Author Topic: DL buys stake in VS  (Read 3915 times)

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
DL buys stake in VS
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Delta confirms to buy 49% of Virgin Atlantic from Singapore Air. Virgin to retain brand, Virgin Group/Branson to keep 51% stake

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: DL buys stake in VS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
Hopefully they'll join Skyteam soon!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
If they do, at least we won't have to worry about not redeeming for VS F :P

Unless, of course, DL considers the "Upper" in Upper Class to = F 
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
If they do, at least we won't have to worry about not redeeming for VS F :P

Lol

I doubted Delta wouldn't charge YQ for VA, as AA charges for BA, so no need to be excited.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
They won't.  It's not coded that way.

I doubted Delta wouldn't charge YQ for VA, as AA charges for BA, so no need to be excited.
-1, DL has actually been getting rid of a lot partner YQs of late.  And charge none on ST members ex-USA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Lol

Well, first it's VS, not VA. Second, what does the fact that AA charges YQ for flights on BA have to do with DL charging it for flights on VS? Last, HA did not charge YQ for redemptions on VS.

So a man can hope.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
I should've bought DAL when the rumors started last week, would've gained 6%+...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
I should've bought DAL when the rumors started last week, would've gained 6%+...

Nah, you shoulda bought option (or sold puts) and you coulda gained 100X that...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »
Nah, you shoulda bought option (or sold puts) and you coulda gained 100X that...

Bought an option is better as it limits my risk. Rumors could fall apart which (FWIU) can hurt me with a sold put. Please CMIIW.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
Nope, your downside risk to selling a put is the stock going to zero, thus both ways (buying a call and selling a put) have a downside limit.

Contrast that with selling a call, or buying a put (where the downside risk is unlimited).

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
Well, first it's VS, not VA. Second, what does the fact that AA charges YQ for flights on BA have to do with DL charging it for flights on VS? Last, HA did not charge YQ for redemptions on VS.

So a man can hope.

It's all about the competition in the market. There is a reason why all US based airlines aren't charging yQ, and almost all European based airlines are charging.
Now, once AA has broken that and started charging on BA, I can easily see DL copying that with VS, especially when there is nothing true competitive on VA that doesn't charge that (besides HA, which is no more considerable for most people).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
It's all about the competition in the market. There is a reason why all US based airlines aren't charging yQ, and almost all European based airlines are charging.
Now, once AA has broken that and started charging on BA, I can easily see DL copying that with VS, especially when there is nothing true competitive on VA that doesn't charge that (besides HA, which is no more considerable for most people).
The AA/BA situation is pretty unique.  AA was never allowed to sell BA TATL award tickets and to make that happen they had to agree to the onerous YQ.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
The AA/BA situation is pretty unique.  AA was never allowed to sell BA TATL award tickets and to make that happen they had to agree to the onerous YQ.

Well, I guess we'll wait and see. Something tells me DL won't be so generous not to charge YQ.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
Well, I guess we'll wait and see. Something tells me DL won't be so generous not to charge YQ.

They don't on AF... or KLM... or KE... or... even most importantly: Virgin Australia.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
They don't on AF... or KLM... or KE... or... even most importantly: Virgin Australia.
Bingo.  Was just about to post that before your edit.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
even most importantly: Virgin Australia.
They just stopped recently for the flights out of the USA. Till recently they were charging close to $1000 on a single award ticket departing the USA.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
They just stopped recently for the flights out of the USA. Till recently they were charging close to $1000 on a single award ticket departing the USA.

Operative word.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »
But you see the trend I mentioned...

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
Dear XXXXX,

We are delighted to announce a new strategic alliance with Delta Air Lines.

We believe this is very exciting news for our members, for our business and signals the start of a new era of growth and opportunities. On 11th December 2012, we announced that Delta will acquire a 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic from Singapore Airlines. Virgin Group - and Richard Branson - will continue as majority shareholder with a 51% stake in Virgin Atlantic.

Our new partnership with Delta will provide a significant boost for both airlines between North America and the UK, particularly in the New York-London market, which is one of the most competitive business markets in the world.

We have also announced a joint venture with Delta which will create an expanded transatlantic network. By combining the strengths of our two companies in a joint venture, we can better serve customers travelling between North America and the UK and continue building a better airline for our employees, shareholders and most importantly our customers.

In order to realise all the benefits of the joint venture, the US Department of Transportation (DOT) will need to grant Delta and ourselves regulatory approval. Because we believe there are major consumer benefits, we are confident that the DOT will approve the joint venture and it will come into effect within the next 12 months.

As always we will keep you posted on how we are progressing and will be in touch soon with more information about some exciting Flying Club Programme changes.

For more information visit www.virginatlantic.com

Thank you so much for your on-going support.

Steve Ridgway
 Chief Executive

What does that mean?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
Exactly what it says.