Topic Wiki

Let's go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244090048/1811542881?token=dec302de

But please, please don't donate instead of tzdakah! I'd feel horrible if you do that.
« Last edited by meshugener on May 11, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »

Author Topic: Lucky's Latest Adventure  (Read 240692 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Lucky's Latest Adventure
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
I.E. you can use your miles at .9-1cpm.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
-1: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1486582757/one-mile-at-a-time-the-etihad-residences/backers

The only thing that bothers me is the sheer excess of flushing $25K down the drain for a 7 hour flight review that won't apply to any of his readers.  But I don't necessarily fault him for trying.
The backers just enjoy vicariously living through him I suppose.
His parents didn't donate?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 09, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
Seems like you can book the Residences for 2,365,199 Etihad Guest points plus 183.21 British pounds.
Anyone want to crowdfund me the GBPs? I can get 2M points easy from opening 20 Etihad Exec CC's. If only there was a thread to help me count exactly how many seconds I'll need to wait for churning, how many seconds till my miles post...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Surprised that more people here arent bothered by Lucky's kickstarter program.  Obviously he can do whatever he wants and if people want to give then they can.  But asking is still wrong in my opinion.  Wrong meaning something that you shouldnt do.  And all of his soliloquy about it being ridiculous doesnt make it better.  And I will be the first to call absolute BS on him being just as happy if it doesnt get funded.  I completely agree with what that other blog criticized (maybe not the taxes part, who cares about that). 
I wonder why these people really need a review of this cabin that they will never fly and know is absolutely awesome.  Yeah, if he was going on it then i would want to know about the experience.  But that others should pay for it just so that he can experience and write about it, I dont get that.

Blah blah blah.

His readers--more than a few--suggested he start this campaign. He didn't come up with it on his own.

And even if he did? So what?

This is a guy who reviews F products for a living, and he's been extremely successful doing it, and people flock to his blog in droves. This is a product he wouldn't otherwise get to try, and his readers--who were the ones who suggested the campaign in the first place--would like to see a review of it from someone they've come to trust. Their money, their choice.

People can choose to spend their money any way they choose within the bounds of the law. This isn't communist Russia.  I'm sure you'd pay no mind to someone being put off by your choosing to spend $14 on a kosher burger instead of donating that same money to the Red Cross.

Don't be a hypocrite.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »
So what exactly bothers you? He's not forcing anyone to pay,  nor will he know which readers did,  and which didnt. 

If someone donates, they obviously feel it's worth it for them (the review),  or maybe they just like doing wild things.

Why would they make any difference to you.? If you think it's ridiculous,  then dont donate. 

I don't understand why it's ridiculous for him to do such a campaign -  just bec there are crazy people that would donate to it. 

What does one have to do with the other?
I dont think he should have even asked.  Personally I would feel bad taking people's money for such a thing.  I explained that it doesnt make a difference to me and I dont plan on donating.  Just expressing my opinion that I think its wrong.  No one has to agree with my opinion either, I was just surprised that more people on this forum didnt share it.  Not trying to convince anyone.

The only thing that bothers me is the sheer excess of flushing $25K down the drain for a 7 hour flight review that won't apply to any of his readers.  But I don't necessarily fault him for trying.
exactly what bothers me, except that I do fault him for trying.  Just because people are crazy enough to donate for this cause doesnt make it right to ask them to.  And all of his attempts at saying that he understands that it is crazy and doesnt expect people to give nor blame them if they dont, doesnt take away from the fact that he asked them to.

Maybe that's because people here are smart and aren't bothered by things that don't actually effect them?! It's a free world my friend. And as long as he's not exploiting anyone, or doing anything bad, why would you care?

It's crazy? Yes! It definitely is. But there are lots of people doing crazy stuff, that's how the world works. That doesn't make it wrong though.
Dont get me wrong, it doesnt bother me that much and it isnt going to keep me up at night.  I just dont agree with it.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
Blah blah blah.

His readers--more than a few--suggested he start this campaign. He didn't come up with it on his own.

And even if he did? So what?

This is a guy who reviews F products for a living, and he's been extremely successful doing it, and people flock to his blog in droves. This is a product he wouldn't otherwise get to try, and his readers--who were the ones who suggested the campaign in the first place--would like to see a review of it from someone they've come to trust. Their money, their choice.

People can choose to spend their money any way they choose within the bounds of the law. This isn't communist Russia.  I'm sure you'd pay no mind to someone being put off by your choosing to spend $14 on a kosher burger instead of donating that same money to the Red Cross.

Don't be a hypocrite.
I am not a hypocrite and dont appreciate being called one.  I am not sure what I said that makes you think I am being hypocritical

I am not asking anyone else to pay for my kosher burger.  I get to spend my money on whatever I want and so does everyone else.  I dont like that he asked people to think about spending it on him so that he can give them this review.  And although some people asked for it there are many people who are giving that did not.  Again, I have no problem with the people giving.  I dont agree with him asking for it.  Sometimes people are ok with giving money for frivolous things for whatever reason, I just wouldnt feel comfortable asking people to do so.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:36:26 PM by springles »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
I shouldn't have said don't be a "hypocrite." Sorry. I should have said don't be "hypocritical," which, appreciate it or not, you're being.

He began the campaign at the suggestion of the very people who wanted to donate. And you're taking issue with the fact that some of the people who are donating are not the ones who suggested it? Please.

Once he began the campaign at others' suggestion, people can choose to spend their money on it, on rainbow colored ices, or fortune tellers.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »
As ridiculous as I think the idea is, I have to agree with AJK's view.

Although the part that rubbed me the wrong way was (as someone here already mentioned)
"...the main challenges include finding reasonable positioning flights to Abu Dhabi, and home from London. If needed I can use my own resources for these flights though."
Seriously?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2014, 03:56:10 PM »
As ridiculous as I think the idea is, I have to agree with AJK's view.

Although the part that rubbed me the wrong way was (as someone here already mentioned) Seriously?

See, that's the one small thing that bothered me.

If the total cost is X, he should have some skin in the game as well by only seeking a campaign raising X less 10-20%, or something along those lines.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
I still am not sure what is hypocritical about what I am saying. I don't think it is right for him to ask for this even if people offered. I've never done something like that that I can think of. So what is hypocritical?
I shouldn't have said don't be a "hypocrite." Sorry. I should have said don't be "hypocritical," which, appreciate it or not, you're being.

He began the campaign at the suggestion of the very people who wanted to donate. And you're taking issue with the fact that some of the people who are donating are not the ones who suggested it? Please.

Once he began the campaign at others' suggestion, people can choose to spend their money on it, on rainbow colored ices, or fortune tellers.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
I still am not sure what is hypocritical about what I am saying. I don't think it is right for him to ask for this even if people offered. I've never done something like that that I can think of. So what is hypocritical?
So I would just call you stupid. Sorry.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
But if people are willing to pay the entire cost why should he not take it?
See, that's the one small thing that bothered me.

If the total cost is X, he should have some skin in the game as well by only seeking a campaign raising X less 10-20%, or something along those lines.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »
So I would just call you stupid. Sorry.
I'm sorry that having an opinion different than yours makes me stupid.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
I'm sorry that not understanding why it is hypocritical  makes me stupid.
FTFY.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
FTFY.
so please explain and make me less stupid.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
But if people are willing to pay the entire cost why should he not take it?

I'm not saying he shouldn't. He should. I just think he should have made the gesture of "hey, I'm in this thing, too."

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
Take a walk, and think it over. But only if you're not in NY, in NY it's rainy now. If you're in NY, just relax on the coach.

And read again what people posted on here. Read Lucky's article again.

This sounds very stupid  I don't think it is right for him to ask for this even if people offered.

Offline Saver2000

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
-1: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1486582757/one-mile-at-a-time-the-etihad-residences/backers
True,  but that's not what I meant. 

I meant that he's not exploiting his readers.

He even posted that he can't offer any type of prize or contest specifically for those that donated,  bec kickstarter doesn't allow it. 

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
You said I was stupid for not seeing what was hypocritical. Now you can't explain what was hypocritical?
Take a walk, and think it over. But only if you're not in NY, in NY it's rainy now. If you're in NY, just relax on the coach.

And read again what people posted on here. Read Lucky's article again.

This sounds very stupid  I don't think it is right for him to ask for this even if people offered.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
As far as you being hypocritical: