Author Topic: How to cancel United NYC-TLV Award travel without re-deposit fee?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Hi,  I'm wondering if what would be my best shot to cancel a united NYC-TLV award flight which is scheduled for next week.

Under normal circumstances, if you cancel, you'd get a $150 fee for 120k (saver awards) for the miles to be re-deposited into your account.

Obviously, with the situation now escelating now in Israel, I believe I have quite an excuse which should allow to cancel without any fees. The problem is when i call them they say that I need to cancel online and then submit a special refund form where it only gives the option of using a death (r"l) or illness as a legit refund argument and proof documents need to be uploaded (death certificate, letter of doctor).

How do I go about this?

Offline Reb Moshe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
Re: How to cancel United NYC-TLV Award travel without re-deposit fee?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
Try calling again, it doesnt take them much to waive the redeposit fee, i usually get it on the 1st try (with lame excuses)

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
Try calling again, it doesnt take them much to waive the redeposit fee, i usually get it on the 1st try (with lame excuses)

I've called th united.com help line (1800-396-1751) 4 times now and all the reps are telling me the same.. I first need to cancel and pay the $150 to re-deposit fee and then submit a form at www.united.com/refunds to get it refunded minus $50 (processing / consulting fee).. Problem is that they don't give me an option of war type of emergency.. Only death or illness with documents required to be uploaded...  The last rep said I should just write it in the comments box.. And absolutely not guaranteed..

Which number do you call, and do you cancel prior to calling in?

Offline Reb Moshe

• View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »
I've called th united.com help line (1800-396-1751) 4 times now and all the reps are telling me the same.. I first need to cancel and pay the $150 to re-deposit fee and then submit a form at www.united.com/refunds to get it refunded minus $50 (processing / consulting fee).. Problem is that they don't give me an option of war type of emergency.. Only death or illness with documents required to be uploaded...  The last rep said I should just write it in the comments box.. And absolutely not guaranteed..

Which number do you call, and do you cancel prior to calling in?
The reps are telling you how to refund the $150, you are trying to avoid spending the $150, that can only be done over the phone by telling them to waive it. they have the ability to do that very easily. Dont start off  that you want to get the fee waived, when the rep mentions the fee, just inform them that theres a waiver on the fee as stated on their website. Kind and persistent is the key! the number i call is 18005250280, option 2, 0,0,0,0,0

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »
The reps are telling you how to refund the $150, you are trying to avoid spending the $150, that can only be done over the phone by telling them to waive it. they have the ability to do that very easily. Dont start off  that you want to get the fee waived, when the rep mentions the fee, just inform them that theres a waiver on the fee as stated on their website. Kind and persistent is the key! the number i call is 18005250280, option 2, 0,0,0,0,0

Done!  Thanks so much. Apparently the simple united booking reps give you an easier time then the united.com professional reps...

Offline Reb Moshe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
Done!  Thanks so much. Apparently the simple united booking reps give you an easier time then the united.com professional reps...

:) :) Ur Very welcome

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »
Apparently the simple united booking reps give you an easier time then the united.com professional reps...
I have found this to be true many times for different things.

Offline yoyo6713

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »
Does anyone know or have experience getting re-deposit fees waived/refunded on American Airline?  I had to cancel my Bora Bora vacation due to family sickness.  Thank you.