Topic Wiki

80% of this thread summed up:
To keep stuff cold, get a Polar Bear.
To keep stuff hot, get a Hotlogic.

1. Some of our POM meals in HI were fantastic. And some that were great in the past were inedible. And some of are meals were wrong.
2. 48 pack cooler should fit 20-24 POM size meals. If they're frozen for a few days they'll stay frozen in the cooler for days with no ice needed.
3. Fill the Polar Bear with hot water in a tub and let it sit for a few minutes to expand it so it can fit more meals.

Food/ cooking utensils which are easy to bring while traveling
Beef Jerky/Dried Salami (Easy to make a sandwich. Can add mayo packet)
Wraps, good to use as bread, stays a long time.
Foreman.
Sandwich maker. Bring bread and cheese.
Ramen noodle soups, try with cold water, it isn't bad.
Or ask a coffee shop for free hot water.
Oatmeal Packets (just add hot water and it’s a filling meal)
Tuna Packets
Buy eggs and hard boil inside hot water thing

Foods which are easily found in obscure places in the USA
Bread: Thomas bagels, Sara lee bagels.
Lox, can be found in most groceries.
Sabra humus products.
tuna fish, sardines, etc.
peanut butter, jelly.
cereals. milk, if you drink cholov stam.
Fresh and frozen fish. Try cooking salmon on a foreman with a bit of spices. (Tip the Foreman back a little to keep the juice in for better taste.)

Foods which are easily found all over the world
Fresh fish.
Perhaps american canned tuna.
Fresh fruits and vegetables (in IL there is a problem of terumes and meisres)

Seasons Kosher Meals
Seasons supermarket now advertises that they offer travel meals, similar to Pomegranate

Pomegranate M2G
https://www.thepompeopleonline.com/categories/97309/products

From Dan's Banfff TR
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/33245
Something Fishy - http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Boneless spare ribs with wild mushroom rice and popcorn cauliflower.  The ribs were moist and delicious, I’d order them anytime in a restaurant.  The popcorn cauliflower was fantastic as well.

Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini with pesto sauce, and Balsamic Baby Portabella Mushrooms.  The Sesame chicken was good though it could have used more sauce.  The mushrooms were great and the chicken tortellini was very good as well.

Eggplant Rollatini.  This stuff is unbelievable.  Eggplant loaded with ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It’s probably the best eggplant dish I’ve had in my life.  An absolute must try.

Eggplant Parmesan was the absolute best Eggplent Parmesan I’ve had in my life as well. It’s such a pleasure to eat so well while traveling.

Penne a la Vodka was good, though overshadowed by our massive portions of out of this world Eggplant dishes.

Honey Mustard Corned Beef.  This was a truly awesome mouth-watering dish.  Thick juicy slices of tangy corned beef, it’s a real treat.

Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami was awesome.  The couscous and green beans were good as well.

I wasn’t such a fan of the Sino steak as it was a bit tough.

Fettuccine Alfredo was creamy and fantastic.

Baked Ziti was delicious as well.

Lasagna was good, but not quite up to par as some of the other dairy meals.

Absolutely perfect Chicken Marsala though I wasn’t such a fan of the Shlishkes. The grilled Portabella Mushrooms were very good.

Hot pastrami was very good, but just can’t compete with the honey mustard corned beef.  The Garlic mashed potatoes were phenomenal!

Ancho Marinated Hanger Steak had a fantastic flavor though it got a bit dried out unfortunately.  The grilled vegetables were very good.

The Mac and Cheese was very good, though obviously not as good as when the hotel heats it up for you.

Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Nuggets are outstanding.  The seasonings are just amazing.  The only thing I’d like with it is a dipping sauce so it was perfect that we also had the meatballs below!

Meatballs were very good in a tasty sauce.

Mini stuffed cabbage were excellent as were the roasted potatoes and garlic string beans.

But this was what really blew me away.  The Delmonico steak in a red wine reduction was far superior to the steak that you’ll receive in your local steakhouse.  And when a store figures out how to make a frozen steak that is reheated taste better than what most steakhouses serve I’m left completely speechless.  Plus it’s packed with 2 of my favorite sides-the garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower.

From various DDFrs -
 Honey mustard corned beef and the spare ribs were delicious.
The garlic green beans were a great side dish.
The cheese blintzes were fantastic
Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini

From SF Maui TR http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Every single dish, whether a fancy rib steak or simple tzimmes, was absolutely delectable. The General Tso's was saucy, spicy, and delicious

@Yehuda - August 2015:
Great - BBQ chicken nuggets, Baked breaded chicken cutlet, Buffalo chicken wings, Cheese blintzes, Penne ala vodka, Popcorn cauliflower, Roasted potatoes were great.
Okay - Ribs too fatty for me, Fire Poppers Chicken Nuggets too spicy for me, Garlic broccoli, Mashed potatoes
Bad - Roasted asparagus (was white asparagus)

http://yeahthatskosher.com/2014/01/kosher-travel-meals-a-complete-guide-of-options/

https://www.koshwhere.com/en/
Here's how it works:
Use the search bar and fill your destination address (hotel/airport/home/office,etc) , date range and how many guests will eat. View the caterer's kosher certification, select your favorite kosher meals from the caterer's menu for the days you need, choose your delivery preference and make an order
« Last edited by Dan on January 20, 2023, 09:27:30 AM »

Author Topic: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?  (Read 393329 times)

levi

Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
I will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale late this evening and I will be taking a cruise early in the morning to the Bahamas. Does anyone know of a 24 hour supermarket that sells kosher food that is in Fort Lauderdale? I know of some in Miami but I'd rather not do the drive unless I have to

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
We're at the Fairmont and we gave them the entire box and all we have to do is call a little before we want the food, they warm it and deliver to the room. (No charge here)
I have to find a cheap way of staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani Maui one of these days...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
Dan that post is 2 years old!
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Dan that post is 2 years old!
It's like a La Briute meal...doesn't really go bad.
BTW are you bringing any of those with you?  I never enjoyed a meal like I did eating a piping hot Cheese Ravioli meal overlooking the breathtakingly sheer Na Pali coast, miles and miles away from any place a car can reach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »
I absolutely LOVE the meal mart cholent...with a piece of kishke and kugel...all for about $6...priceless. I had one in Tokyo and I think one in Maui.

Unfortunately they don't sell those in Israel...hey, maybe they do...anyone know?
-Eli

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »
they sell the mm salmon and ziti

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:36 AM »
Where? And I need the Cholent!
-Eli

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »
Where? And I need the Cholent!

Eshkolet has the Salmon and Ziti. No Cholent to speak of :(

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 06:16:36 AM »

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 06:16:55 AM »
Maybe I'll take some Ziti...What the heck are you doing up? Jetlagged?
-Eli

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:46 AM »
I love their restaurant. They have the dangest corned beef sandwiches.

Shame they don't ship to Malaysia, although Awafi in Singapore will but will probably charge a fortune.
-Eli

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »
Shame they don't ship to Malaysia, although Awafi in Singapore will but will probably charge a fortune.

I was wondering that. What did they tell you? Have they done it before? I am heading back there in Jan. IMYH and would like to try the same.

Why don't you just take it with? Customs in LGK was a joke.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2010, 06:20:40 AM »
What the heck are you doing up? Jetlagged?

Nope, I always wake up at around 6 to check DDF ;)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 06:32:14 AM »
I was wondering that. What did they tell you? Have they done it before? I am heading back there in Jan. IMYH and would like to try the same.

Why don't you just take it with? Customs in LGK was a joke.
You're kidding me, you're heading back there? I don't think you're gonna get the Beach Villa but I can try to put in a good word for you :)

I thought you told me it was impossible to take food into Malaysia. If it's not, then you're right, I'll get all the food in advance. I was thinking of bringing a sandwich maker and bread, and buying cheese in the kosher store in Singapore before we leave.
-Eli

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 07:36:09 AM »
You're kidding me, you're heading back there? I don't think you're gonna get the Beach Villa but I can try to put in a good word for you :)

I thought you told me it was impossible to take food into Malaysia. If it's not, then you're right, I'll get all the food in advance. I was thinking of bringing a sandwich maker and bread, and buying cheese in the kosher store in Singapore before we leave.

No, just Australia and NZ. I brought plenty of food into Malaysia. You can even find some Kosher products in the local supermarket

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
the ziti is the best thing they make imho. not a fan of their chunt. nor their ribeye steak which was pretty nasty.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
No, just Australia and NZ. I brought plenty of food into Malaysia. You can even find some Kosher products in the local supermarket
You can't bring any food at all into Australia/NZ?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
You can't bring any food at all into Australia/NZ?
yes but it better be commerially packaged and you better declare it when entering! so bringing in sandwiches or fresh fruit or meat from a local butcher look out, no different then Israel where you also arent suppose to bring it in and if found they will take away the whole suitcase and burn it with everything that was in it not only the meat. Packaged franks or cheese isnt as bad in Israel dont know about AU or NZ

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
yes but it better be commerially packaged and you better declare it when entering! so bringing in sandwiches or fresh fruit or meat from a local butcher look out, no different then Israel where you also arent suppose to bring it in and if found they will take away the whole suitcase and burn it with everything that was in it not only the meat. Packaged franks or cheese isnt as bad in Israel dont know about AU or NZ

Australia and NZ are CRAZY about the whole customs thing. Unlike Israel where almost nobody gets stopped, EVERY bag must go through the x-ray machine and if they find something they will raise hell. Forget about Meat, Cheese and most other things. If you are not sure, Declare it and they will tell you. My friends and I once got stuck at PER for 5 hours because we tried sneaking in a pack of Hot Dogs

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
Australia and NZ are CRAZY about the whole customs thing. Unlike Israel where almost nobody gets stopped, EVERY bag must go through the x-ray machine and if they find something they will raise hell. Forget about Meat, Cheese and most other things. If you are not sure, Declare it and they will tell you. My friends and I once got stuck at PER for 5 hours because we tried sneaking in a pack of Hot Dogs
Would they stop packaged La Briute meals of Cheese Ravioli or Spaghetti and Meatballs?
So what do you do for food in Aussieland? Do you need to stop in MEL/SYD to pick up food before traveling elsewhere?