Topic Wiki

80% of this thread summed up:
To keep stuff cold, get a Polar Bear.
To keep stuff hot, get a Hotlogic.

1. Some of our POM meals in HI were fantastic. And some that were great in the past were inedible. And some of are meals were wrong.
2. 48 pack cooler should fit 20-24 POM size meals. If they're frozen for a few days they'll stay frozen in the cooler for days with no ice needed.
3. Fill the Polar Bear with hot water in a tub and let it sit for a few minutes to expand it so it can fit more meals.

Food/ cooking utensils which are easy to bring while traveling
Beef Jerky/Dried Salami (Easy to make a sandwich. Can add mayo packet)
Wraps, good to use as bread, stays a long time.
Foreman.
Sandwich maker. Bring bread and cheese.
Ramen noodle soups, try with cold water, it isn't bad.
Or ask a coffee shop for free hot water.
Oatmeal Packets (just add hot water and it’s a filling meal)
Tuna Packets
Buy eggs and hard boil inside hot water thing

Foods which are easily found in obscure places in the USA
Bread: Thomas bagels, Sara lee bagels.
Lox, can be found in most groceries.
Sabra humus products.
tuna fish, sardines, etc.
peanut butter, jelly.
cereals. milk, if you drink cholov stam.
Fresh and frozen fish. Try cooking salmon on a foreman with a bit of spices. (Tip the Foreman back a little to keep the juice in for better taste.)

Foods which are easily found all over the world
Fresh fish.
Perhaps american canned tuna.
Fresh fruits and vegetables (in IL there is a problem of terumes and meisres)

Seasons Kosher Meals
Seasons supermarket now advertises that they offer travel meals, similar to Pomegranate

Pomegranate M2G
https://www.thepompeopleonline.com/categories/97309/products

From Dan's Banfff TR
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/33245
Something Fishy - http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Boneless spare ribs with wild mushroom rice and popcorn cauliflower.  The ribs were moist and delicious, I’d order them anytime in a restaurant.  The popcorn cauliflower was fantastic as well.

Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini with pesto sauce, and Balsamic Baby Portabella Mushrooms.  The Sesame chicken was good though it could have used more sauce.  The mushrooms were great and the chicken tortellini was very good as well.

Eggplant Rollatini.  This stuff is unbelievable.  Eggplant loaded with ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It’s probably the best eggplant dish I’ve had in my life.  An absolute must try.

Eggplant Parmesan was the absolute best Eggplent Parmesan I’ve had in my life as well. It’s such a pleasure to eat so well while traveling.

Penne a la Vodka was good, though overshadowed by our massive portions of out of this world Eggplant dishes.

Honey Mustard Corned Beef.  This was a truly awesome mouth-watering dish.  Thick juicy slices of tangy corned beef, it’s a real treat.

Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami was awesome.  The couscous and green beans were good as well.

I wasn’t such a fan of the Sino steak as it was a bit tough.

Fettuccine Alfredo was creamy and fantastic.

Baked Ziti was delicious as well.

Lasagna was good, but not quite up to par as some of the other dairy meals.

Absolutely perfect Chicken Marsala though I wasn’t such a fan of the Shlishkes. The grilled Portabella Mushrooms were very good.

Hot pastrami was very good, but just can’t compete with the honey mustard corned beef.  The Garlic mashed potatoes were phenomenal!

Ancho Marinated Hanger Steak had a fantastic flavor though it got a bit dried out unfortunately.  The grilled vegetables were very good.

The Mac and Cheese was very good, though obviously not as good as when the hotel heats it up for you.

Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Nuggets are outstanding.  The seasonings are just amazing.  The only thing I’d like with it is a dipping sauce so it was perfect that we also had the meatballs below!

Meatballs were very good in a tasty sauce.

Mini stuffed cabbage were excellent as were the roasted potatoes and garlic string beans.

But this was what really blew me away.  The Delmonico steak in a red wine reduction was far superior to the steak that you’ll receive in your local steakhouse.  And when a store figures out how to make a frozen steak that is reheated taste better than what most steakhouses serve I’m left completely speechless.  Plus it’s packed with 2 of my favorite sides-the garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower.

From various DDFrs -
 Honey mustard corned beef and the spare ribs were delicious.
The garlic green beans were a great side dish.
The cheese blintzes were fantastic
Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini

From SF Maui TR http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46759.msg968426#msg968426
Every single dish, whether a fancy rib steak or simple tzimmes, was absolutely delectable. The General Tso's was saucy, spicy, and delicious

@Yehuda - August 2015:
Great - BBQ chicken nuggets, Baked breaded chicken cutlet, Buffalo chicken wings, Cheese blintzes, Penne ala vodka, Popcorn cauliflower, Roasted potatoes were great.
Okay - Ribs too fatty for me, Fire Poppers Chicken Nuggets too spicy for me, Garlic broccoli, Mashed potatoes
Bad - Roasted asparagus (was white asparagus)

http://yeahthatskosher.com/2014/01/kosher-travel-meals-a-complete-guide-of-options/

https://www.koshwhere.com/en/
Here's how it works:
Use the search bar and fill your destination address (hotel/airport/home/office,etc) , date range and how many guests will eat. View the caterer's kosher certification, select your favorite kosher meals from the caterer's menu for the days you need, choose your delivery preference and make an order
« Last edited by Dan on January 20, 2023, 09:27:30 AM »

Author Topic: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?  (Read 400855 times)

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?
« Reply #540 on: August 11, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
Live in denial and convince yourself of it
Everyone is grateful of anything that you did to help others out. The problem with trolling is when there's a thread where people are discussing one topic, ie what to do about kosher food, they are all aware that they can stay in a jewish neighborhood. However, that's not what the thread is about. If you would like to start a conversation about that, feel free to start a thread in js titled "Stay in LA", until than its very annoying when you break a conversation with comments that try to take the conversation off topic.

Offline Abet rich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #541 on: August 11, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Everyone is grateful of anything that you did to help others out. The problem with trolling is when there's a thread where people are discussing one topic, ie what to do about kosher food, they are all aware that they can stay in a jewish neighborhood. However, that's not what the thread is about. If you would like to start a conversation about that, feel free to start a thread in js titled "Stay in LA", until than its very annoying when you break a conversation with comments that try to take the conversation off topic.
Thank you very much for being normal about it and explaining instead of just blowing up and attacking.
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
Thank you very much for being normal about it and explaining instead of just blowing up and attacking.

Was explained here as well - very nicely.

Huh? That isn't what this thread is for.

This thread is meant for members of the forums to share ideas with each other -  what they do  when they travel to places  that don't have kosher food

Offline Matovu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »
Had my POM meals today.
Thanks Dan again.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 12, 2014, 01:13:43 AM »
Can I suggest a vacation or therapist to get you out to unwind and unstress
does that therapist deal with narcissistic

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #545 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:47 AM »
isnt damaxer the one who introduced pomegranate meals on here?

Offline philbenjoe

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #546 on: August 12, 2014, 07:18:50 AM »
haven't found anywhere that discussed greece or the greek islands. if it was discussed can someone forward me to it. TIA
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 12, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »
Are they kosher?  Are they easy to travel with?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #548 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
@Dan (and everyone else who has ordered):

I have about an hour to get my order in from POM and need recommendations.

Top 5 things?

(Dan, I know you say what you liked in your Banff TR, but everyone is "amazing" "awesome" or the like. Need what was actually amazing :) )
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #549 on: August 12, 2014, 11:30:34 AM »
(Dan, I know you say what you liked in your Banff TR, but everyone is "amazing" "awesome" or the like. Need what was actually amazing :) )
I don't think that's true.  Some items were written as amazing or unbelievable and I meant it. Others are labeled as good, others as dry, etc.
Look at the nuances.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #550 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:04 AM »
I don't think that's true.  Some items were written as amazing or unbelievable and I meant it. Others are labeled as good, others as dry, etc.
Look at the nuances.

True.

If you had to rank them? Like what's not to be missed?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
For reference:

Boneless spare ribs with wild mushroom rice and popcorn cauliflower.  The ribs were moist and delicious, I’d order them anytime in a restaurant.  The popcorn cauliflower was fantastic as well.

Sesame chicken, Chicken Tortellini with pesto sauce, and Balsamic Baby Portabella Mushrooms.  The Sesame chicken was good though it could have used more sauce.  The mushrooms were great and the chicken tortellini was very good as well.

Eggplant Rollatini.  This stuff is unbelievable.  Eggplant loaded with ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It’s probably the best eggplant dish I’ve had in my life.  An absolute must try.

Eggplant Parmesan was the absolute best Eggplent Parmesan I’ve had in my life as well. It’s such a pleasure to eat so well while traveling.

Penne a la Vodka was good, though overshadowed by our massive portions of out of this world Eggplant dishes.

Honey Mustard Corned Beef.  This was a truly awesome mouth-watering dish.  Thick juicy slices of tangy corned beef, it’s a real treat.

Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami was awesome.  The couscous and green beans were good as well.

I wasn’t such a fan of the Sino steak as it was a bit tough.

Fettuccine Alfredo was creamy and fantastic.

Baked Ziti was delicious as well.

Lasagna was good, but not quite up to par as some of the other dairy meals.

Absolutely perfect Chicken Marsala though I wasn’t such a fan of the Shlishkes. The grilled Portabella Mushrooms were very good.

Hot pastrami was very good, but just can’t compete with the honey mustard corned beef.  The Garlic mashed potatoes were phenomenal!

Ancho Marinated Hanger Steak had a fantastic flavor though it got a bit dried out unfortunately.  The grilled vegetables were very good.

The Mac and Cheese was very good, though obviously not as good as when the hotel heats it up for you.

Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Nuggets are outstanding.  The seasonings are just amazing.  The only thing I’d like with it is a dipping sauce so it was perfect that we also had the meatballs below!

Meatballs were very good in a tasty sauce.

Mini stuffed cabbage were excellent as were the roasted potatoes and garlic string beans.

But this was what really blew me away.  The Delmonico steak in a red wine reduction was far superior to the steak that you’ll receive in your local steakhouse.  And when a store figures out how to make a frozen steak that is reheated taste better than what most steakhouses serve I’m left completely speechless.  Plus it’s packed with 2 of my favorite sides-the garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower.

Too bad they don't have the delmonico this week :(

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 12, 2014, 11:49:01 AM »
haven't found anywhere that discussed greece or the greek islands. if it was discussed can someone forward me to it. TIA
In athens there is a pretty good place called gostijo,they have a Small Store in the restuarant and they will also package food for you to take to the islands

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 12, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »
Can each single meal feed 2 people? Or do I need 2 meals?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #554 on: August 12, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
Can each single meal feed 2 people? Or do I need 2 meals?
2 meals can feed 3, but I don't think 1 will feed 2 unless you're pretty light eaters.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 12, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
2 meals can feed 3, but I don't think 1 will feed 2 unless you're pretty light eaters.
+1

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
Everything was good besides the grilled chickens (too dry)

The dairy stuff is Italian Restaurant quality and IMHO one dish is enough for two people (thought the meat dishes are not)

My only issue is that the veg run all over the meat etc when they are heated so the last couple of times I ordered without Veg

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 12, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
I thought the sesame chicken was a bit dry.
The stuffed cabage was very good.
Brisket was just ok.
I had the steak delmonico when it was not officially on the menu. It was delicious. Call them and ask them if they can make it for you.
As dan said the spare ribs were really good.
Chicken lo mein was good.
Cheese blintzes were good.
My wife had one of the pastas and said it was tremendous.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 12, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Will probably do this:

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
Maybe do Chicken Marsala or Glazed dark meat chicken stuffed with pastrami over the Brisket?

What are cheese blintzes (cherry)?

Why microwave for the milchigs?

Get more eggplant rollatini if you even remotely like eggplant.