Topic Wiki

Let's go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244090048/1811542881?token=dec302de

But please, please don't donate instead of tzdakah! I'd feel horrible if you do that.
« Last edited by meshugener on May 11, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »

Author Topic: Lucky's Latest Adventure  (Read 240731 times)

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky's Latest Adventure
« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »
I happen to agree to an extent with this. If he had said that people wanted him to review this cabin but unfortunately he can't afford it. However he would be willing to pay $2500 (or whatever number he felt was reasonable) for it so if people wanted to help him cover the balance. That would have been very different and much more palatable. But he didn't do that.
I'm not saying he shouldn't. He should. I just think he should have made the gesture of "hey, I'm in this thing, too."

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
As far as you being hypocritical:
I never took issue with those who gave him money, I have an issue with him asking for it.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #322 on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
I never took issue with those who gave him money, I have an issue with him asking for it.

Despite the fact--and I've said this no less than three time at this point--that he began the campaign at the suggestion of the very people who wanted to donate?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 09, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »
Despite the fact--and I've said this no less than three time at this point--that he began the campaign at the suggestion of the very people who wanted to donate?
yes, even though some readers suggested he do it I don't feel that he should have. Just because people are willing to do something doesn't mean that it is right to ask them to do it

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »
yes, even though some readers suggested he do it I don't feel that he should have. Just because people are willing to do something doesn't mean that it is right to ask them to do it
:o

He didn't ask anybody for anything.  They suggested that he set up a platform for them to donate. 

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
I respect all your opinions and hope you can respect mine too. Either way I spent more time discussing this then I anticipated and don't feel it would be productive to discuss any further.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #326 on: May 09, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
I respect all your opinions and hope you can respect mine too.
You're hardly alone: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1575218-omat-holding-kickstarter-fund-his-travel.html
And that's after dozens of deleted posts that attacked him too personally.

Funny how it seems most are either strongly pro or against this.  I'm just on the fence.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #327 on: May 09, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Funny how it seems most are either strongly pro or against this.  I'm just on the fence.

You give a different impression.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #328 on: May 09, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
You give a different impression.
As I've said numerous times, I think the concept and excess is utterly ridiculous.
But I don't personally fault him for milking it.  It's basically is 21st century panhandling, and if that doesn't bother him then more power to him.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 09, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »
As I've said numerous times, I think the concept and excess is utterly ridiculous.
But I don't personally fault him for milking it.  It's basically is 21st century panhandling, and if that doesn't bother him then more power to him.

How does you calling what he's doing "21st century panhandling" and "groveling for money" put you on the fence?

How does you saying that the "the concept and excess is utterly ridiculous" and "Crowdfund $25K for a 7 hour flight, heck no." put you on the fence?

Because you SAY you're on the fence? I'd never presume to tell you how you feel, but your words seem lead to a different inexorable conclusion.

And, IMHO, the below seems to rub his face in just how "ridiculous" his campaign is. Just not sure I see the need. Or how you're impartial.

But $24K for 7 fleeting hours? That’s 33% more expensive than my car!  I’m far more proud of the numerous DDF fundraisers such as $24K raised on DDF to help a fellow DDF’er in need and the thousands of dollars raised as a scholarship fund for Jewda’s daughter.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »
Because in the end of the day I'd say good for him for being the only one of us that will ever do it.  I'm not going to even pretend to not be a little jealous.

I don't get the people that are angry with him just for doing something that we can all agree (including lucky himself) is positively ludicrous.

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 09, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
How does you calling what he's doing "21st century panhandling" and "groveling for money" put you on the fence?

How does you saying that the "the concept and excess is utterly ridiculous" and "Crowdfund $25K for a 7 hour flight, heck no." put you on the fence?

Because you SAY you're on the fence? I'd never presume to tell you how you feel, but your words seem lead to a different inexorable conclusion.

And, IMHO, the below seems to rub his face in just how "ridiculous" his campaign is. Just not sure I see the need. Or how you're impartial.

My popcorn is ready :-)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
My popcorn is ready :-)

Put it away. Nothing to see here really.

He's entitled to his opinion, I'm just confused as to how he's on the fence.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »
Because in the end of the day I'd say good for him for being the only one of us that will ever do it.  I'm not going to even pretend to not be a little jealous.

I'll bet hard money there will be a DDFer in it within 24 months of debut.

If you really want to do it for cheap see if there's a way to have it as part of a tkt originating in Venezuela
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »
He's entitled to his opinion, I'm just confused as to how he's on the fence.
There are people calling him a spoiled brat and saying he epitomizes everything wrong with millennials and bloggers and there are people calling him a genius.

I fall into neither camp, not the rah-rah camp and not the angries.  It's excessive and not particularly classy, but good for him for being able to do something none of us probably ever will.  I don't fault him for that.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 09, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
I'll bet hard money there will be a DDFer in it within 24 months of debut.

If you really want to do it for cheap see if there's a way to have it as part of a tkt originating in Venezuela
B'chavod. Please prove me wrong!

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »
He likes to fly and try out products. He can't justify buying a ticket business wise, as it will never pay off. It will not generate enough traffic to his website because of it.

So if people are willing to pay for it, good for him. Is it cheap to ask people to pay for his trip, yes and no...

Not to many people will gain anything from his report, but it's interesting and people are willing to pay. The same way people will pay for a magazin, that has pictures of villas interior designs

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
Can't argue with anything you said.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »
In the last day it stopped. Almost not a penny added in the last day. Maybe he's tapped.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
I think he's not going to make it.