacuum packed or frozen, if frozen how long can they stay outside of a fridge/freezer while traveling?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 03, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Frozen.

We froze the meals for a couple days before the trip and checked them in our luggage. It took some 11 hours from when we left our house until we got the bags in our hotel room but the meals were still frozen solid.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 04, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
I'm no so sure... I'm assuming my luggage will be put all the way through JFK-DXB-SIN... If so, my food will be somewhere, in the heat, for like 18 hours....

In any event, how many meals did you order for Banff?

How many boxes were shipped to you? (Trying to determine how much space this is gonna be...)

When you say there were "concerns with customs" as the reason you didn't send directly to hotel, what were they?
You're not staying in a hotel in DXB? No reason they can't short-check.

Meal sizes are very generous, but still figure on 1 per person per meal.  Probably a pound per meal I'd guess and we stuck them all in one suitcase.

What happens if the food gets holed up at the border and we're not there to rescue it?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #479 on: August 04, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
To get the Pom meals heated on the plane, do they have to be in the microwave packaging or the oven packaging?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons