Author Topic: Star Alliance Award Search Tips  (Read 830585 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Star Alliance Award Search Tips
« Reply #680 on: November 25, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
UA releases seats much closer in than that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 26, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
Does UA block SQ coach?
SQ25 is not available for any redemptions on any date.
I find it hard to believe that this is on SQ's end of things...

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 26, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »

about 2 months before planned departure date? even in the summer?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 26, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
Yes, I guess I could have pointed out that the colors (or the lack thereof) indicate saver availability, but I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that that was common knowledge.

Another obvious tidbit for thought: Both my post and the post it linked to discussed ONLY saver awards.
???there seems to be some misunderstanding.  The quote you sent me from Dan does not even mention the word SAVER and the article you sent me actually discusses Standard awards(I just reread article)

Let me try and explain again.   The colors may indicate saver award space but they wont be nonstop flights even if you check off nonstop flights because there might not be any flights of this nature available.  Instead United will display nonstop STANDARD award flights and connecting SAVER award flights.   What I was trying to do was have United display only nonstop saver awards which wont happen unless you find the exact date that has both a nonstop and saver award flight and then search from that date

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #684 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
???there seems to be some misunderstanding.  The quote you sent me from Dan does not even mention the word SAVER and the article you sent me actually discusses Standard awards(I just reread article)

Let me try and explain again.   The colors may indicate saver award space but they wont be nonstop flights even if you check off nonstop flights because there might not be any flights of this nature available.  Instead United will display nonstop STANDARD award flights and connecting SAVER award flights.   What I was trying to do was have United display only nonstop saver awards which wont happen unless you find the exact date that has both a nonstop and saver award flight and then search from that date

And I quote:

…you can ask united.com to return only direct results. I use this option all the time. Whether I want a direct flight for convenience, or I am searching segment-by-segment for a dream business class product, it is very useful.

But it has a major flaw. If you search a direct flight, and the direct flight that day doesn’t have award space, then the calendar won’t show you what days the direct flight does have award space.

This is where you trick united.com into displaying the calendar with only direct flights on it. To do that, you need to find a day that does have direct flight award space.

The bottom of the page lets you re-search. I search for a date that is likely to have award space. I know that winter is off peak to Europe, so Lufthansa releases more seats, so I searched a date in February, again checking the Nonstop box.

I picked a winner. There is award space that day on the direct flight. Of course, we want to fly in June not February, but now the calendar is showing space only on the direct flight and we can easily move the calendar’s dates.

June doesn’t have any award space. This trick can’t solve that, but it does let us know that without having to search every day in June individually. And we can see that there is space on the direct flight the last week of May in business class (blue) and economy the week before (yellow).

Recap:

It’s a bummer we have to trick united.com into showing direct-flight availability only on its calendar in some case, but that is the current state of things. When you run into the problem, search for direct-flight availability on a likely date in the off peak season.

When you find one date with availability in any cabin, you can get the calendar to display direct-only availability by searching the date that has availability with the Nonstop Only box checked. Once you have the calendar displaying the flight you want, you can toggle to find the months you want.

Despite this going back and forth for a dozen or so posts, the answer to your question, as I maintained all along and have now illustrated in detail, was in my very first response.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 26, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Dan, do you have any experience w/ UA opening up seats ex-CLE close to the date? 12/1 is showing an incredible death of space to all *A hubs except for YYZ.
ORD and PHL would be great.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #686 on: November 26, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
Dan, do you have any experience w/ UA opening up seats ex-CLE close to the date? 12/1 is showing an incredible death of space to all *A hubs except for YYZ.
ORD and PHL would be great.
If there are rev seats for sale it'll open.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 26, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
If there are rev seats for sale it'll open.
How soon? It's the first leg of a Thailand trip for family and I can't wait till the last moment.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 26, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
How soon? It's the first leg of a Thailand trip for family and I can't wait till the last moment.
Prob within 24.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 26, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
Prob within 24.
within 24 hrs of now, or of the flight?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #690 on: November 26, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Obv flight.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »
Obv flight.
Obvious to you, but not to those who operate at a slower speed than you.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 26, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »
24 hours to flight.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 26, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

Drago, I spent two years of my life trying to keep up with you.

Don't try and turn the tables, papi.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 26, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
24 hours to flight.
Thanks!

Drago, I spent two years of my life trying to keep up with you.

Don't try and turn the tables, papi.
The times are a' changin my friend. You're a sharp lawyer, and I'm a slodgy gov employee  :)

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 26, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »

from years past you think there is a chance there will be nonstop economy saver award seats for May and June?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 26, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »
from years past you think there is a chance there will be nonstop economy saver award seats for May and June?

I'd link you to a thread discussing that, but well, we know how that will end :P

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 27, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »
I'd link you to a thread discussing that, but well, we know how that will end :P
  You  can refer me to the link and there wont be any going back and forth but when you state that article discusses ONLY saver awards when it clearly does not then  there was some back and forth. My point still stands that I wanted to know how to search a COMBO of nonstop and saver and your links and advice revolved around nonstop flights.  But thanks for links and advice I do appreciate it but leave the tongue and cheek off  :P no pun intended :)

\

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 27, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
I'm looking to book a flight pesach BZ using AMEX (ANA) points.
I am having trouble finding the following legs using ANA search engine;
3/18-23 TLV-LHR
LHR-CDG
5/4ish AMS-TLV
etc
I guess my q is if I find on other search engines is there way to book on ANA, (I know I can book ANA on United what about vice versa?)?
If yes where to look?
and is there somewhere I can find all *A flights paths that would be bookable on ANA?

Offline Kabrams1618

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 28, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
Most basic of questions
How do I actually go about using my points to get a ticket from a partner airline?