Author Topic: Disputing a Payment to an Airline for a Cancelled Flight.  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Disputing a Payment to an Airline for a Cancelled Flight.
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
Hi. my brother bought a ticket on delta.com and when he got to the airport they told him that the flight was cancelled because there was a problem with the oxygen on the plane. he asked for a refund and conpensation (bc after all it wasn't weather related; it was their fault) and they said no, they are not giving anything. so he had to go and buy another ticket on a different airline.

what would be the best thing to do here? should we call the Amex or try to call the airline and see what we can get out of them?
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Disputing a Payment to an Airline for a Cancelled Flight.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »
If everything is the way you say, try both!

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
Cholent something doesnt add up

I got into SFO a 1/2 hr early and was just notified my noon flight will now leavr at 1:30pm if we are lucky (heavy rain storms just pasased thru) I cant simply go and purchase another tkt on another carrier unless I dont mind spending the extra $$.

I cant believe that DL didnt protect them on another DL flight/s. If he doesnt like the new accomdations and they are on a Non-Refundable its not that a person can simply go do what they please an dexpect DL or any other Carrier to reimburse them

How long was the delay that he wanted Compensation? They might have ben able to claim "A Trip in Vain" with the new arrangements but what DL offered up you havent posted, so no way to tell

But generally if a person on their own goes and purchases anew tkt usually it will end up being their Expensive. So if a new tkt was $500 and the old was $200 , if they are lucky theymight get the $200 back as a refund or travel cert but no way the additional $399 they paid out w/o having been authorized to do so

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
they CANCELLED the flight. and the only next avail flight would be the next day and he had to be at his destination that same day. so he bought a flight from a different airline.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
they CANCELLED the flight. and the only next avail flight would be the next day and he had to be at his destination that same day. so he bought a flight from a different airline.

so then he should have had them move him to another Carrier.U know U posted they said they wont do anything, which doesnt sound right to me unless he was on an Award Tkt and even then at times it can be done

Hes gonna have an UpHill battle since on his own he purchased the new tkt. Disputing it with his CC is best and to let them know flying the next day would have been Pointless since he Needed to be that same day and thusly he wouldnt have gone at all. So if its as U say it is he will most likely get the $$ back for the DL tkt

Id say theres a very good chance hes SOL on the difference in fares paid, unless theres something he has in writing where DL authorized it

I know it STINKS but thats how it is, just got informed my flight was just pushed back another hr so now its a 2:30pm departure and its WX so all I can do is wait it out, good thing I had nothing planned or had to be anywhere in particular

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
Delta  ::)

Maybe hire Mendel for some help  ;D
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=2001.0
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:22:19 PM »
Delta  ::)

Maybe hire Mendel for some help  ;D
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=2001.0

I still dont believe that he was able to suceed. I also still cant help but feel that mendel showed up at JFK 60 mins before his flight thinking well  they. Hr also posted a few days later asking how can he get Silver status, so much for being a good customer. but if what he posted is true (i dont doubt it) after enogh calls etc he won, I dont know why DL simply didnt check his acct to see he was a Greenhorn

If mendel was Correct if the carousel broke and DL simply was over whelmed, also Mendel accepted a flight for the next day and didnt simply go and purchase another tkt on his own

If I would go now and either purchase a tkt on another carrier to get me to my final destination or get them to change the airport to fly into, Id be on my own $$ wise to get to where I was suppose be. Doing something on ones own will usually result in just that , having to bear the express.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:33:13 AM by Dan »

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
Once you have a flight, whether mileage or full fare, concerning delays and cancellations, it doesn't matter whether your tix is full fare or award.

@ least by star alliance that is. 

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »
Once you have a flight, whether mileage or full fare, concerning delays and cancellations, it doesn't matter whether your tix is full fare or award.

@ least by star alliance that is. 
OP's issue is with Delta, normally a different ball game.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
There is no hefkayrus. As long as they push off a flight, I believe up to 3(:30) hours, they can get out of paying. However, once over it, and for sure if cancelled, with out a flight the same day, they have to sort you out.

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
I was scheduled on a flight for 11:50 this morning (American) and as of now its delayed till 2:10 .
I understand that situations can happen (in this case its weather related) but they should have notified me. when I asked for an explanation the agent at the gate says that there is no email info in my itinerary . I tried to show her the email that they sent me when it was booked and then again yesterday a link to check in. she was nasty and refused to look at it. (I also have my email in my profile Mieage acct
any ideas what. can be done?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
I was scheduled on a flight for 11:50 this morning (American) and as of now its delayed till 2:10 .
I understand that situations can happen (in this case its weather related) but they should have notified me. when I asked for an explanation the agent at the gate says that there is no email info in my itinerary . I tried to show her the email that they sent me when it was booked and then again yesterday a link to check in. she was nasty and refused to look at it. (I also have my email in my profile Mieage acct

Why not send them a complaint via the AA site:
https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewContactAAAccess.do?selectedFileName=aaCustomerRelations.html&selectedCategory=Customer+Relations
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »
They ask two different times for an email: once for contact info when you put in your name and DOB, and once when you pay for the e-ticket.  You probably didn't put in contact info, so they didn't contact you.

If they had looked at your mileage number and used that, someone would've complained about privacy and personal info not being used properly.

IMHO, if you didn't put in contact info on the passenger info page, you sort of shot yourself in the foot.

Sorry it played out this way.