Author Topic: Craigslist  (Read 13966 times)

Online KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Craigslist
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2019, 10:05:24 PM »
Letgo is very popular these days.
Stuff do sell there.
Worth the try.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
In general, I find Facebook marketplace much better than craiglist in many (but not all) categories.

The main advantage: Most ppl there are real people, and you can gain a lot of info on a person who made an offer before committing. And they probably won't scam you if you have a list of their families and friends.

Another plus is the integrated messages with read recepits.

Making a new clean profile just for selling is easy enough.

Online Therebbesbocher

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
cross-posting because this seems like a good place
I'm looking to buy a used car, and looking through craigslist there are a lot of cars that seem very legit but are significantly underpriced, is there a way of knowing when it's too good to be true and when it's just a guy looking to sell his car?
obviously, I'd only pay in person once I've seen the car (probably with a friend who knows about cars), but was what other things should I look out for, assuming it all checks out?

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »
cross-posting because this seems like a good place
I'm looking to buy a used car, and looking through craigslist there are a lot of cars that seem very legit but are significantly underpriced, is there a way of knowing when it's too good to be true and when it's just a guy looking to sell his car?
obviously, I'd only pay in person once I've seen the car (probably with a friend who knows about cars), but was what other things should I look out for, assuming it all checks out?

Always take it by a mechanic of YOUR choice, if seller doesn't agree run away.
Always check CARFAX by your own, or that you see that's it's running it from the real carfax website, don't trust a paper Carfax preprint from the seller.
And of course the first rule as always is : "if it's to good to be true" run away.

Good luck.

Online Darth1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
Im looking to buy a laptop and found a good deal on Craigslist. The seller said I can meet him (in an upscale shopping center near my house) to look at it before I commit.
What should I look out for?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »
Im looking to buy a laptop and found a good deal on Craigslist. The seller said I can meet him (in an upscale shopping center near my house) to look at it before I commit.
What should I look out for?

Google his email address, reverse lookup his phone number, try to get as much information as you can. Does his job/story check out (reason he said he's selling). From the successful experiences I've had on Craigslist it was always just following my gut.

What condition does he claim the laptop is in? Maybe ask in tech talk for things to look out for?

Also, if he can send you the laptop's serial number you'd have a better idea of when it was purchased (based on warranty expiration) and tech specs. I know you can look that up on Dell.com with the service tag # and I imagine there might be something similar with the other major brands.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
I find with just engaging with the seller asking details about the product you can pretty much always feel out a scam.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/