Author Topic: NY to LA Using Starwood Points - Question  (Read 1979 times)

Offline hkessler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
NY to LA Using Starwood Points - Question
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:29:54 AM »
Hey All,

I've been a big follower of dansdeals, but mostly for the deals. I have a decent amount of Starwood points and my wife and I are looking to take a vacation to LA. I figured we can use our starwood points to fund this trip but I'm a bit confused. It seems that the LanPass OneWorld program would be a good route to take but am I correct? Any other ideas? Whats the best way to get to LA from NY using the least amount of Starwood points?

On a side note, any recommended Starwood Hotels in the LA area?

Herschel

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: NY to LA Using Starwood Points - Question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »
Hey All,

I've been a big follower of dansdeals, but mostly for the deals. I have a decent amount of Starwood points and my wife and I are looking to take a vacation to LA. I figured we can use our starwood points to fund this trip but I'm a bit confused. It seems that the LanPass OneWorld program would be a good route to take but am I correct? Any other ideas? Whats the best way to get to LA from NY using the least amount of Starwood points?

On a side note, any recommended Starwood Hotels in the LA area?

Herschel

Welcome to DD forums.
 Actually you happen to be wrong with your assumption to use Lan for NY to LA, since Lan measures by distance in kilometers, and it's quite far (3983 km each way). Anything in that catagory, will be 27,000 Lan miles each way= 54,000 round trip, which is more than 20,000 spg points will get you.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:56:55 AM »
 depending on the price of a tkt using your SPG pts to get a tkt is usually a pure waste of the pts

for LA itself the the SLS is a Cat6 I think thats 20k a night. however if you dont mind staying out by LAX you can get the 4 pts or Westin for 4k per night Sun-Fri and 3k for Fri & Sat

if you dont mind alittle driving apx 1 hr you can usually get the *Ws by Ontario airport for less then $100 a night with tx. picking up 4 stay credits over mem day weekend myself. every 3 = 1 free night up to a Cat6 hello Florence,Italy

if you want to stay in the Religious areas then I suggest doing some homework on www.betterbidding.com & www.biddingfortravel.com and see if the Crowne plaza is poping up for Beverly Hills its smack in the middle of Pico and Beverly with a shul right across the street and restaurants right around the corner as well as a nice grocery. If U do this PM me and I will explain where you can park nearby for free to aviod the Hotels parking fees

theres new W up in Hollywood but i wouldnt blow my SPG pts for LA especially if you can get Priceline on the cheap

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:02:12 AM »

if you dont mind alittle driving apx 1 hr you can usually get the *Ws by Ontario airport for less then $100 a night with tx. picking up 4 stay credits over mem day weekend myself. every 3 = 1 free night up to a Cat6 hello Florence,Italy

How you picking up "4" stay credits on one weekend? The 3 nights can't be consecutive in the same property, as that's considered one stay, or am I wrong?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:15:41 AM »
How you picking up "4" stay credits on one weekend? The 3 nights can't be consecutive in the same property, as that's considered one stay, or am I wrong?

Thurs,Sat,Sun,Mon there are 3 props over there a 4P (very nice ) a ALoft, and the Sher (a dump) got the 4P at $72+ , the ALoft at $62+ and waiting on the Sher as its a non-refundable but all U need is 2 to play the Game. not far away is a Hertz HLE so no airport taxes and they pick U up and no drop fee to return to the Airport

Plan it right get in Thurs evening and the Hotels shuttle gets U and p/u the car on Fri and save a day of rental, return it on Mon so its Weekend Rates with everything it will cost me $12 a day (not for DD members as I rent Compacts, economy if its cheaper usually not)

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:07 AM »
Thurs,Sat,Sun,Mon there are 3 props over there a 4P (very nice ) a ALoft, and the Sher (a dump) got the 4P at $72+ , the ALoft at $62+ and waiting on the Sher as its a non-refundable but all U need is 2 to play the Game. not far away is a Hertz HLE so no airport taxes and they pick U up and no drop fee to return to the Airport

Plan it right get in Thurs evening and the Hotels shuttle gets U and p/u the car on Fri and save a day of rental, return it on Mon so its Weekend Rates with everything it will cost me $12 a day (not for DD members as I rent Compacts, economy if its cheaper usually not)

The prices you quoted are real spg website prices, in LA? Or are you using some sort of corporate rate?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:25:53 AM »
The prices you quoted are real spg website prices, in LA? Or are you using some sort of corporate rate?

real rates if U know where to look and booked on SPG.com

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:25 AM »
http://www.chabadla.org/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/287569/jewish/Hotels-near-Chabad.htm check out this website it helped when i wanted to stay in pico for shabbos and they helped me with shabbos mealss well
though you dont need help with your meals cause their is alot of take out and stores and restaurants on pico

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:57 AM »
http://www.chabadla.org/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/287569/jewish/Hotels-near-Chabad.htm check out this website it helped when i wanted to stay in pico for shabbos and they helped me with shabbos mealss well
though you dont need help with your meals cause their is alot of take out and stores and restaurants on pico

no need for Chabad in LA, just like NY, unless of cause you are a chabadnik

the Hotels listed are smack in the middle of the Pico-Robertson area but are anything but cheap, thats why I suggested PriceLine and doing ones homework before hand