Author Topic: China introduces 72-hour visa-free transit in Beijing as of January 1, 2013  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Finckmyster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Via Business Traveller, China has just announced that as of January 1, 2013, it will be possible to have a 72-hour transit in Beijing without a visa for residents of 45 countries (including the US). The article does say that tourists will have to register with their visa at a police station within 24 hours, though I’m not sure how strictly that’s enforced.

Now, for what it’s worth I don’t think this will work for those doing mileage runs with direct turns to the United States. Shanghai currently offers a 48 visa-free transit, though you have to be continuing onwards to a third country. After all, if you’re arriving from the US and continuing straight back to the US you’re not really in transit. Though I’d love to be wrong, as that would be great news for mileage runners.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
that could be quite helpful for those in hkg that want to visit shenzen, i wonder if you have to prove transit

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
that could be quite helpful for those in hkg that want to visit shenzen, i wonder if you have to prove transit

Yes, and they have become very stringent.

In HK you can get a visa same-day but it will cost you a pretty penny.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Yes, and they have become very stringent.

this is a new development, unless youre referring to shanghai?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
this is a new development, unless youre referring to shanghai?
Shanghai
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Is anyone here familiar with the  72-hour Visa-free Transit?

If I take a plane from Hong Kong to Guangzhou and head to Taiwan all within 72 hours, will that work? Also, is it a headache at arrival getting through customs with the 72 hour transit pass?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Why wouldn't that work?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• View Profile
Why wouldn't that work?
My itinerary would be a bit more complicated.

PHN-HKG-CAN-HKG-TPE-HND-LAX

The question is if i can enter CAN by plane, and take the train to HKG, then a flight from HKG to TPE etc....

Now the question is, if the flight originates in Hong Kong and departs from Hong Kong to TPE, will that be considered a transit?

According to I read you have to arrive from one location and depart to another.

If needed i would just arrive in HKG and depart from CAN to TPE, but that will require me to change my itinerary

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

The question is if i can enter CAN by plane, and take the train to HKG, then a flight from HKG to TPE etc....

Now the question is, if the flight originates in Hong Kong and departs from Hong Kong to TPE, will that be considered a transit?

If needed i would just arrive in HKG and depart from CAN to TPE, but that will require me to change my itinerary
Why didn't you say that in the first place?
I don't think that will work, you need proof of an outbound flight direct to a 3rd country.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline 1050BU

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Cannot go back to HKG..

Need to go HKG-CAN-TPE. Gotta go straight to the 3rd country without going back to the first

Offline Hershelsdeals

• View Profile
Cannot go back to HKG..

Need to go HKG-CAN-TPE. Gotta go straight to the 3rd country without going back to the first

Why didn't you say that in the first place?
I don't think that will work, you need proof of an outbound flight direct to a 3rd country.
If i travel HKG -CAN than CAN-Tokyo on a 5 HR connection in HKG, that really wont work?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not a chance