31 (19.9%)
No
57 (36.5%)
I plan on getting one eventually
67 (42.9%)
I used to
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Guns Master Thread  (Read 138513 times)

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Recommendations
« Reply #400 on: May 16, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
I'm curious what the oilem here thinks about how old you would let a son or a daughter start learning to shoot. Different for boys and girls?

Oh, and the reason I am posting on this thread is because I am curious what kind of gun you would start a kid with. Obviously it cannot be something that will fly out of his hand. I also have a feeling that nobody should fire a weapon that they themselves don't know how to take care of.
Start early and you can always use a .22
Don't worry about flying out of their hands. DW is not that strong and shoots a SW629 like it was a .22
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
Plus 17 bullets is far better than 8...
What the hell are you guys shooting at? Maybe rename this thread "members that should not own a gun."  :P
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #402 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »
What the hell are you guys shooting at? Maybe rename this thread "members that should not own a gun."  :P
Glad you decided what is right and wrong and who the constitution applies to. Your comments here are ridiculous.

How many people do you plan on mugging you? Do you know it will just be 1, 2, or 3? Do you know the accuracy of a trained police officer in a real life shootout? With 8 bullets maybe 1 hits the mark...

Seriously statistically a police office will hit his mark about 1.5 times with 8 shots in a shootout. So run your logic by me one more time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:08:44 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 16, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
Of course my comments are ridicules. Coming from someone who needs 17 shots I will consider the source.  ;)
A police shooting and a mugging are two different things. If someone try's and mug a police officer and he misses then he should not own a gun.
Out of curiosity how many hours/courses of self defensive training with a firearm have you had?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #404 on: May 16, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
Out of curiosity how many hours/courses of self defensive training with a firearm have you had?
I am not the one telling people who should and should not own a gun. I believe in the constitution...

You casually avoided all of my points, and asked an irrelevant question.

So the only reason you are carrying is to protect you from one person or two people mugging you? But if there are 4 muggers, or it's a shootout you are in middle of, or a terrorist attack etc... you don't care to be prepared?

I'm not saying everyone needs 17 bullets, I'm saying all things equal someone who has 17 is better off than someone with 8 in many cases. Not sure how you can argue with that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:16:17 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »

Hundreds, with tens of thousands of rounds down the pipe.

I'm still curious what trained professional taught you not to keep one in the chamber for your daily carry.

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #406 on: May 16, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »
Status update. Going with the Springfield XD mod 2.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 16, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »
Status update. Going with the Springfield XD mod 2.

Nice.  Which barrel?

Have you picked out some holsters yet?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 16, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
I'm still curious what trained professional taught you not to keep one in the chamber for your daily carry.
Where did I say that?

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 16, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
Glad you decided what is right and wrong and who the constitution applies to. Your comments here are ridiculous.

How many people do you plan on mugging you? Do you know it will just be 1, 2, or 3? Do you know the accuracy of a trained police officer in a real life shootout? With 8 bullets maybe 1 hits the mark...

Seriously statistically a police office will hit his mark about 1.5 times with 8 shots in a shootout. So run your logic by me one more time.

Don't go the police officer route...
Most cops are not a good shot... Unless they are on a specialized sniper or swat team then they may be better, but for the most part cops have horrible aim.
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 16, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
I am not the one telling people who should and should not own a gun. I believe in the constitution...

You casually avoided all of my points, and asked an irrelevant question.

So the only reason you are carrying is to protect you from one person or two people mugging you? But if there are 4 muggers, or it's a shootout you are in middle of, or a terrorist attack etc... you don't care to be prepared?

I'm not saying everyone needs 17 bullets, I'm saying all things equal someone who has 17 is better off than someone with 8 in many cases. Not sure how you can argue with that.
I carry for protection. I can't envision being in a shoot out or a terrorist attack. I do have other guns for those situations.

Lets address your mugging situation. Lets say you are attacked by four muggers. If they all have guns no amount of bullets will help you out. Lets say they all have knives. If you are forced to shoot the first one then probably one of two things will happen. The other three will run away or the other three will also attack you. Either way you don't need 17 rounds.

Just because you have a right to own a gun doesn't mean everyone should.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 16, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
Don't go the police officer route...
Most cops are not a good shot... Unless they are on a specialized sniper or swat team then they may be better, but for the most part cops have horrible aim.
He is comparing shootout situations with muggings that take place at close range. No comparison between the two of them.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 16, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
Where did I say that?

You stated that I and the people I know shouldn't carry because we keep one in the chamber. The implication being that you're well-trained in proper carry methods and etiquette. I was just wondering where you got the training.

To clarify, everyone I've trained with is either current or ex LEO/military and every single one says to keep one in the chamber and leave the safety off. Or better yet, don't buy a carry gun with an external safety.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 16, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »
You assumed I meant that instead of asking me. The part I disagree with you is the part about the safety because I assumed everyone you know did not have hours of professional training. New school says you don't need to keep the safety on because in the heat of battle you might forget about it. I am old school and say 100% BS.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #414 on: May 16, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »
Nice.  Which barrel?

Have you picked out some holsters yet?

3" Barrel. Looking at the Blackhawk Sherpa holster.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2016, 09:17:59 PM »
Generally people carry guns because of UNKNOWN dangers.. anything from the living dead to a chinese invasion to a mob or a terrorist attack etc

You could get lost or car breaks down and attacked by 1 or 2 thugs and more show up

A terror attack is sadly a real danger

Being attacked by a dog / dogs could require using a lot of bullets

Who cares why ? whatever makes you feel safe and is legal.. and your pants dont fall down WTF do I care what people carry.

I carry the threat of swift justice and holly hell.. No guns or me till I get surgery on my hand, I cant draw well etc

I'm a 1911 type person with pure .45 firepower truth is I cant even remember the ballistics and velocity on the grain and FPS

Offline ShlockDoc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 16, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »

The Constitution does not say that everyone should own a gun. It doesn't even say that everyone can.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 16, 2016, 11:32:23 PM »
The Constitution does not say that everyone should own a gun. It doesn't even say that everyone can.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 17, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »

read the federalist and anti federalist papers

Offline afro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 17, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »
I don't own a gun but me and my rebetzin go shooting often. I would get a gun as I"m petrified of a "Walking Dead" matzav.
I will not respond to PM about the UPS method.

I will not respond to PM about the BBLD method.