31 (19.9%)
No
57 (36.5%)
I plan on getting one eventually
67 (42.9%)
I used to
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Guns Master Thread  (Read 135932 times)

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Ban guns
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
That's exactly my point.  He never stated his opinion, only to address "the tone of my post."  I'm sorry I didn't riddle the statement with "my opinion" "i feel" "i believe" but I thought it was implied that statements on substantive issues/discussions are riddled with opinion and interpretation. I'm sorry more was read into it.

Instead of addressing the substance of MY OPINION he name called, then separately alluded to something more than "the tone" being off.  I believe my opinion is the correct one, don't we all?  I'd love to hear the counterpoints, instead of just being called an a$$ for expressing it.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
That's exactly my point.  He never stated his opinion, only to address "the tone of my post."  I'm sorry I didn't riddle the statement with "my opinion" "i feel" "i believe" but I thought it was implied that statements on substantive issues/discussions are riddled with opinion and interpretation. I'm sorry more was read into it.

Instead of addressing the substance of MY OPINION he name called, then separately alluded to something more than "the tone" being off.  I believe my opinion is the correct one, don't we all?  I'd love to hear the counterpoints, instead of just being called an a$$ for expressing it.
There is etiquette on a forum, and when you break it a member will probably call you out. Just how it is.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
You looking to sell?

I would love to but I know he's going to ask me about it next time he visits...  I have others that I want to sell.  Think I should start a thread in the buying/selling forum?   ;)

Offline clear thinker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
You guys just can't wait until Friday can you? Anyone who keeps talking about an AR-15 doesn't know jack about guns. I wouldn't use one of those pieces of sh*t if it was free.
It's nice to finally see someone agreeing with you.....

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0QV26520150826

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »

CMIIW Achas.
That I will do, I had nothing against his tone, I have everything against what he said that innocent people dying is an "acceptable price" to pay. I can understand the argument that having guns around saves lives, but if it endangers more lives than it saves than no, a life of not an "acceptable price" for some ambiguous notion of "Freedom".

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2015, 05:00:57 PM »
I'm doubling down on my earlier statement. If Thomas Jefferson were able to see into the future he would have put an expiration date on the 2nd Ammendment.

http://q13fox.com/2015/10/01/reports-shooter-at-oregon-community-college-mutiple-fatalities-reported/

Sorry gun lovers.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
I'm doubling down on my earlier statement. If Thomas Jefferson were able to see into the future he would have put an expiration date on the 2nd Ammendment.

http://q13fox.com/2015/10/01/reports-shooter-at-oregon-community-college-mutiple-fatalities-reported/

Sorry gun lovers.

It's a good thing we don't make laws based on time machine magic...

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »
It's a good thing we don't make laws based on time machine magic...

You misunderstood me. I'm not a gun control advocate. I am very aware that it is impossible to put any kind of gun control into effect without hurting good people. I just have a philosophy that if the 2nd Amendment would be repealed in the 1800's, we would probably be a safer country today.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
You misunderstood me. I'm not a gun control advocate. I am very aware that it is impossible to put any kind of gun control into effect without hurting good people. I just have a philosophy that if the 2nd Amendment would be repealed in the 1800's, we would probably be a safer country today.
Or we would have lost WWII to the Germans.

Hard thing telling the future is.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »
I thought the second amendment is in case the government forces start breaking the laws. Nothing to do with safety.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 01, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »

It's possible.  Or it's possible that the ban on guns would have been a failure like the War on Drugs.  Then only the bad people would have guns and no good people.  That would be a bad scenario.  Who knows what would have been...

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »
I thought the second amendment is in case the government forces start breaking the laws. Nothing to do with safety.

SCOTUS ruled in DC vs Heller that the second amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
Or we would have lost WWII to the Germans.

Hard thing telling the future is.

Banning guns has nothing to do with the military. We didn't fight WWII with personal home weapons.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »
It's possible.  Or it's possible that the ban on guns would have been a failure like the War on Drugs.  Then only the bad people would have guns and no good people.  That would be a bad scenario.  Who knows what would have been...

It's pretty clear from countries like the UK that making guns illegal all across the board does indeed work. Mexican cartels are happily using US made weapons.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »
It's pretty clear from countries like the UK that making guns illegal all across the board does indeed work. Mexican cartels are happily using US made weapons.
It would have to be a 100% ban. That is never going to happen so what it is the next best step?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2015, 05:34:38 PM »

Apples and oranges for many reason.   The gun culture in the US, both legal and illegal is far more pervasive than it was in other places. Also, the US, by its nature, doesn't accept government control as obediently.  Think Prohibition and drugs. 

There are already SO many gun laws on the books.  Gun deaths with decrease when we start stricter enforcement of the existing ones not making new ones.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 01, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
Banning guns has nothing to do with the military. We didn't fight WWII with personal home weapons.
Companies that develop guns spend a lot of money on research which is profitable because of the public purchasing firearms.

Point is you don't know all the effects one decision can have.

And your time machine example is very short sighted. You meant to say if he had a time machine and only looked at today it may have changed his decision. But what about centuries from now etc.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »
It would have to be a 100% ban. That is never going to happen so what it is the next best step?

1.  Anyone caught with an illegal gun, 10 years in prison minimum, no parole. 
2.  More suicide prevention/education.

90% of gun deaths eliminated...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:40:31 PM by ShlockDoc »

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2015, 05:39:30 PM »
Legal guns help counteract illegal guns, which will be obtained illegally anyways.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
1.  Anyone caught with an illegal gun, 10 years in prison minimum, no parole. 
2.  More suicide prevention/education.

90% of gun deaths eliminated...
You are dreaming. You can have the penalty be life in prison and it will no effect on inner city violence or mass killings.
I just found a new supply of forks!