Author Topic: status matching using virgin atlantic gold & bmi silver  (Read 7726 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: status matching using virgin atlantic gold & bmi silver
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
well UA and AA from what I know wont Top Comp,CO does depending on which other Carrier you have TOP with. But I understand the game playing but I also know a # of people who tried by switching addresses etc etc and CO still found them out, not saying they will get everyone But I have no probs earning it the hard way with BIS. Besides if a person isnt going to be flying all over why bother

same with SPG the past few yrs it could have been had with 13 stays at a min. Next weekend in LA should throw me off now 5 stays if I can get somewhere tommorrow night at $69. So 3 for 1 free weekend  and earning a nice amount of pts isnt so bad.No sense having a Million $$$ is all your gonna do with it is keep it locked up and every so often look at it = no sense having Top Level if it wont be used on a constant basis,IMO
I disagree.
I take probably 18 trips a year, but even if I flew once a year it would be worth having CO Platinum just for the benefits for that trip.

Not worth paying $$$$ for, but if you can have it why do you need to constantly use it to make it worthwhile? I guess I'm not following the logic.

Or if you make 1 hotel trip, why not have Hyatt Diamond so that you can get a suite with free wi-fi, club access, and a free fully catered kosher breakfast?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
I disagree.
I take probably 18 trips a year, but even if I flew once a year it would be worth having CO Platinum just for the benefits for that trip.

Not worth paying $$$$ for, but if you can have it why do you need to constantly use it to make it worthwhile? I guess I'm not following the logic.

Or if you make 1 hotel trip, why not have Hyatt Diamond so that you can get a suite with free wi-fi, club access, and a free fully catered kosher breakfast?

I hear ya

what % of your 18 trips are Long Haul = Intl or TranCons? If the bulk is say a 2hr flight (meaning the Destination is a 2hr flight since a V or > or < or ^ can usually be done to get there and require 2 or 3 flights

my pt is for short hops all it will basically do is get a person 1 free bag and a CC can accomplish that even w/o paying the Annual fee. All too often I find these days that the Non-Elite line by TSA @ a Hub moves alot faster then the Elite Access line does

Clubs well for my recent TLV flight in BF I barely made it to the Gate in time with a Do Not Stop do Not even Thinking of Stopping at the PC which my BF alone would have gained me entrance

IMO bout the best Benefit is some extra avaialbility for Saver Pass or if someone doesnt mind paying EasyPass , yet for when I needed to bring someone in from LA in Aug the flights were empty and being Plat didnt really show me anything that couldnt have been booked by a non-Plat. thou in the end we did use a return on a day we didnt want but had no choice as nothing else was showing and that was due to being Elite and not being Plat

a couple of yrs ago it meant alot more then it does today,thats why my yearly total with CO stands at 0 EQMs. Doing 2 SYD runs in Aug with UA will requalify me with them, although @ .039 I would have liked it to have been less (the 2 runs alone is not enough, unless DEQM comes back and I dont expect that at all for the rest of '10)

as for Hotels too many times the only way you get anything is by hassling them at check-in, then if like me its for 1 night only whats the Point!? Unless youre at a Resort the # of Jr Suites or Suites is but maybe  a few at best. Im convinced most people want it either for wallet canndy to brag or to impress themselves so they think they are a VIP. I want it simply if I will earn extra pts if I have it otherwsie it isnt worth much to me, and most progarms today theres very little difference between the Middle level and the Top level

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »
CO Plat gets 3 free 70 pound bags, free same day changes, decent upgrade chances, free award redeposits, etc.
True, if you don't fly it's not worth anything, but even for 1 flight it's worthwhile.

And you really do need to try checking in at the Park Hyatt Paris or Grand Hyatt Kauai, etc. as a diamond...it's truly a status that means something.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
CO Plat gets 3 free 70 pound bags, free same day changes, decent upgrade chances, free award redeposits, etc.
True, if you don't fly it's not worth anything, but even for 1 flight it's worthwhile.

And you really do need to try checking in at the Park Hyatt Paris or Grand Hyatt Kauai, etc. as a diamond...it's truly a status that means something.

I agree with You that Hyatt is way above the other Middle Tier Hotels (HH,MR SPG PC) but way below others as well. Problem is not all Hyatts are the same and most arent where I want to be

How was getting lost in VCE I hope you did thats 1/2 the fun of being there, did the E&R come thru for U. also keep in mind I travel alone and scoring a top notch room isnt as important as it is to U now. But Ive had a few in my day and since 99.99% of my stays are 1 nighters it usually doesnt matter that much, especially here in the US.

I ended up with 2 bags to TLV both weighing 70 lbs together and when she asked me to take 1 off so she can see teh weight I went DUH! if 2 weigh 70.5 why do I have to remove either, after a few secs she followed me and said Dumb of me wasnt it, I said nay just you guys are robots and dont always think

forget the UPs they are history! :-(   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:03:26 PM by steve2 »

Offline md

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 12:41:31 AM »
If a diamond member books for someone else,will they get a suite upgrade? Same question for SPG platinum?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 01:25:39 AM »
If a diamond member books for someone else,will they get a suite upgrade? Same question for SPG platinum?
If they do it right.

Offline md

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 07:23:34 AM »
If they do it right.
Pardon my ignorance, can you please elaborate?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, can you please elaborate?
If someone wants to book any stays through me I'll be glad to do it right  :D

Offline sprint

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »
Gonna hold you to that Dan... ;D

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
If someone wants to book any stays through me I'll be glad to do it right  :D
Nice way to get lots of stays.

Offline edgeman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
did anyone lose their bmi silver status yet?

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »
funny that you mention that... i checked 2 days ago and it was still active. i asked a few people about it... i think it would be better to not ask these questions and be happy the way it is!  ;)
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 01:16:49 AM »
i added my bmi number to my continental flight and the agent said that it shows up as *s
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline RelatedToMendy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
so far  gold medallion on delta they never sent me an email even just fax your info to them, I checked my account a week or so later and there it was. I also got Premier Executive status with united for 90 days here's the letter they sent. I don't know if I would do Continental just because you'll never be able to match again with this account and I dont need it now.

Can you me exactly how you were able to get the Status Match?
Thanks!

Offline isac

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat
Re: Airline Elite Status
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »
if i live in israel,and have bmi silver, which other airlines can i get elite with?

Offline edgeman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:57 PM »
I used my virgin atlantic gold status to get continental and delta gold status. With BMI you may be able to get a united chalenge with status that will last 90 days.

Offline interested

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
Dan, thanks for the information that the best time to status match on continental is after the beginning of July.
I have platinum status on continental which i earned the hard way, and platinum status on delta (which i have no miles in) which was matched from my continental account. they are both expiring this February. do you have any ideas how i can keep platinum status in the *A, and when the best time to match would be.
again thanks to all the posters who always take the time to help other people out.