Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
The local supermarkets (e.g. Nesters or IGA in Banff) have many kosher shelf products.

There's frozen chicken and some meat products here, also a kosher aisle of dry foods: Safeway Glenmore Landing - 1600 90 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8, Canada

Synagogue:
None, though check GoDaven for temporary minyanim

Things to Do:

Download the GuideAlong app (formerly known as GyPSy Guide) and purchase the package for the Canadian Rockies Tours for $24.99. This self-paced guided audio tour covers Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Jasper National Park and more. It's an incredibly useful and informative app.

Banff
Johnston Canyon hike, Upper Falls recommended, 2 hr round trip.
Banff Gondola, take boardwalk (15 min, spread out stairs) to peak for amazing views
Mountain Biking - e.g. Tunnel Bench Loop (moderate, lots of fun with great views)
Bow Falls and Bow River
Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake loop drive - boat cruise tour and speedboat rentals available

Lake Louise (45 min drive from Banff)
Shoreline trail walk
Canoe rentals
Lake Agnes teahouse hike (moderate, 2.5 hrs round-trip, can continue to Little Beehive or Big Beehive)
Plain of 6 Glaciers hike (moderate, 5-6 hrs round trip, Tea House along the way)
Lake Louise gondola

Moraine Lake (30 min drive south from LL)
2023 Update: Access by personal vehicle to Morraine Lake is no longer allowed. The only options to get to Morraine Lake are by Canada Parks Shuttle, private Lake Morraine bussing companies, and maybe a private tour bus. Local Banff bus service (Roam) may also have a shuttle to Morraine in addition to their service to Lake Louise. Reservations for busses get booked up early, so plan at least 3-4 days ahead. [Parking is extremely limited, arrive very early or later in the day, road is closed when parking is full.]
Walk along lake
Canoe rentals sometimes available
Rockpile climb to great viewpoint

Athabasca Glacier Adventure (90 min drive from Lake Louise or Jasper)
Early arrival recommended (first tour is at 10:30am, book online in advance)
2 hour duration, bring bottle to drink glacier water
Wear layers, temperature is unpredictable
Skywalk is a tourist trap, you can skip it and stay on bus to return to parking lot

Icefields Parkway drive from Athabasca Glacier to Banff with scenic stops:
Parker Ridge trail 2-hour round-trip hike (medium difficulty, uphill climb)
Peyto Lake viewed from Bow Summit (cars must park in lower lot and walk 10 min, but later in the day the upper lot can be used)
Mistaya Canyon (beautiful pull-off hike along Icefields Pkwy. Hike is about 10 minutes down to a powerful river rushing through a canyon with waterfalls)
Bow Lake (quick pullout stop)

Jasper

Yoho National Park
Takakkaw Falls
Emerald Lake
Natural Bridge

Hotels:

Getting Around:
A car is basically a must, though there are shuttles from Banff to the major attractions.
The nearest commercial airport is Calgary (YYC), a 90 min drive from Banff.

Notes:

Author Topic: Banff and Jasper Master Thread  (Read 159129 times)

Offline Ddf2022

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt globalist
Re: Banff and Jasper Master Thread
« Reply #680 on: June 25, 2023, 12:28:35 AM »
Can you bring meat into Calgary from USA?

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 25, 2023, 05:47:56 PM »

Yes, up to 20 kg. Packaging must identify the meat and state that it's an American product.

Due to the recent bird flu, poultry must be in retail packaging. I assume the type of packaging that would make tampering obvious, like Empire does when sold in ShopRite/Trader Joes.
It states: Hatched, Raised and Harvested in the USA

See here: https://inspection.canada.ca/food-safety-for-consumers/bringing-food-into-canada-for-personal-use/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362

Note that you can buy frozen meat and chicken in Calgary at Sobey's Bridlewood and possibly at Safeway Glenmore Landing.

Offline emineh17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 06, 2023, 03:11:22 PM »
I'm heading to Calgary/Banff next week with my family.
3 kids aged 10,7, and 3.

I have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning to travel around Banff and I'm staying at the Kananaskis Mountain Lodge.

What are the absolute must-do things that I can fit into those days that are kids friendly?

Offline Ddf2022

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt globalist
« Reply #683 on: July 09, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »
Is anyone staying in the Fairmont château lake Louise this summer? It’s impossible to get a parking spot by Lake Louise, so I wanted to know if somebody was staying in the Fairmont I would be able to park at the hotel under their reservation. I would obviously pay for the parking, but you need to be a hotel guest to even have the option. I spoke to the hotel. If you have a reservation, you can park multiple cars.

TIA

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 26, 2023, 05:30:06 PM »
I'm heading to Calgary/Banff next week with my family.
3 kids aged 10,7, and 3.

I have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning to travel around Banff and I'm staying at the Kananaskis Mountain Lodge.

What are the absolute must-do things that I can fit into those days that are kids friendly?

A friend made this a few years ago for visitors that come to the area. It has a full list of things to do, hard to know what to choose.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 26, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »

When we lived in Calgary, we used to bring a suitcase of meat and cheese every time we flew out and back in. 50 lbs fits into a sports duffle packed very tightly, and everything must be frozen solid before you go. When the airplane is flying, it is -70 outside, so everything stays pretty cold. The shredded chesse often ends up refrigerator cold after a flight. Pack smart, the most perishable stuff in the center. Declare everything at the border and it is all exempt from taxes.

Offline casualchurner

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 04, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »
Is anyone staying in the Fairmont château lake Louise this summer? It’s impossible to get a parking spot by Lake Louise, so I wanted to know if somebody was staying in the Fairmont I would be able to park at the hotel under their reservation. I would obviously pay for the parking, but you need to be a hotel guest to even have the option. I spoke to the hotel. If you have a reservation, you can park multiple cars.

TIA
Just went to Lake Louise on Wednesday. We got there at about 2 in the afternoon. They are extremely strict about parking. Parking is no longer allowed at all on the road heading up to LL. This includes the Fairmont and all the smaller places along the road. The parking attendants seemed to be alternating between allowing some cars in and not allowing others. If they don't allow you in, there is no option to wait around or keep circling; they send you right back down the road, where there are cones by each turnoff not allowing you to pull a U-turn. BH we were allowed in and we found a spot right away, but I guess we were really lucky. We waited on line for a canoe for 45 minutes, which I also hear is not too bad. Canoe rental was CA$155 for 1 hour, which was  enough time for us.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 06, 2023, 02:47:46 AM »
Just went to Lake Louise on Wednesday. We got there at about 2 in the afternoon. They are extremely strict about parking. Parking is no longer allowed at all on the road heading up to LL. This includes the Fairmont and all the smaller places along the road. The parking attendants seemed to be alternating between allowing some cars in and not allowing others. If they don't allow you in, there is no option to wait around or keep circling; they send you right back down the road, where there are cones by each turnoff not allowing you to pull a U-turn. BH we were allowed in and we found a spot right away, but I guess we were really lucky. We waited on line for a canoe for 45 minutes, which I also hear is not too bad. Canoe rental was CA$155 for 1 hour, which was  enough time for us.
A lot easier if you either come early in the morning or late in the afternoon. An added benefit is thinner crowds. Alternately you can take the shuttle.

Offline casualchurner

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 10, 2023, 06:02:38 AM »
A lot easier if you either come early in the morning or late in the afternoon. An added benefit is thinner crowds. Alternately you can take the shuttle.
Agreed. By the time we left LL (maybe around 4) there were plenty of open spots in the lot. We drove to the ice fields the day before and had an early start, so we wanted a slow morning on that day. We figured we’ll drive to LL and try our luck. BH it worked out.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 10, 2023, 09:23:11 AM »

I been there a few times, although not in recent years.  Used to drive in early morning and to do some all day hikes. I particularly love going to Moraine Lake, (which is extremely more scenic than Lake Louise), then I take the trail to Consolation Lake, and have done the other trails that start there.

See:  https://www.banfflakelouise.com/experiences/moraine-lake

and then the easy trail to Consolation Lake from there: https://www.travelbanffcanada.com/consolation-lakes-trail/

And the more intense hiking trails:

https://hikingwalking.com/index.php/destinations/ab/ab_rockies/banff/sentinel_pass/sentinel_pass_detail

http://www.hikingwalking.com/destinations/ab/ab_rockies/banff/paradise_sentinel

http://www.hikingwalking.com/destinations/ab/ab_rockies/lake_louise/

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 26, 2023, 08:01:05 PM »
Banff area is apparently getting a Chabad:

https://collive.com/veteran-shluchim-pioneering-a-new-frontier/
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline TDR

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 28, 2024, 05:18:28 PM »
I’ll be in the Canadian rockies from Sunday to thursday. I plan on doing banff one day (monday), Lake louise another  day (Tuesday)and the colombian icefields on another. Those are my main days. Is it worth it to really push myself to go up all the way to Jasper national park which is an hour and a half north of the ice fields. stay overnight Wednesday in Jasper and then see Jasper national park on Thursday morning. Then I would need to take a looong drive to edmonton airport (like 4 4.5 hours). Or should I just spend Thursday in banff as there is a lot to see and nothing crazy special in jasper. The accommodations are not as good in Jasper and there is no chabad. (which now serves a hot breakfast and is getting a full menu!)
Any tips appreciated!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #692 on: March 28, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
I’ll be in the Canadian rockies from Sunday to thursday. I plan on doing banff one day (monday), Lake louise another  day (Tuesday)and the colombian icefields on another. Those are my main days. Is it worth it to really push myself to go up all the way to Jasper national park which is an hour and a half north of the ice fields. stay overnight Wednesday in Jasper and then see Jasper national park on Thursday morning. Then I would need to take a looong drive to edmonton airport (like 4 4.5 hours). Or should I just spend Thursday in banff as there is a lot to see and nothing crazy special in jasper. The accommodations are not as good in Jasper and there is no chabad. (which now serves a hot breakfast and is getting a full menu!)
Any tips appreciated!
Sounds like you already decided  ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline TDR

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 28, 2024, 05:47:17 PM »
Haha :D, I know Jasper is nice my question really was if someone did it do they think I should stretch for it, as its an entirely diff national park and does have things that Banff doesnt

Offline The Thinker

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 28, 2024, 07:37:07 PM »
I was there sukkos time and Jasper is where we saw the most wildlife. Lots of moose, elk and rams. We also had a night flight from Edmonton and were able to see the northern lights faintly from the plane. If you do decide to go, there is a National Park called Elk Island that is 45 min away from Edmonton airport and has dark skies (and buffalo).

Offline TDR

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 29, 2024, 08:47:28 AM »
Thanks! I can be only for a few hours in the morning and I'm not as into that wildlife, I'm going for for sights, were there any sights that were must see that you couldn't get a feel for in Banff national park and the rest of the Canadian Rockies? I will obviously hit the Colombian ice fields but not sure if Jasper has must sees that you can't see in banff

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #696 on: March 29, 2024, 09:23:00 AM »
Thanks! I can be only for a few hours in the morning and I'm not as into that wildlife, I'm going for for sights, were there any sights that were must see that you couldn't get a feel for in Banff national park and the rest of the Canadian Rockies? I will obviously hit the Colombian ice fields but not sure if Jasper has must sees that you can't see in banff
Just skip Jasper. No need to drive yourself crazy to go there.

Yes, the drive to Jasper and back is beautiful though:

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)