Topic Wiki

80% of this thread summed up:
To keep stuff cold, get a Polar Bear.
To keep stuff hot, get a Hotlogic.

1. Some of our POM meals in HI were fantastic. And some that were great in the past were inedible. And some of are meals were wrong.
2. 48 pack cooler should fit 20-24 POM size meals. If they're frozen for a few days they'll stay frozen in the cooler for days with no ice needed.
3. Fill the Polar Bear with hot water in a tub and let it sit for a few minutes to expand it so it can fit more meals.

Food/ cooking utensils which are easy to bring while traveling
Beef Jerky/Dried Salami (Easy to make a sandwich. Can add mayo packet)
Wraps, good to use as bread, stays a long time.
Foreman.
Sandwich maker. Bring bread and cheese.
Ramen noodle soups, try with cold water, it isn't bad.
Or ask a coffee shop for free hot water.
Oatmeal Packets (just add hot water and it’s a filling meal)
Tuna Packets
Buy eggs and hard boil inside hot water thing

Foods which are easily found in obscure places in the USA
Bread: Thomas bagels, Sara lee bagels.
Lox, can be found in most groceries.
Sabra humus products.
tuna fish, sardines, etc.
peanut butter, jelly.
cereals. milk, if you drink cholov stam.
Fresh and frozen fish. Try cooking salmon on a foreman with a bit of spices. (Tip the Foreman back a little to keep the juice in for better taste.)

Foods which are easily found all over the world
Fresh fish.
Perhaps american canned tuna.
Fresh fruits and vegetables (in IL there is a problem of terumes and meisres)

Seasons Kosher Meals
Seasons supermarket now advertises that they offer travel meals, similar to Pomegranate

Pomegranate M2G
https://www.thepompeopleonline.com/categories/97309/products

From Dan's Banfff TR
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/33245
Something Fishy - http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Boneless spare ribs with wild mushroom rice and popcorn cauliflower.  The ribs were moist and delicious, I’d order them anytime in a restaurant.  The popcorn cauliflower was fantastic as well.

Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini with pesto sauce, and Balsamic Baby Portabella Mushrooms.  The Sesame chicken was good though it could have used more sauce.  The mushrooms were great and the chicken tortellini was very good as well.

Eggplant Rollatini.  This stuff is unbelievable.  Eggplant loaded with ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It’s probably the best eggplant dish I’ve had in my life.  An absolute must try.

Eggplant Parmesan was the absolute best Eggplent Parmesan I’ve had in my life as well. It’s such a pleasure to eat so well while traveling.

Penne a la Vodka was good, though overshadowed by our massive portions of out of this world Eggplant dishes.

Honey Mustard Corned Beef.  This was a truly awesome mouth-watering dish.  Thick juicy slices of tangy corned beef, it’s a real treat.

Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami was awesome.  The couscous and green beans were good as well.

I wasn’t such a fan of the Sino steak as it was a bit tough.

Fettuccine Alfredo was creamy and fantastic.

Baked Ziti was delicious as well.

Lasagna was good, but not quite up to par as some of the other dairy meals.

Absolutely perfect Chicken Marsala though I wasn’t such a fan of the Shlishkes. The grilled Portabella Mushrooms were very good.

Hot pastrami was very good, but just can’t compete with the honey mustard corned beef.  The Garlic mashed potatoes were phenomenal!

Ancho Marinated Hanger Steak had a fantastic flavor though it got a bit dried out unfortunately.  The grilled vegetables were very good.

The Mac and Cheese was very good, though obviously not as good as when the hotel heats it up for you.

Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Nuggets are outstanding.  The seasonings are just amazing.  The only thing I’d like with it is a dipping sauce so it was perfect that we also had the meatballs below!

Meatballs were very good in a tasty sauce.

Mini stuffed cabbage were excellent as were the roasted potatoes and garlic string beans.

But this was what really blew me away.  The Delmonico steak in a red wine reduction was far superior to the steak that you’ll receive in your local steakhouse.  And when a store figures out how to make a frozen steak that is reheated taste better than what most steakhouses serve I’m left completely speechless.  Plus it’s packed with 2 of my favorite sides-the garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower.

From various DDFrs -
 Honey mustard corned beef and the spare ribs were delicious.
The garlic green beans were a great side dish.
The cheese blintzes were fantastic
Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini

From SF Maui TR http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Every single dish, whether a fancy rib steak or simple tzimmes, was absolutely delectable. The General Tso's was saucy, spicy, and delicious

@Yehuda - August 2015:
Great - BBQ chicken nuggets, Baked breaded chicken cutlet, Buffalo chicken wings, Cheese blintzes, Penne ala vodka, Popcorn cauliflower, Roasted potatoes were great.
Okay - Ribs too fatty for me, Fire Poppers Chicken Nuggets too spicy for me, Garlic broccoli, Mashed potatoes
Bad - Roasted asparagus (was white asparagus)

http://yeahthatskosher.com/2014/01/kosher-travel-meals-a-complete-guide-of-options/

https://www.koshwhere.com/en/
Here's how it works:
Use the search bar and fill your destination address (hotel/airport/home/office,etc) , date range and how many guests will eat. View the caterer's kosher certification, select your favorite kosher meals from the caterer's menu for the days you need, choose your delivery preference and make an order
« Last edited by Dan on January 20, 2023, 09:27:30 AM »

Author Topic: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?  (Read 393115 times)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #1200 on: August 09, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
I was referring to my particular experience. Did you just feel the external temperature and decide on that it was frozen?
you can push down on the top and feel it.

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 09, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »
you can push down on the top and feel it.
Exactly.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »
Exactly.
+1 I definitely felt it was hard and frozen. Mine were not triple insulated. I also didn't deep freeze. Had them in a regular freezer before the trip.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »
+1 I definitely felt it was hard and frozen. Mine were not triple insulated. I also didn't deep freeze. Had them in a regular freezer before the trip.
What I meant by deep freeze is that they were in my freezer for a good two weeks before we flew out.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 09, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »
What I meant by deep freeze is that they were in my freezer for a good two weeks before we flew out.
WOW. I only got mine 3 days before a trip.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 09, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
About POM meals,

What do they charge for delivery in Brooklyn?

How long can these meals last in an cooler box after a 7 hour flight?

If you deep freeze them, they can last for a while. It was about 8 hours from when we landed in MLE until we got to our hotel and when we opened the bag they were still frozen solid.
Thanks.

My question was more about how long it can last for a road trip in a cooler than about the 7 hour flight.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1206 on: August 09, 2016, 09:08:01 PM »
Thanks.

My question was more about how long it can last for a road trip in a cooler than about the 7 hour flight.
they seem to last about 24 hours. So about 17 hours

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 10, 2016, 01:28:17 AM »
they seem to last about 24 hours. So about 17 hours
That's it? Has no one taken these on a road trip in a cooler box in the back of the car?
I'm planning a 3 week road trip and I'm hoping that I can use these for the first week.

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 10, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
I have the Polar Bear bag and went from Montorey, CA from Friday morning,to San Francisco and left in my car on Friday till before shabbos, but brought indoors but not refrigerated till after Shabbos in July. Food was cold but not frozen.

Offline Zevi16

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 10, 2016, 04:34:33 AM »
Im not sure if it been brought up here but I stumbled across this website whilst looking for food in Bulgaria.
I'll have to find it again but they deliver food all over the world. Extremely expensive.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1210 on: August 10, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »
That's it? Has no one taken these on a road trip in a cooler box in the back of the car?
I'm planning a 3 week road trip and I'm hoping that I can use these for the first week.

As long as you keep on changing the ice in the cooler it should stay cold and fresh.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 10, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
Im not sure if it been brought up here but I stumbled across this website whilst looking for food in Bulgaria.
I'll have to find it again but they deliver food all over the world. Extremely expensive.
Edit.
It's Www.kosherwhere.com

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 10, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »
Edit.
It's Www.kosherwhere.com

Holy Smokes...this AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU.  Just for giggles, I put in Conrad Maldives at they have a whole menu that I can order from Chabad in Sri Lanka!  I was going to order food from the meat restaurant in Singapore to bring to the Maldives, and I still may but via this service, just to make sure it is delivered to my hotel already wrapped properly and so I don't have to waste time e-mailing the restaurant and them screwing up things.  I don't think the prices are expensive at all and if we can support Chabad shaliachs and restaurants in these far flung places so much the better.  Thank you again so much posting this.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 10, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
Holy Smokes...this AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU.  Just for giggles, I put in Conrad Maldives at they have a whole menu that I can order from Chabad in Sri Lanka!  I was going to order food from the meat restaurant in Singapore to bring to the Maldives, and I still may but via this service, just to make sure it is delivered to my hotel already wrapped properly and so I don't have to waste time e-mailing the restaurant and them screwing up things.  I don't think the prices are expensive at all and if we can support Chabad shaliachs and restaurants in these far flung places so much the better.  Thank you again so much posting this.
The dishes themselves aren't that expensive, but start adding things to your cart and looking how expensive shipping is (at least to MLE).

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 10, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
The dishes themselves aren't that expensive, but start adding things to your cart and looking how expensive shipping is (at least to MLE).

MLE delivery was insane but for $200 total and taking a total of about 5 minutes, I just ordered all my food (10 meals, delivery fee and the website fee) for MLE to be delivered frozen to the Conrad in Singapore and then I will just bring them on the plane for the 4hr flight.  I could have not paid the fees and dealt directly with the Singapore restaurant but I had already tried to e-mail the restaurant, got a weird response with only five food options, and didn't feel comfortable that they would be ready and wrapped properly.  I also could have ordered directly while I'm at the restaurant, but hopefully they'll follow my directions, cook, freeze and deliver them properly ahead.  If not, I have recourse through Paypal, Amex and the website and worse case scenario can still order take out from the restaurant like I was going to have to do before. 

I would also like to support this guy's amazing business.  It's really meant for business travelers and since I travel and book a lot of travel for others it will save me a ton of time and effort, trying to find kosher options, calling them, ordering and in general wasting time and being annoyed.  For example, we also have a business meeting one evening in Singapore and with this option, I might actually have food also delivered, since they wanted to take us out but going to the kosher restaurant was in an inconvenient location for all of us.  I can send our colleagues this website and let them deal with ordering food if they want.  The receipt/invoices are also amazing for businesses and now I'm going to get their points rewards from business orders for myself too.  I hope he is super successful and I can use this service a ton in the future!

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 11, 2016, 04:51:25 AM »
I guess someone should add it to the wiki...

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 11, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »

Absolutely.  I think it's a total game changer for my travel plans.  I searched a bunch of random places and got great options and a lot only had delivery fees of $5-$10 bucks.  For example, for the Andaz in Costa Rica I got this huge menu of inexpensive food, sourced from Mexico City, with only a $10 delivery fee. 

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 12, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »

Added. I would love to hear about people's experiences with them.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 12, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »
Added. I would love to hear about people's experiences with them.

I can let you know how they do with my order in Singapore in a couple weeks.  I already got an email that the supplier accepted my order.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 15, 2016, 02:32:13 AM »
I decided in the last minute that I wanna take a few-day trip. When considering pom meals I realized on their website that it has to be ordered way in advance. I was wondering if anyone has any experience pushing them to have it ready in a day or so. I'm even open to picking up the food myself before they freeze it. Any knowledge, advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.