Author Topic: Landlord Issue  (Read 5269 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Landlord Issue
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
AJK is likely right in this regard. A lease need not be in writing to afford you the basic rights of a tenant. Conversely, no written lease will immunize the tenant entirely from a landlord's shenanigans.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »
Written lease doesn't protect you from that...
AJK is likely right in this regard. A lease need not be in writing to afford you the basic rights of a tenant. Conversely, no written lease will immunize the tenant entirely from a landlord's shenanigans.
But at least, he'll think twice before doing something unfair.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Costs
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
What would you do?

Mrs. EliteFlyer and I have been living in a first floor apartment for several years in relative peace with my landlord who lives upstairs. There is no formal written lease in place. When we moved in, he stated that with regard to repair-related expenses, he would take care of the "big things" and we should take care of the "small things."

As the months went on, it never became clear what this policy meant: There were in fact some big things that he refused to fix and some small things that he paid for. For example, when the included washer broke, he refused to replace it, claiming he rented the apartment "as is." On the other hand, on the occasions that the faucet in the bathtub would break and continuously flow, he would (reluctantly) call a plumber to fix it.

My wife and I have taken good care of the apartment, keep it clean (unlike some of his previous tenants) and prefer to have a cordial relationship with our landlord, particularly because he lives in the same house. Thus, we have repaired some items at our own expense with out even calling him (such as buying a new shower head and hose and doing some minor repairs on the toilet and sink drain).

This past week, the heat was out for several days, and we called to let him know. The reality is that it was not working in his apartment either. He repaired it without incident. Then today, I noticed that the faucet was leaking in the bathtub again. This seems to happen every 4-6 months, and I suspect that each time he repairs it, he has the plumber buy the cheapest supplies possible. I never recall having a leaky bathtub so often growing up!

I called the landlord, and he blew up at me that he is not responsible for "small things like the plumbing." He goes on to tell me that he thinks its wrong that we expect him to do "everything" while we sit back and do "nothing." I politely, but firmly told him that it is is house, and his water bill, and my call was intended as a courtesy to him. Moreover, such is the nature of a lease: I pay rent every month and this is not my home to do routine repairs on. Of course, if I damage something, I will repair it.

We left the conversation there. I would not be surprised if he ends up getting a plumber himself, but I am considering just calling a plumber and taking care of it on my own if he does nothing in the next few days. Our rent is at a decent price, and I would prefer not to rock the boat too much. In the three years we have been here, the rent was only moderately raised once, and that was a few months ago.  Perhaps its worth overlooking who is technically or legally in the right here and just repair it myself.

What would you do?
Sorry for your troubles.

The grass is not greener on the other side.
Every landlord/tenant there are thorns.
price/noise/ neighborhood/ parking/ect
If you find a nicer landlord, he wont give you a spot.
If he gives you a parking spot, his kids make a racket.
You get the point.

My issue is the noise :)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
But at least, he'll think twice before doing something unfair.

Again, incorrect.

There's no basis for the belief that a written lease will be any more of a deterrent or any more effective than an oral lease with respect to ones rights as a tenant or the responsibilities of a landlord.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »
Again, incorrect.

There's no basis for the belief that a written lease will be any more of a deterrent or any more effective than an oral lease with respect to ones rights as a tenant or the responsibilities of a landlord.
+1, this guy is an obvious dirtbag

Offline ShmuliT

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
Landlord Issue
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »
What would you do?
On a practical note, I would do some googling or youtubing to see if its a simple job to fix myself without the cost of a plumber.

Where exactly is it leaking from?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Costs
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
Sorry for your troubles.

The grass is not greener on the other side.
Every landlord/tenant there are thorns.
price/noise/ neighborhood/ parking/ect
If you find a nicer landlord, he wont give you a spot.
If he gives you a parking spot, his kids make a racket.
You get the point.

My issue is the noise :)
since when is parking the landlords responsibility, many houses in my neighborhood don't even have one spot let alone two and even if u live in a development where he has 2 spots,  he may have two cars.
also the neighborhood isn't a  landlord tenant problem.
I am proud to say that I have a great landlord who takes care of plumbing, electric, extermination, etc. promptly. Only after quite a few years in the apt. did he finally raise our rent minimally. It also helps that when i have a leaky faucet or needed a new florescent fixture i did it myself and subtracted it off rent.