Author Topic: Star Alliance Award Search Tips  (Read 830604 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Star Alliance Award Search Tips
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
With UA: If I do a US domestic leg in J/F and then a US-EU in Y (multicity), will it price the whole trip as J, or will there be some sort of pshara.

Example. IAH-IAD in J/F <connection> IAD-FRA in Y.

Always prices at the highest cabin you are using

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
Always prices at the highest cabin you are using

You could try cutting it into two trips, I'l pretty sure it pays off sometimes.

Offline Devorah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
I am trying to book an award with Aeroplan, but they are not coming up with all the flight options that I see on UA.  Is there anything I can do to get those flights?  I've tried calling and they tell me that they can't see it.  Also, they tell me that they cannot search by segment (i.e if I'm looking to go NYC-MEL, they can't search NYC-LAX and LAX-MEL separately which brings up more options).  Is that true or should I try calling back and speaking to another agent?

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:52 AM »
Call again.

Tell them you just spoke to an agent who told you these flights are available (the ones you see on UA) and you just needed a minute to confirm that the timings were OK.

Offline Devorah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2012, 03:01:21 AM »
Call again.

Tell them you just spoke to an agent who told you these flights are available (the ones you see on UA) and you just needed a minute to confirm that the timings were OK.
Even if it's not coming up on aeroplan.com but is coming up on united.com.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »
@devorah, lately UA had a problem that their site showed more availability than there actualy was.

I believe its fixed now.

Offline jas1285

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 14, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »
I am planning a safari to S. Africa NEXT summer, obviously to early to book flights now. I looked at the us Airway award chart and if I change the 60k SPG I will have enough for a ticket to Africa in business. I looked at United, ANA and Air Canada for random dates to see routing (I assume it’s 110k no matter how I get there as long as I book through US Airways)and there don’t seem to be any consistent awards tickets to get there, especially on business. Is there a better way to figure out if it’s worth it, or should I just look into oneworld instead? Thanks

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 14, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
I am planning a safari to S. Africa NEXT summer, obviously to early to book flights now. I looked at the us Airway award chart and if I change the 60k SPG I will have enough for a ticket to Africa in business. I looked at United, ANA and Air Canada for random dates to see routing (I assume it’s 110k no matter how I get there as long as I book through US Airways)and there don’t seem to be any consistent awards tickets to get there, especially on business. Is there a better way to figure out if it’s worth it, or should I just look into oneworld instead? Thanks
Look for availability leg by leg
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jas1285

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
Look for availability leg by leg
Do you think Star Alliance is better than one world?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 14, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
Do you think Star Alliance is better than one world?
Probably no clear cut answer, BA has great availability, but not so much to SA IME
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:31 PM »
Hi, I have 50k MR points.  I'd like to book a coach ticket from phily to tlv and use the points to upgrade to business. 
I'd like to fly continental or US. If I transfer the points to US, can I still fly with continental? (bec MR doesn't transfer to continental.)
Thank you in advance.

(My parents have US platinum if that matters)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 14, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Hi, I have 50k MR points.  I'd like to book a coach ticket from phily to tlv and use the points to upgrade to business. 
I'd like to fly continental or US. If I transfer the points to US, can I still fly with continental? (bec MR doesn't transfer to continental.)
Thank you in advance.

(My parents have US platinum if that matters)
mr doesn't transfer to us, you gotta use aeroplan. Search aeroplan partner award for restrictions

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
You generally can't use points to upgrade travel on another carrier.
Also currently you can transfer MR to US at a half-decent ratio thanks to the MR-SPG and SPG-US promotions.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
mr doesn't transfer to us, you gotta use aeroplan. Search aeroplan partner award for restrictions

The first post in this thread doesn't say anything about aeroplan so I'm assuming its not a star alliance member.
So how would that help me?

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »
You generally can't use points to upgrade travel on another carrier.
Also currently you can transfer MR to US at a half-decent ratio thanks to the MR-SPG and SPG-US promotions.

Thanks. So MR doesn't transfer directly to US but it does transfer through spg, correct?

Also, I guess I wont be flying continental bec upgrade wont work, but I guess US should be okay.

Thanks again

Offline jas1285

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
I will be booking a trip to South Africa in a year. I want to wait to make that decision but I don't want to pass up on this spg to US Airways deal. Should I transfer points now and hope for the best or just wait and book something with One world.
Other question: US Airways says it is 110k in miles to get to SA in business, does that mean no matter what airline or route I take to get there is will be 110K, no more no less?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Thanks. So MR doesn't transfer directly to US but it does transfer through spg, correct?

Also, I guess I wont be flying continental bec upgrade wont work, but I guess US should be okay.

Thanks again

On US, unless you buy a full-fare (Y or B class), it'll cost you 40,000 miles plus $300 co-pay, IIRC.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
I will be booking a trip to South Africa in a year. I want to wait to make that decision but I don't want to pass up on this spg to US Airways deal. Should I transfer points now and hope for the best or just wait and book something with One world.
Other question: US Airways says it is 110k in miles to get to SA in business, does that mean no matter what airline or route I take to get there is will be 110K, no more no less?
Basically yes. The routing has to make sense, but US reps are pretty clueless.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »
On US, unless you buy a full-fare (Y or B class), it'll cost you 40,000 miles plus $300 co-pay, IIRC.

Your correct about the fees and mileage costs, I just saw that on US's site - but what's "Y/B full fare class" ?
Isn't a regular coach ticket a full class fare?
Also, this may not be the proper thread for this, but if my parents are platinum, does that wave the $300 upgrade fee? (If this isn't the right place,  please direct me to the proper thread)
Thanks again

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »
Your correct about the fees and mileage costs, I just saw that on US's site - but what's "Y/B full fare class" ?
Isn't a regular coach ticket a full class fare?

Definitely not. A full-fare is a refundable ticket and can easily be 3-4x the price of a discounted coach fare.

Also, this may not be the proper thread for this, but if my parents are platinum, does that wave the $300 upgrade fee? (If this isn't the right place,  please direct me to the proper thread)
Thanks again

I'm not positive, but I don't believe having US Platinum elite status will waive the co-pay.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper